Revo S Braking Issue

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ct_bassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Revo S Braking Issue

Post by ct_bassin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:03 am

I own a Gen 3 Revo S which I recently installed new spool and side plate bearings on. Im noticing that after every few casts my brake blocks engage despite me setting them all to off. Wouldn't be a huge issue but the brakes effect my casting distance in a huge way. Any ideas on how to combat this?
Thanks.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Revo S Braking Issue

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:06 am

My STX does this as well. Abu wasnt able to help me. I have taken out the extra pins so I don't have to worry about them turning on.

ct_bassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ct_bassin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:17 am

Thanks for the tip. I took the brakes off the spool and gave it a shot. Unfortunately now it spins too fast and overruns even if the spool tension is set so high the bait can't free fall on its own. Back to the drawing board is guess..

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:56 am

If it is the gen 3 with "pitch centrifugal braking" then 3 blocks are always on and the other 3 can be turned on or off. I could have picked up one of these cheap but this feature kept me from it

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:13 am

timsford wrote:If it is the gen 3 with "pitch centrifugal braking" then 3 blocks are always on and the other 3 can be turned on or off. I could have picked up one of these cheap but this feature kept me from it
Not quite how it works.. All 6 brakes can be in the on or off position. 3 brakes are stationary when activated, meaning they will apply constant pressure throughout the cast. These are the pitch brakes, designed for pitching.

3 are dynamic and spring loaded, meaning they will apply braking force only when centrifugal force is strong enough to force them outwards against the brake plate. But they can move rather than just being stationary, so they will disengage towards the end if the cast (think of shimano's VBS or SVS).

All 6 can be turned on or completely off though.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:49 pm

After watching an abu icast video on the pitch braking system, i realized afrayedknot was right. Thanks for explaining it right because i was definitely wrong. I was offered a gen 3 revo s that had been cast about 10 times for 60 bucks shipped and i didnt buy it because the guy who had it told me the brakes were spring loaded and couldnt't be turned off.