Question on Daiwa Reel part

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Question on Daiwa Reel part

Post by beezy » Thu May 07, 2015 10:33 am

Fellow tackletour members, I would like some advice on how to remove a screw on my daiwa pixy reel. The screw I'm talking about is "Drive Shaft Retainer Screw (A)" that goes screws down the drive shaft retainer piece. The retainer screw is messed up to where I am unable to unscrew it with my philips screwdriver. Is there a way to remove this screw or no? I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Question on Daiwa Reel part

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:25 pm

No different than any other stripped screw. The old way would be to drill a shallow clean hole upon the screw top with a standard drill bit, then tap/chisel a flat wedge just deep enough to insert a flat head screwdriver for removal.

Nowadays we have easy to use reversed self tapping tips. They are really easy to use and the technology has been around for years, but recently become mainstream. A quick ebay search found listed below. Good luck.

Speed Out 4pc Damaged Screw Extractor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1716219582 ... =82&chn=ps

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri May 08, 2015 1:07 am

Search for the post Daiwa Screw of Death

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Fri May 08, 2015 10:01 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:No different than any other stripped screw. The old way would be to drill a shallow clean hole upon the screw top with a standard drill bit, then tap/chisel a flat wedge just deep enough to insert a flat head screwdriver for removal.

Nowadays we have easy to use reversed self tapping tips. They are really easy to use and the technology has been around for years, but recently become mainstream. A quick ebay search found listed below. Good luck.

Thank you soo much for the link GOOD YEAR 71. I'm putting an order in for that. And :lol: :lol: :lol: to TommyG for the Daiwa Screw of Death. It makes me curious if anyone knows if I can purchase a similar screw to replace this one albeit with the flathead instead of the philips head.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri May 08, 2015 10:19 am

beezy wrote:
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:No different than any other stripped screw. The old way would be to drill a shallow clean hole upon the screw top with a standard drill bit, then tap/chisel a flat wedge just deep enough to insert a flat head screwdriver for removal.

Thank you soo much for the link GOOD YEAR 71. I'm putting an order in for that. And :lol: :lol: :lol: to TommyG for the Daiwa Screw of Death. It makes me curious if anyone knows if I can purchase a similar screw to replace this one albeit with the flathead instead of the philips head.
You can just buy the Philips screw and cut a groove in the head with a dremel before installing it.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sun May 10, 2015 8:42 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
beezy wrote:

You can just buy the Philips screw and cut a groove in the head with a dremel before installing it.
awesome. Thanks for the tip. :D