Need advice on gear set for Shimano scorpion 1001mg

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Need advice on gear set for Shimano scorpion 1001mg

Post by beezy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new gearset for my shimano scorpion 1001mg reel which is the equivalent of the shimano chronarch 51mg reel. I was looking at slowing the reel down and was wondering if any of you guys were able to do this. These are the gear sets that I have been looking at to replace with and if anyone has done this modification, I would appreciate your input. I was also wondering if the gear set for a right-handed reel would be able to be used in a left-handed reel without any issues whatsoever?

Option #1: Shimano Curado 100DPV 5.1.0 drive gear and pinion gear (part #
Option #2: Shimano Curado 200B 3.8.1 drive gear and pinion gear
Option #3: Shimano Calais 200-5 drive gear and pinion gear

Please let me know if I can use any of these gear sets and drop that into my scorpion reel. Thanks in advance.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need advice on gear set for Shimano scorpion 1001mg

Post by Good351 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:31 am

I had a 51mg and thought about doing a cranker gear swap as well..I know the Calais 201-5 gear set was a direct swap. Unfortunately the 201-5 gear set is discontinued from Shimano (I tried to get one like 5 or 6 years ago).

I don't know if the Curado gear sets are compatable with the Chronarch 51mg/Scorp 1001mg frame. Even if they are, I doubt the gear sets are available from Shimano..

Funny, I used to own all those reels.. Calais 201-5, Chronarch 51mg and the Curado 201B38. The B38 is a rare one, especially in lefty..