Old Shimano Anti-Reverse Problem

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Jason Short
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Old Shimano Anti-Reverse Problem

Post by Jason Short » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:41 am

I have an old Shimano Bantam Black Magnum 101 reel that has a problem with the anti-reverse, and I haven't worked on any reels this old so I'm not sure what to do. When I flip the on/off switch on the top it works for a little bit, but then it lets the handle spin again. If I spend enough time checking it out I will probably figure it out eventually, but I thought I would see if you guys knew what to do before I spend an hour trying to fix it! Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!

Triton21x MD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Old Shimano Anti-Reverse Problem

Post by Triton21x MD » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:48 pm

If you can take it apart, all you probably need to do is clean out the bearing and very lightly oil it. There is probably just some dirt keeping it from locking up and not allowing it bind the rollers.

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Clean it up with rubbing alcohol. Air dry (or hair dry!) and make sure it's completely clean and dry. 1 tiny drop of oil and disperse around with a Qtip. If that doesn't work, time to replace the Anti Reverse bearing.

Jason Short
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jason Short » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:40 am

This reel doesn't have an anti-reverse bearing. The anti reverse is dependent on the anti-reverse pawl which is giving me some trouble.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:29 am

The pawl is an easy fix but the reel must be opened to find the source of the problem. Pawl needs to pop down and lock in the gear as the teeth go by.

That is an old reel so if an hour is too much time to invest, plenty of options.

Jason Short
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jason Short » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I have opened up the reel and cleaned everything then put it back together. It works better than before I cleaned it up but it still doesn't always lock into place. I'm not sure what it is, I will probably just end up using the reel for parts.

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 am

Make sure the tabs on the pawl are pinched to the gear that engages the pawl. Grease it pretty well.