keeping grease on gears

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

keeping grease on gears

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello,

Started doing my own maintenance this year. One thing I notice and that is frustrating, is grease won't stay put. I am a Daiwa man and use the Blue space age grease. My problem, when I opened the reel, gears look dry and the grease is sprayed into a streak pattern on the inside of the side plate.

Is that normal?

Is there a grease that will be better at stay on the gears?

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: keeping grease on gears

Post by Mang » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:52 pm

Cal's grease are really sticky and that too will splash the side plate. But overall grease I use the Cal's stuff are stickier and will quiet down the gears bit more

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:40 am

Make sure your gears are clean and dry. The grease will stick better and provide a thin film, that's all you'll need.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:22 am

Use better quality grease!
I would never put that grease on any of my reels.
Shimano DG series are great, same as ZPI F0. Cal's I heard is good, IOS from Japan is excellent.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:49 am

Yeah i wouldn't use the space age for the gears. Maybe on the moving parts like the worm gear and clutch internal assembly etc. I also try SuperLube but that too is no good for the gears. I might try the Yamaha blue grease since I've heard there a little thicker. But as of right now I just went back to Cal's

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:58 am

I've used the space age on gear and not had any issues before. The film that stays on the teeth is sO thin you can't really see it. If you're getting that stripe od grease on the housing you're putting plenty on and it's just flinging it off. Will do that with any grease.

I've started using Cals because I'm already using it for drags and it's simpler to use 1 grease than 2. It is a little thicker than the space age, maybe it sticks a lititle better, can't say that I've noticed much difference

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:06 am

I have used that blue grease before with no issues. Have you used something like WD40 to protect your reels? Some lubricants like WD40 can strip the grease off the gears, WD40 is actually more of a solvent even though it's marketed as a lubricant. Maybe it was just difficult for you to see the grease in the gear teeth, it doesn't take much to work. My favorite reel grease is the Daiwa molybdenum grease, (its expensive :crying:), the Penn precision grease and the Ardent reel grease are also good, even though I dislike ardent reels.

Before applying new grease clean all gears with a toothbrush, I would also use some rubbing alcohol to clean them if you're having trouble with the grease sticking.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:38 am

Is the Okuma Cal's grease the same as the Cal's you are referring too?

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:39 am

I use Yamaha blue marine grease and it works well.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:19 pm

it is very typical for grease to come off the gears, and end up on the inside of the 'gear box'....'enough' grease should stay in place to keep the reel lubricated for a good while, if the grease is of good quality, and the reel hasn't been submerged in water