Daiwa TD-Z Spool Inductor color differences?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa TD-Z Spool Inductor color differences?

Post by 78Staff » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:22 am

Searched back a bit but couldn't find anything... Received two TD-Z 103ML reels from Japan this week, and during teardown/inspection/cleaning I noticed the spools have different inductor colors - one is gold, one is red. I *think* from searching and images that gold would be the correct color, but honestly I just don't know for sure. Either way, I assume one is incorrect since they are the same reel model, but don't know which or what the it would be. I assume someone could have swapped a spool at some point? I think the gold is the standard, and the red maybe a Type R+, based on some online photo's I've been able to find.. but don't know for sure.

Does anyone know what the colors are and what they might mean? The gold actually seems to cast better, the red seems to cast ok but that reel does has a bit of a raspy sound on retrieve, although that may be unrelated. I know it needs new drag washers, for instance.

Last edited by 78Staff on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa TD-Z Spool Inductor color differences?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:50 pm

The flat-bottomed spool on the right will excel with long bomb casts, while the spool on the right will be a better pitching spool. The color has nothing to do with it. It's all about how far the rotor cup sticks out when at rest and the taper on the outer edge of the rotor(or lack thereof). That shape and at-rest position of the rotor cup determines how much magnetic resistance is applied during the cast to regulate the speed of the spool. The tapered edge manipulates the intensity of the magnetic filed and how far it sits in the magnetic gap between the inner and outer magnet rings also. For example, if a cup sits out less at rest, it will affect the magnetic field less throughout the entire cast, but will give much less at the very beginning of the cast, which is why it pitches very well. Now, a long cast creates a much-higher RPM, especially at the beginning of the cast, which is why that gold rotor will give you superior control when making long casts. Because the spool accelerates so abruptly during a hard/long cast, the taller rotor and non-tapered edge gives greater control throughout the cast, from beginning to end. The strength of the spring underneath the rotor also plays a role in how easily the cup extends out and for how long during the cast, which is why I still consider Daiwa's Mag V and Mag Z to be marvels of modern engineering. The colors have tended to indicate a specific type of braking profile, but not always. For example, the red rotor with the tapered edge is either Type R or R+ braking. But as a divergent example, the Airy Red Pixy's silver spool with a silver rotor has a tapered edge on it, which is one of the reasons it is still so highly-regarded today. Since that rotor sits out less than others when at rest AND has a tapered edge, it receives less magnetic resistance during the cast and makes it easier to cast lighter baits with minimal effort. This, of course, will only be true if your thumb is highly-educated. And mine still needs a little education...... or at least it sometimes seems very forgetful! :lol:
Last edited by hoohoorjoo on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:06 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:The flat-bottomed spool on the right will excel with long bomb casts, while the spool on the right will be a better pitching spool. The color has nothing to do with it. It's all about how far the rotor cup sticks out when at rest and the taper on the outer edge of the rotor(or lack thereof). That shape and at-rest position of the rotor cup determines how much magnetic resistance is applied during the cast to regulate the speed of the spool. The tapered edge manipulates the intensity of the magnetic filed and how far it sits in the magnetic gap between the inner and outer magnet rings also. For example, if a cup sits out less at rest, it will affect the magnetic field throughout the entire cast, but will give much less at the very beginning of the cast, which is why it pitches very well. Now, a long cast creates a much-higher RPM, especially at the beginning of the cast, which is why that gold rotor will give you superior control when making long casts. Because the spool accelerates so abruptly during a hard/long cast, the taller rotor and non-tapered edge gives greater control throughout the cast, from beginning to end. The strength of the spring underneath the rotor also plays a role in how easily the cup extends out and for how long during the cast, which is why I still consider Daiwa's Mag V and Mag Z to be marvels of modern engineering. The colors have tended to indicate a specific type of braking profile, but not always. For example, the red rotor with the tapered edge is either Type R or R+ braking. But as a divergent example, the Airy Red Pixy's silver spool with a silver rotor has a tapered edge on it, which is one of the reasons it is still so highly-regarded today. Since that rotor sits out less than others when at rest AND has a tapered edge, it receives less magnetic resistance during the cast and makes it easier to cast lighter baits with minimal effort. This, of course, will only be true if your thumb is highly-educated. And mine still needs a little education...... or at least it sometimes seems very forgetful! :lol:
Well said! =D>

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:06 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:The flat-bottomed spool on the right will excel with long bomb casts, while the spool on the right will be a better pitching spool. The color has nothing to do with it. It's all about how far the rotor cup sticks out when at rest and the taper on the outer edge of the rotor(or lack thereof). That shape and at-rest position of the rotor cup determines how much magnetic resistance is applied during the cast to regulate the speed of the spool. The tapered edge manipulates the intensity of the magnetic filed and how far it sits in the magnetic gap between the inner and outer magnet rings also. For example, if a cup sits out less at rest, it will affect the magnetic field throughout the entire cast, but will give much less at the very beginning of the cast, which is why it pitches very well. Now, a long cast creates a much-higher RPM, especially at the beginning of the cast, which is why that gold rotor will give you superior control when making long casts. Because the spool accelerates so abruptly during a hard/long cast, the taller rotor and non-tapered edge gives greater control throughout the cast, from beginning to end. The strength of the spring underneath the rotor also plays a role in how easily the cup extends out and for how long during the cast, which is why I still consider Daiwa's Mag V and Mag Z to be marvels of modern engineering. The colors have tended to indicate a specific type of braking profile, but not always. For example, the red rotor with the tapered edge is either Type R or R+ braking. But as a divergent example, the Airy Red Pixy's silver spool with a silver rotor has a tapered edge on it, which is one of the reasons it is still so highly-regarded today. Since that rotor sits out less than others when at rest AND has a tapered edge, it receives less magnetic resistance during the cast and makes it easier to cast lighter baits with minimal effort. This, of course, will only be true if your thumb is highly-educated. And mine still needs a little education...... or at least it sometimes seems very forgetful! :lol:

Very cool info, thanks for the detailed explanation... So it appears at some point someone swapped spools on the right reel, so unexpected bonus for me it seems :-).

