Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:48 am

I'm sure the price on the Zillion SV TW is gonna be around $300 in the US, yeah?

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $39 for a BFS spool.

Post by daiwafan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:36 am

daiwafan wrote:Well I got the spool and just by looking it would hard to distinguish from a T3 air spool except of course the size and extended pinion shaft. The workmanship appears to be excellent.

I placed the spool in a Tatula that had already been equipped with air BFS bearings and spooled her up with some 10 pound flouro then went to the local lake to give it a whirl. I put on a 1/8 oz jig head with a twin tail grub and made several casts. I am pleased to say that the spool performed as I hoped. It starts up very easily just like all the other BFS oriented spools I have, which include both megabass versions for a Steez, a t3 air and a presso. I then put on a 3/16 jig head with a 5 inch Hula Grub. This bait is definitely heavier than what most would call BFS but it is the heaviest bait that I'm likely to throw for winter smallies and also one I like to skip around boat docks from the boat. Once again the spool handled this bait admirably casting, pitching and most importantly to me skipping. The way it cast was very mindful of my Steez with a megabass honeycomb spool. This is the reel that I have been using the most recently while fishing in the river.

All in all I am very very pleased with the spool and will likely get at least one more for another Tatula that I use primarily when fishing from someone else's boat. Normally when I fish from my own boat I take my best stuff since I can lay everything on the deck and make sure nothing gets scuffed. When I go in another's boat and have to use the rod storage by the passenger seat I am more inclined to take reels that it wouldn't bother me, as bad, to get scuffed up.

After fishing a while, without any hits I might add, I left the lake and weighed the spool on the same scale as I weighed the stock one. It weighed 22.1296 grams and that is packed full of 10 pound red label. In fact I really have the spool a little too full, negating the weight savings to some degree, but it is still just over 8 grams or 27 percent lighter than stock.

Right now I would have to say that my hat is off to the company that makes these spools. The performance is there just like some vastly more expensive spools available from other vendors.

An update on this spool.

I changed the line from 10 pound Red Label to 24 pound Gliss and was amazed at the weight savings. As noted above the spool weighed 22.1296 grams with the Red Label installed. I weighed the spool empty and it is 14.0982 grams. I then filled the spool to a level just below the lip with 24 pound Gliss and it now weighs 16.2108 grams. That is a HUGE difference of nearly 6 grams by only changing line. I knew that Flouro was heavy but weighing it really puts it into perspective.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:10 am

Received the handle today. Looks good and can't complain for the price. Problem is, i ordered this handle for a reel i sold... Now i have a bunch of purple anodized pieces but it doesn't color match an FX68 Viola :o

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Just got a red T3 spool in today. Looks good. Going in my FX73SV. I also ordered a set of the micro bearings with the purple spacer. I guess because I ordered those, the seller installed one of them on the spool as well. The micro bearing will free spin just on the spool shaft for close to 20 seconds. Pretty quiet as well. I'm very excited to try it out in the spring.

DaveJ

funder1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by funder1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:19 pm

Today I tried this steez spool on my IS63, with a 3gram palm mini-jig, the casting distance is amzaing, the best cast is 47.8 meters. The cast recorded by the video is 46.3 meters.

Video, sorry for the Mandarin speaking comment.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/S49GzXitChU/

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:49 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Just got a red T3 spool in today. Looks good. Going in my FX73SV. I also ordered a set of the micro bearings with the purple spacer. I guess because I ordered those, the seller installed one of them on the spool as well. The micro bearing will free spin just on the spool shaft for close to 20 seconds. Pretty quiet as well. I'm very excited to try it out in the spring.

DaveJ
What size did you order for the T3? I plan on getting the T3 and Tatula spools with the purple micro bearings.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Get in quick they are selling fast. Ordered one for t3/ryoga and red and purple are sold out.so i got the gold.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:12 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:Get in quick they are selling fast. Ordered one for t3/ryoga and red and purple are sold out.so i got the gold.
been waiting for the blue t3 spool forever. Now he told me ill have to wait until March :cry:

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 pm

ccass wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:Just got a red T3 spool in today. Looks good. Going in my FX73SV. I also ordered a set of the micro bearings with the purple spacer. I guess because I ordered those, the seller installed one of them on the spool as well. The micro bearing will free spin just on the spool shaft for close to 20 seconds. Pretty quiet as well. I'm very excited to try it out in the spring.

DaveJ
What size did you order for the T3? I plan on getting the T3 and Tatula spools with the purple micro bearings.
T3 uses the same size as Steez/TDZ, so I ordered one of each of the purple ones.

DaveJ

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:32 am

He has received all the colors EVEN BLUE!! for the T3/Ryoga in limited quantities. Finally ordered myself a blue spool.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 28707.html

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Question for those that have ordered from aliexpress? How long has it taken to revive the spool?

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:25 pm

I ordered on the 2nd and I haven't got mine yet

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:39 pm

silversix wrote:He has received all the colors EVEN BLUE!! for the T3/Ryoga in limited quantities. Finally ordered myself a blue spool.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 28707.html
Thank goodness 8-)

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:45 pm

daiwafan wrote:Question for those that have ordered from aliexpress? How long has it taken to revive the spool?
I ordered mine on the 13th of December and they haven't arrived yet. I've ordered from this guy before and it was a similar wait time.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:49 pm

daiwafan wrote:Question for those that have ordered from aliexpress? How long has it taken to revive the spool?
Took me 13 days to get the handle. im from Canada.