Beginning my own cleanings? Ardent butter oil?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Beginning my own cleanings? Ardent butter oil?

Post by f15h1n6 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 pm

I am going to try maintaining a few lower-end reels to avoid cleaning costs at the tackle shop for some of my reels. Can anyone provide feedback on the ardent butter reel oil, how well does it do for its purpose? Are there any other reel oils that do well for most reels (spinning, bait cast, conventional) or is it preferred an oil for each type of reel. Also what about the grease and drag grease. I heard Cal's drag grease is great for most reels but again any help is much appreciated. Thanks

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Beginning my own cleanings? Ardent butter oil?

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:32 pm

I would go on big greenish.com and get some yellow rocket fuel , reel X , super lube and some cal's and you will be covered. It's a great sire for bearings and drag washers too if you have shimanos.

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Can you break down what each of the other three products are for, besides cals grease?

jtesch63
Angler
Angler

Post by jtesch63 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:16 am

Ardent oils and greases are pretty poor in my opinion. I used the Reel Butter and it became sticky and caught dirt. Had to flush it out and relube with a better oil. Grease is way to heavy also.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:10 am

f15h1n6 wrote:Can you break down what each of the other three products are for, besides cals grease?
Check out the website. It explains the uses for each product.

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:47 am

Thanks a bunch! Thats a very helpful site. Do you use those oils over others or do you have any other favorites i can check out?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:18 am

Hedgehog Alchemy Oil light and Med for oil. TSI-301 is an alternative for Stainless, but pricey and might have to remove bearing out of spool to re-lube. For grease there is nothing that beats Superlube for its 400g can price. For Spinning i like to use Studio Ocean Marks salt water lube because i rarely clean spin gear and it stays smooth longer. For drag i use Cals for all purpose and Shimano for finesse applications.

Ardent is crap [-X

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:46 am

Pen3 wrote:Hedgehog Alchemy Oil light and Med for oil. TSI-301 is an alternative for Stainless, but pricey and might have to remove bearing out of spool to re-lube. For grease there is nothing that beats Superlube for its 400g can price. For Spinning i like to use Studio Ocean Marks salt water lube because i rarely clean spin gear and it stays smooth longer. For drag i use Cals for all purpose and Shimano for finesse applications.

Ardent is crap [-X
Thanks for your input. I found ardent at walmart, go figure. I've heard of TSI-301 but there were some concerns that it's not a good mix with plastic parts but again I would use it just for the bearings. I'll check out your recommendations. Thanks

deepblack
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by deepblack » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Ardent is ok for "frame" bearings but is a little heavy in my opinion for spool bearings.

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:29 am

I'll keep that mind. It seems as if spool bearings require thinner oily residue and ardent is thicker in fluid? Planning on buying rocket fuel oil in the week, would this be good for spool bearings?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:44 am

Just order your oil and bearings from Hedgehog Studios. The AIR bearings are the best for aftermarket upgrade and the price isn't that much more than Boccas. Their oil is also at a good price and there isn't anything better next to the ZPI oil which cost much more. You can also pick up a few blings along the way if needed, such as their carbon handles.

I have about 8 sets of Bocca OS just sitting in the drawer... what a waste of money they have been.

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:13 pm

Pen3 wrote:Just order your oil and bearings from Hedgehog Studios. The AIR bearings are the best for aftermarket upgrade and the price isn't that much more than Boccas. Their oil is also at a good price and there isn't anything better next to the ZPI oil which cost much more. You can also pick up a few blings along the way if needed, such as their carbon handles.

I have about 8 sets of Bocca OS just sitting in the drawer... what a waste of money they have been.
What is about the Air bearings that you prefer over the boca orange bearings?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:55 pm

f15h1n6 wrote: What is about the Air bearings that you prefer over the boca orange bearings?
There is just not enough performance gain with the Boccas and it doesn't help with lighter bait application. The start up is much easier especially when you do those slow one hand cast for light application. Price difference is not much and anyone who has tried both bearings can tell you that the AIR is the only bearing you notice a change. For under 1/2oz the AIR BFS is only $21 a set and the normal AIR that covers all Bass fishing range is $33. They also have good anti-rust bearings for $18 a set and they perform just as good if not better than Boccas.

I would also recommend their spool pin remover for $31 vs $38. It is cheaper than the Bocca pliers and does a better job. The problem with the Bocca pliers is when you push the pin through it slams into the shaft violently and the pin in mine is not long enough to push all the way through. I have to purchase a small hole puncher to tape it out if the pin doesn't pop out, but this is usually with pins that has been removed a few times. The Hedgehog tool is more precision with longer pins and your'e just turning the lever as slow or fast as you want to get the right dept when removing or re-installing the pin. In the Bocca pliers you have to insert pressure to push the pin back in and sometimes it goes too far and you have to flip around and push it back again [-(

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 am

Thanks Pen3 for your input. Have you tried cast distance with the air bearings compared to you boca os? My concern is getting the most out of my cast distance and you mentioned the air works better for lighter applications and slow one hand casts? So how does it rate against the boca for cast distance? (If you ever tried that experiment)

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:39 am

It does everything better, the ease of light application is just a bonus due to the micro bearings.