help with clutch spring?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

help with clutch spring?

Post by masterbass » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:10 am

I was cleaning my alphas sv and when I had it opened I pressed the clutch and clutch spring popped out. Are there any tricks to getting it back in? It seems to be pretty stiff. Thanks in advanced.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: help with clutch spring?

Post by uljersey » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:47 am

This type spring ?

If so, I use the tapered forked end of one of these soldering aid tools to get them in. Insert either end of the spring into it's hole and slip the tool over the coil of the spring. Rotate the tool between your thumb and fingers to compress the spring until the free end of it can be inserted in it's hole. Do this work inside of a large clear zip lock bag so if the spring flies it won't disappear.

Image Image

PM me your address and I'll send you the tool to use (I'll need it back of course)

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:54 am

uljersey wrote:This type spring ?

If so, I use the tapered forked end of one of these soldering aid tools to get them in. Insert either end of the spring into it's hole and slip the tool over the coil of the spring. Rotate the tool between your thumb and fingers to compress the spring until the free end of it can be inserted in it's hole. Do this work inside of a large clear zip lock bag so if the spring flies it won't disappear.

Image Image

PM me your address and I'll send you the tool to use (I'll need it back of course)
That is very generous of you. That tool looks perfect for the job. Fortunately I was able to get it back together using my fingers (ouch). Thanks again for your kind gesture :D

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:38 am

I know you have it back on now, but Ian had made a video to show how to do it on YouTube. He was using needle nose pliers. It helped me, but I can't find the video or I would post it. Maybe a search on here and you could find it.