Alphas SV-maintenance question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Alphas SV-maintenance question

Post by wvbassin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:37 am

My reel locked up on me a couple of days ago, and after inspection the clutch cam spring had popped out. Now, is this something that needs replaced often? Do they deform easily? I ask because I did a full clean on this reel about 3 weeks prior to this trip, and the spring was taken out and reassembled. That was the first time it had been fully taken apart.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alphas SV-maintenance question

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:09 am

Those springs can be a little troublesome, but I've never had to replace one and I've been using almost exclusively Daiwa reels for quite a few years now. Try to bend the portion that goes into the frame out a little to create more friction. It also helps to dab a little grease in the hole before the spring goes in.

Also, there should be a white plastic plate inside the side plate directly above where the spring sits. Make sure it wasn't lost when you last had it open.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:32 pm

But have you taken the spring in and out? I did dab some grease in there and the white plastic plate is there too. I remember a post where a guy was raising hell about the spring, and Ian said to not bend that spring, but to replace it. I may just have to send it out because there are a couple other issues as well.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:50 am

I've had that issue before. What worked for me was to bend that 90 deg angle open a bit on the leg that goes into the frame hole. That will kick the coil end of the spring against the white pad a little harder and limit that leg popping out of the frame.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:55 pm

I think mine is bent like that. I'll give it another look and see if that helps. Thanks!