Ceramic Bearing Lube

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Ceramic Bearing Lube

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 am

Which lube to U use and why on Ceramic Bearings ???
also which lube will last the longest in a Ceramic Bearing.
On S.Steel bearings I use TSI 301 which will make the S.Steel Bearing very fast and will last for months.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ceramic Bearing Lube

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:05 am

I run ceramics dry. Any lube seems to make them very slow.

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:16 am

100% ceramic bearings do not need any oil or lubrication.

If you have hybrid bearings with just ceramic balls and steel races, the oil is mainly used to help prevent corrosion of the steel and nothing else.

Reading the Boca bearing FAQ page is really useful in this area:

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inf ... -questions

Q: Do full ceramic bearings need lubrication?

A: No, full ceramic bearings can be run completely dry. They do not need lubrication to run. Ceramic is non-porous, unlike steel, as a result it is virtually frictionless. Ceramic also dissipates heat very quickly, which is the same reason they use it on the underside of the space shuttle. Because there is no heat buildup and virtually no friction, full ceramic bearings can be run completely dry. They can be cleaned out with regular tap water or any cleaner, they are impervious to corrosion and can operate in a vacuum environment.

Just keep 'em clean...

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 am

I use Orange Seal ceramics Bearings.
I have ran them dry and they are noisy

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:59 am

After getting the TS301, I just don't see the need of ceramic hybrid anymore. A bit too noisy to run it dry. Quite satisfy with the stock bearings after treatment.

Here is a thought regarding the hybrids, since the race and bearing cage are still stainless steel, can't you treat the bearing just the same? It will slow down the bearing somewhat, but not to the extent of any kind of oil lubricant. It should provide a long term protection like regular stainless steel bearings. This is pure speculation, I have not mess with ceramic bearings for quite a long time, at least not on my own reels.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:24 am

I have run orange seal Bocas with TSI 321 for a while now and have had no problems with it. At first they are a little slower but after a few casts the excess lube spins out and leaves the stainless parts protected. My reason for using it is for saltwater protection and it is working great. Don't see much different between stock Shimano ARBs with TSI and orange seals though.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:25 pm

I use only a tiny dab of red Daiwa oil in my OS7's, just to quieten the bearing a bit. And I mean a tiny drop. I take a needle and put the point into the gap between the races. Then put the oil bottle's tip to the needle and squeeze til there is a little on it. That tiny bit will work down the needle and into the bearing if you tap it a little. It is actually way less than a single drop. Any excess will quickly sling out after a few casts anyway. This works well for me.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Also from Boca's FAQ answers:

Q: If I leave my ceramic hybrids dry will they wear faster?

A: Yes, while ceramic hybrid bearings do not need any lubrication to operate the steel races will have a longer life if they have a slight amount of lube on a regular basis.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:25 am

For those who want a bit of oil on their ceramics, look at Oust Met Oil. It is great for for high speed bearings, but requires more frequent application.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:39 am

hobobob wrote:After getting the TS301, I just don't see the need of ceramic hybrid anymore. A bit too noisy to run it dry. Quite satisfy with the stock bearings after treatment.

Here is a thought regarding the hybrids, since the race and bearing cage are still stainless steel, can't you treat the bearing just the same? It will slow down the bearing somewhat, but not to the extent of any kind of oil lubricant. It should provide a long term protection like regular stainless steel bearings. This is pure speculation, I have not mess with ceramic bearings for quite a long time, at least not on my own reels.
Ahh my secret sauce... TSI 301 8-)
Ceramics are little to noisy for me, I usually put one small drop of thin oil, just to quiet it down a little.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:17 am

been using Bocas lightning oil for a few years now...
great stuff so far and quiets the bearings down..

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:17 am

When I first installed Boca orange seals in all my reels several years ago, I used Rem Oil but then switched to Hot Sauce, thinking it was better. After being advised by Boca that the Hot Sauce was detrimental to their performance (they advised Rem Oil or their High Speed oil), I flushed the bearings, applied the High Speed Oil and saw a dramatic improvement. I guess I never noticed that the Hot Sauce was gradually building up and causing drag on the bearings. I’ve since switched back to Rem oil, which is a much lower viscosity and allows even better performance (speed). It does require more frequent application though.

Drundel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drundel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:04 am

I have used both rem oil and boca's oil, both work just as well as each other. Just a note, they are very thin and you'll want to re-apply after each trip.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:38 am

seems like ts301 is the best option, lasts the longest and offers the best performance without slowing down the bearings.no more oils for me ,dry lube is the best option.