Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:07 am

Quicker manufacturing process trying to meet demand i suspect.

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:06 pm

so my understanding is that this spool will make my reel a light line reel. It will make my Tatula a BFS? I have a Dobyns 702c that need a reel with light line.

spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spoon2610 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:15 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote: Basically SV Shallow spools now.

DaveJ
So the spools without the hole are SV spools?

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:59 pm

spoon2610 wrote:

DaveJ
No. It will perform well, tho. Those who want to use heavier line should consider getting the ones without holes. I'll wait for a blue version with holes. Waiting until March will be looooong.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:10 pm

spoon2610 wrote:

DaveJ
Technically, no... But they have very similar weight, line capacity (shallow version of SV), and have a twisting inductor similar to the SV spools as well. They will likely preform almost identically.

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:12 pm

spoon2610 wrote:so my understanding is that this spool will make my reel a light line reel. It will make my Tatula a BFS? I have a Dobyns 702c that need a reel with light line.
It should, yes. We don't have a lot of on the water reports yet and certainly no longevity reports. For the price most of us have decided it is worth the risk.

DaveJ

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
spoon2610 wrote:

DaveJ
Technically, no... But they have very similar weight, line capacity (shallow version of SV), and have a twisting inductor similar to the SV spools as well. They will likely preform almost identically.

DaveJ
So now I am a little confused....no additional BFS characteristics would be achieved with a Alphas SV vs the NEW Alphas Air which is a "Air Spool" without holes. ???

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 pm

Does not pertain to the spools, but his handles aren't bad at all.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:41 pm

389Maverick wrote:Does not pertain to the spools, but his handles aren't bad at all.

yup, its pretty good. the only thing i dislike is the fact that the edges are a little bit too sharp. Everything else looks good.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:26 am

silversix wrote:
389Maverick wrote:Does not pertain to the spools, but his handles aren't bad at all.

yup, its pretty good. the only thing i dislike is the fact that the edges are a little bit too sharp. Everything else looks good.
Sandpaper?

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:27 am

E73Bass wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
spoon2610 wrote:

DaveJ

DaveJ
So now I am a little confused....no additional BFS characteristics would be achieved with a Alphas SV vs the NEW Alphas Air which is a "Air Spool" without holes. ???
Don't know. Probably have to buy both and try them out. I would guess the Alphas Air Spool is even shallower than the Alphas SV Spool or even lighter via some other method (thinner metal, lighter alloy, etc.).

DaveJ

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:28 am

Both the ones we ordered had smooth edges, no complaints here.
No pitting of the carbon fiber either, will be ordering a few more.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:42 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
silversix wrote:

Sandpaper?

DaveJ
maybe, will see

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:28 am

The addition of one of these spools will transform a Tatula into a very nice BFS caster. As I posted when I got the first one for mine, the factory spool loaded with line was just over 30 grams. Right now the DIY ported spool with 24 LB Gliss is just over 16 grams. I liked the difference so much I got another spool for another Tatula as well as one for a Steez.

Addressing the ported versus non ported deal, it does appear that they start as the same spool and that one is ported, which reduces weight but increases manufacturing time and one would think cost. I think the main reason that Daiwa chose not to port the Alphas Air spool was to help make it more saltwater friendly.Without the ports it's harder for salty water to get to the internal areas of the reel. One has to remember that these spools hold a lot less line due to their shallow nature and when a long cast is made very little line is left on the spool. It's therfore easier for water to permeate down inside a ported spool and once there, it can go elsewhere. Other saltwater spools may be ported but if they are conventional and not super shallow, there is a lot of line left to kind of seal the ports off.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:46 pm

daiwafan wrote:The addition of one of these spools will transform a Tatula into a very nice BFS caster. As I posted when I got the first one for mine, the factory spool loaded with line was just over 30 grams. Right now the DIY ported spool with 24 LB Gliss is just over 16 grams. I liked the difference so much I got another spool for another Tatula as well as one for a Steez.

Addressing the ported versus non ported deal, it does appear that they start as the same spool and that one is ported, which reduces weight but increases manufacturing time and one would think cost. I think the main reason that Daiwa chose not to port the Alphas Air spool was to help make it more saltwater friendly.Without the ports it's harder for salty water to get to the internal areas of the reel. One has to remember that these spools hold a lot less line due to their shallow nature and when a long cast is made very little line is left on the spool. It's therfore easier for water to permeate down inside a ported spool and once there, it can go elsewhere. Other saltwater spools may be ported but if they are conventional and not super shallow, there is a lot of line left to kind of seal the ports off.
Good point, I could see where a shallow ported spool, used for saltwater, could be dentrimental to the longevity of a reel. This could be remedied by plumbers tape, but then it would not look as cool.

These spools have really impressed me thus far. My TDZ Ito and Steez 103, have been transformed into finesse baitcasters. Loving it. 8-)