Storing spare spools

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Storing spare spools

Post by uljersey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:32 am

adam lancia wrote:
uljersey wrote:C'mon guys ... $7.00 for one spool case from hedgehog ? ](*,)

Under a buck each shipped ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Square-Coin- ... XQfvlSeWSM
I saw those but I think they'll be too big to fit into a regular tackle tray. I found these instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L4I7B ... UTF8&psc=1 They'll be long enough to leave some room for foam at each end to give a little cushioning too.
Even better ... I'm still shaking my head at 7 beans for a plastic screw top container ... I'm obviously in the wrong line of work 8-)

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:42 pm

I recently bought a KTF Spool thehooligan and he shipped it to me in a prescription bottle. I couldn't get over what a great idea storing spare spools in prescription bottles is so yesterday I went to our local WalMart Neighborhood Grocery Store and the nice lady in the Pharmacy Section gave me five new ones for free. If you do this, take a spool with you to show them what you are doing because they were asking questions about why do I want them.

Hype
Angler
Angler

Post by Hype » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:46 am

That's phenomenal advice! My uncle's have a machine ship, I'm fairly certain one of their tool suppliers would have these. Thanks!!![/quote]
You are welcome , usually a 1 1/2 inch or 1 5/8 bit tube will do for most smaller spools ...... :big grin:

Hype
Angler
Angler

Post by Hype » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:50 am

adam lancia wrote:
Hype wrote:If you have access to some industrial drill bit supplier , you can buy some off them , drill bits for mag drills come in this type of tube like HH sells , I'm sure they are quite cheaper too from those guys ...
That's phenomenal advice! My uncle's have a machine ship, I'm fairly certain one of their tool suppliers would have these. Thanks!!!
You are welcome !!! Usually a 1 1/2 inch drill bit tube will do for smaller spools .They can be cut and lined with foam cheaply sourced at Dollar Store pool toys . Good luck hope this helped ... :big grin:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:19 pm

The coin tubes that I ordered arrived. They're a stiff, clear plastic (like an acrylic I think) with a translucent screw on cap. There's about 59.5mm height inside the tube, a 38.7mm ID (Zillion spools!) and a 43.7mm OD (that's the cap, the tube itself has a smaller diameter). They just fit inside a standard tackle tray , the diameter of the cap being almost identical to the height inside the tray. I'm going to look into finding a cap that will fit inside the tubes, just a press fit kind of thing. I'd like to shorten the tubes so they'll take up less room in the tray while still allowing for some foam in either end.
Attachments
20160105_212523.jpg
20160105_212523.jpg (75.24 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
20160104_205359.jpg
20160104_205359.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 4448 times

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:11 am

I just place spools in tackle boxes. I line the spaces with foam sheeting just for peace of mind and keep bearings clips and pins together with a mini zip lock bags in with the spool.