You mentioned a flat bottom spool, however both spools have the same V-shaped profile- I suppose we can assume the red came from a TD-Z Type R or R+ as you mentioned, both of which also appear to come with a V-shaped spool similar to the std. 103 model.

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa/Daiwa_TDZ_TypeR.htm
http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa/Daiwa_ ... R_plus.htm
http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa/Daiwa_TDZ_ML.htm

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:15 pm

I mistakenly thought the spool on the left was from a Steez 100 spool. :doh: I went back and looked and my eyes lied to me. At this point, the only thing keeping me out of glasses is my pride! :lol: The spool on the left is still a casting machine with minimal thumb, while the R+ spool on the right will excel at pitching. And yes, the R+ spool is an unexpected bonus.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:02 am

Yep, I am pretty happy about it. :) As mentioned the reel does have a bit of a "raspy" noise on retrieve (casting is fine), but I planned on getting it gone through with drag upgrade, 7:1 gear swap, etc anyway... Love the TD-Z platform,

I found this page, which has a LOT of Daiwa Spools with weights, it's a pretty cool reference I think. The TD-Z spools are about halfway down the page...

http://bigbait.forumcommunity.net/?t=55722430

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:30 pm

78Staff wrote:Yep, I am pretty happy about it. :) As mentioned the reel does have a bit of a "raspy" noise on retrieve (casting is fine), but I planned on getting it gone through with drag upgrade, 7:1 gear swap, etc anyway... Love the TD-Z platform,

I found this page, which has a LOT of Daiwa Spools with weights, it's a pretty cool reference I think. The TD-Z spools are about halfway down the page...

Thanks for sharing that link. Very handy.

DaveJ

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:29 am

78Staff wrote:Yep, I am pretty happy about it. :) As mentioned the reel does have a bit of a "raspy" noise on retrieve (casting is fine), but I planned on getting it gone through with drag upgrade, 7:1 gear swap, etc anyway... Love the TD-Z platform,

Sounds like a pinion bearing is dirty or degraded.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:11 pm

smalliesteve wrote:

Yeah it's odd, reel is very quiet on cast, spool bearings nice and clean, whole reel is very clean. Just that raspy sound on retrieve, almost like the spool is rubbing on the frame, but it's not. I haven't messed with the pinion bearing before, I'll have to look at the schematics and figure out how hard it is to get to...thanks.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:12 am

The pinion bearing in the sideplate is easy to get to, just have to take the sideplate off and pop out the spring clip. The one in the frame is worse, you have to take just about every thing apart to get to it. My experience has been that it's usually the one on the frame...

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:33 am

smalliesteve wrote:The pinion bearing in the sideplate is easy to get to, just have to take the sideplate off and pop out the spring clip. The one in the frame is worse, you have to take just about every thing apart to get to it. My experience has been that it's usually the one on the frame...

Thanks, yeah frame side makes sense, that's where the noise is coming from. Might one of the situations where it's best to just throw the gear upgrade in the box with the reel and ship it off to e_bassfisher for some upgrades and tuning :).

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:33 am

78Staff wrote:
smalliesteve wrote:

Yeah it's odd, reel is very quiet on cast, spool bearings nice and clean, whole reel is very clean. Just that raspy sound on retrieve, almost like the spool is rubbing on the frame, but it's not. I haven't messed with the pinion bearing before, I'll have to look at the schematics and figure out how hard it is to get to...thanks.
I had a Zillion do that once, and is was actually because I forgot to put the retainer back on the spool bearing in the sideplate, so the bearing could rub on the spool. Might check that first just to be sure.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:17 am

trent_s wrote:
78Staff wrote:
smalliesteve wrote:

I had a Zillion do that once, and is was actually because I forgot to put the retainer back on the spool bearing in the sideplate, so the bearing could rub on the spool. Might check that first just to be sure.
Thanks, I checked, good to go there.

Here's a quick phone vid, the mic pics it up but might have to turn sound up a bit.

http://youtu.be/uvwQIo6_Ft0

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:15 pm

first question is how do you enable 3rd party hosting so i can see the pictures and second is
the IS reels that i have one has a purple inductor and the other a red.. i've forgetten if the red is for the IS73 or not?
what is the color hierarchy i e gold red purple or is there one?

These question is not specific to the TD-Z platform as much as it is for all daiwa reels
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 am

goldrod wrote:first question is how do you enable 3rd party hosting so i can see the pictures and second is
the IS reels that i have one has a purple inductor and the other a red.. i've forgetten if the red is for the IS73 or not?
what is the color hierarchy i e gold red purple or is there one?

These question is not specific to the TD-Z platform as much as it is for all daiwa reels
According to the TT review's pictures, the is73 has a purple inductor. The red inductor might be an is79 spool but I'm not certain.