Did some inductor swapping, not sure I improved anything...

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Did some inductor swapping, not sure I improved anything...

Post by adam lancia » Fri May 15, 2015 12:10 pm

I swapped the wild redheaded inductor out of my 2 Steez 103's for the gold TD-Z inductor recently. I went out on Thursday to try them out and was left underwhelmed from the casting of both reels. Not only that but they seems very hit or miss when it came to if they were going to backlash on me or fluff up before I could get my thumb down. I was using a 1/2 oz swim jig on one and a 3/8 oz buzzbait on the other. Neither of them cast as far as I was expecting, especially compared to my TD-Z 103 ML casting a 3/8 oz chatterbait. All of the rods are on rods that cast those particular lures/weights well so I am fairly sure it's not the rods. Could the TD-Z inductors be choking off my casts? I think I'm going to try my 103 ML spool in a Steez to see if that makes a difference.

Any ideas...? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by adam lancia on Mon May 18, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Did some indutor swapping, not sure I improved anything.

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri May 15, 2015 12:20 pm

Stop messing with the spools :)

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri May 15, 2015 12:25 pm

Lol! That was really helpful ;-) there's no way in hell that I can cast a 103 spool yet. Besides, I had some down time and wanted to tinker around with a few reels. It's a good learning process, ha!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri May 15, 2015 12:34 pm

adam lancia wrote:Lol! That was really helpful ;-) there's no way in hell that I can cast a 103 spool yet. Besides, I had some down time and wanted to tinker around with a few reels. It's a good learning process, ha!
Lol. Stick with the 103 and fix the inductor and try.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:56 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
adam lancia wrote:Lol! That was really helpful ;-) there's no way in hell that I can cast a 103 spool yet. Besides, I had some down time and wanted to tinker around with a few reels. It's a good learning process, ha!
When you fix the inductor do you also remove the plastic tabs for a few grams of weight savings?

DaveJ

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri May 15, 2015 1:11 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
I hadn't thought about that, I'll have to give it a try. There's a thread on here somewhere detailing that process, correct? And I have the same question that Dave asked: remove the plastic tabs...?

Just a note: I realized something when I looked at my reel notes. I have a Steez 100 spool in that 103 ML so that's probably why it casts so nicely, eh...? I was able to set the CC to where it removed the last bit of side to side play at the spool and turn the magnets down to 3 without backlashing. I hardy had to thumb the spool at the end of the cast. I was really pleasantly surprised, especially since I'm still very much in the thumb training phase.

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Fri May 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Are you actually fishing, or just playing with your reels? Personally, I like to catch fish! :lol:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri May 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Eric Walsh wrote:Are you actually fishing, or just playing with your reels? Personally, I like to catch fish! :lol:
Bass season doesn't open until late June and considering my lack of proficiency with baitcasters, I thought it better to practice until I could without making a fool of myself :P Practice now, find fish later...`

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:17 pm

The only inductor swap i approve is a Type-R into a TD-Z 105 spool.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat May 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Pen3 wrote:The only inductor swap i approve is a Type-R into a TD-Z 105 spool.
Funny you mention that, I made that exact swap in the hopes that the Type-R inductor would be more beneficial in that reel. I'm glad you approve of at least that much... 8-)

Something I just realized about the 103ML is that it came with a Steez 100 spool in it. So, I'm going to swap the Steez 100 spool into the Steez and put the Steez 103 spool with the TD-Z inductor into the 103ML and see how that works.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sat May 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Step 1. Buy some 1016 spools

Step 2. Install them

Step 3. Send me your 103 spools because I love them dearly

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat May 16, 2015 11:48 pm

5bites wrote:Step 1. Buy some 1016 spools

Step 2. Install them

Step 3. Send me your 103 spools because I love them dearly
Amen :lol:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat May 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Ha! I have a 1016 already, I'm just trying to make do and tinker around with them, that's a big part of the fun for me. I'll be trying it out soon though. I already traded one of the Type-R inductor and I have the other one in a flipping switch 105HL. I did just pick up a 100SHL spool though so I may be persuaded to send you a 103 spool or two. Send be a pm about it.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun May 17, 2015 12:02 am

So true, tinkering is all the fun :lol:

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Sun May 17, 2015 1:06 am

adam lancia wrote:
Pen3 wrote:The only inductor swap i approve is a Type-R into a TD-Z 105 spool.
Funny you mention that, I made that exact swap in the hopes that the Type-R inductor would be more beneficial in that reel. I'm glad you approve of at least that much... 8-)

Something I just realized about the 103ML is that it came with a Steez 100 spool in it. So, I'm going to swap the Steez 100 spool into the Steez and put the Steez 103 spool with the TD-Z inductor into the 103ML and see how that works.

The steez 103 is R+ tuned so it would turn the 103ml into an tdz r+ essentially which is one of the my favorite. This is why I love daiwa. Tinkering is fun.