Chronarch 50 mg

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Pato54
Angler
Angler

Chronarch 50 mg

Post by Pato54 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:34 am

Hi guys,

I have a chronarch 50mg that I want to do up for my dad. I have carbon drag washers and found a replacement thumb rest (because the original was cracked). I just want to know the sizes for the internal bearings? I am happy to pull the reel down and replace everything but I would prefer not to have to pull it down and measure sizes then order bearings and wait and eventually put it back together? Can anybody tell me? I believe from the schematic there is only two bearings outside the spool and roller bearings.

Thanks,
Luke

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch 50 mg

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:16 am

The easiest way to do it would be to order factory replacements from Shimano. That way you know you have the right size.

https://fishshop.shimano.com/vip/produc ... 9372103602

Bearings other than the spool bearings usually don't add much performance when upgraded, and Shimano's ARB's are some of the best in the game.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:34 am

And the stock spool bearings are pretty good in that reel but the cheaper route would be some SS 7s from big greeen fish or some ceramic boca 7s since the stock bearings are $9 a piece

Pato54
Angler
Angler

Post by Pato54 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks guys,

I found the shimano replacements but just for fun would like to load it with the best ceramics I can (It may be foolish but I had the same argument with a friend about this and he said best is still best and I can't dispute that tbh). I would just love to know the actual sizes? I tried to get a full boca kit a while ago but at the time they were unavailable. Is there anything else you can do to do that particular reel to really tune it up?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Driveshaft bearing size is 5x8x2.5
Pinion bearing size is 8x12x3.5
Here's a link to the complete OS kit for the 50mg including 2 spool bearings, 1 driveshaft and 1 pinion bearing. Right above the bearing picture it says "kit components" and gives you bearing sizes and where they go.
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv ... baitcaster

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:36 pm

This is a little related. I replaced the drag washers on 51mg with carbontex the other day and was stupid and scuffed the paint in one of the screw hole openings with a too large screwdriver bit.

Was shocked that I could get a brand new left sideplate for like $9.00, a thumb pad, which on mine was scuffed for $.90 cents, and I also ordered a new drag star for like $4.00.

I was amazed parts were still available and were that cheap. I spend more on handle knob caps at times.

So check Shimano on-line for any parts you might need for your 50mg.

Rick

Pato54
Angler
Angler

Post by Pato54 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I can now get some parts on the way.

I agree too about the shimano parts. Very impressive what you can still get and at really good prices.