HELP needed with Steez SV Limited (line doesn't lay evenly)

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

HELP needed with Steez SV Limited (line doesn't lay evenly)

Post by Cracker » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:51 am

Since I bought my Daiwa Steez SV Limited noticed line doesn't spool perfectly like on the rest of my baitcasters.
I know how to fix the issue if line winds more toward the left or right side of the spool, in my case the line in middle lower approximately 1.5mm vs left or right side of the spool.
When I start to spool a new line you can see how the line builds up more on the left and right sides, and it doesn't matter what type of line (fluoro, mono or braid and diameter of the line). Line always been spooled with tension and cast control knob been always tight. I been using that baitcaster for 5 months, same problems from the beginning.

Here is an example when the line is spooled

Is it normal for Steez, and if it is not - how to fix it?
I probably can fix it if I put one layer of tape 1/2 inch wide in the middle of the spool, but don't want to use that method on the Daiwa's flagship reel.
Thanks for your advises!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: HELP needed with Steez SV Limited (line doesn't lay even

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Odd. That seems to be a design 'flaw' as there is nothing mechanical that could cause that randomly unless the wrong worm drive was installed for some reason. I doubt it affects performance much if at all.

DaveJ

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:35 pm

That doesn't look like much of a problem to me. I'll have a reel load up on the sides or middle every once and while, doesn't effect performance. If it builts up on just one side that would be more of a problem. Someone here will have a better response.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:27 am

Thank you for your responses. I agree - it doesn't effect performance, the reel casts very well.
Just a visual imperfection, which makes me unsatisfied seeing it on high end Daiwa product.
Still looking for suggestions or opinions :)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:11 am

I have some reels that do that a slight bit. I make sure the line guide is in the center of the reel as I start spooling, and try to keep a consistent speed when turning the handle. I just use a fat phone book to keep my line tight. Generally if I do get a little uneven line lay I just let line out behind the boat until it looks even on the spool and crank it back up. Usually works.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:10 am

I have a Steez, an Alphas and a TD-Z that do the same thing. I never thought anything about it. All 3 work fine. Fish that reel and don't worry about the line lay....unless it starts to affect the function of the reel. ;)

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:54 am

Thank you for your responses!

Hogsticker2
I done that, positioned the line guide in the middle, cast out all line and retrieve it back with 3/4Oz.

hoohoorjoo
I understand your point, however how I mentioned earlier didn't want to see any imperfections on that high-end reel.

Found a picture with similar line lay on same reel, a little bit better than mine though...

I guess for right now I use tape method, and full breakdown, maintenance, and reassemble in the future might fix it.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:34 am

Some of mine do the same, but it doesnt effect my fishing so i never worry about it..

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:43 am

Most of my TD-Z's lay a little more on the left side of the spool. It's fine, hasnt affected performance at all.

bkuave
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bkuave » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Beautiful reel. I've experienced this issue often when first spooling new line but it usually flattens out with use. I also pinch the line as I spool it and direct it towards the center when it wants to build on the edges. Seems to help.