Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 am

LowRange wrote:
Loafer wrote:DIY spool you say? Ok, here is :)
Sorry, it topic on Russian, but pictures of process very interesting: https://spinningline.ru/p-post/2016/08/ ... kato-11404
Some pictures of results of work this man (Shimano: Scorpion 1000 XT, Curado 50/51e, Aldebaran, Core, Chronarch + Daiwa + AbuGarcia):
I just learned a lot about how shallow BFS spools are made.
If he made one for the 16 Aldebaran BFS XG with barley enough capacity to hold 40m of 8lb Gliss and was as light as a ghost, Id buy it. Im sure if he made it thinner and put more holes in it, he could get it around 5gr. Talk about living on the edge. #aerosmith

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:47 am

LowRange wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Sorry guys, but im gonna derail this spool thread for a quick question if I may. Those of you that have ordered the carbon fiber handles, I want to know if the knobs are removable and you can change them out with Daiwa knobs? I am seriously thinking of buying one for my SV103XS because the cost is really good. But, I am not seeing them where you can get just the handle, and I am not crazy about the knobs that some of these handles come with. Thank you,.
Yep, the knobs can be removed. You can order handles without knobs and by knob shaft type (shimano, daiwa or abu). I buy without knobs and reuse the Daiwa knobs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 64915.html

The aluminum Daiwa knob caps are pretty cool too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-col ... 3b62&tpp=1

The seller 'weihai fishing tackle' has a lot of DIY reel parts. I've got a couple spools and carbon drag stars on the way.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 0.0.fsuToW
Oh man this is great! Thank you soo much for this!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:25 am

silversix wrote:The star drag looks pretty good, wish they had them for the alphas/pixy platform.
I was able to install the DIY carbon fiber drag star on my Alphas SV no problems and used the clicker from the original drag star. I wasn't able to install one on the Zonda due to the shortened handle shaft the Zondas have although the star did come with a stack of spacers. If it fits the Alphas then I see no reason why it won't fit a Pixy.

I got the TD-Zillion spool in as well and noticed a change in the spools. The new DIY spools are no longer polished and instead have a satin finish but do come in a plastic tube similar to the Daiwa RCS spool containers. Looks like they've traded polishing for an upgraded container.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:46 am

LowRange wrote:
silversix wrote:The star drag looks pretty good, wish they had them for the alphas/pixy platform.
I was able to install the DIY carbon fiber drag star on my Alphas SV no problems and used the clicker from the original drag star. I wasn't able to install one on the Zonda due to the shortened handle shaft the Zondas have although the star did come with a stack of spacers. If it fits the Alphas then I see no reason why it won't fit a Pixy.

I got the TD-Zillion spool in as well and noticed a change in the spools. The new DIY spools are no longer polished and instead have a satin finish but do come in a plastic tube similar to the Daiwa RCS spool containers. Looks like they've traded polishing for an upgraded container.
I've noticed the polishing part. Could you please post the pictures of your Alphas SV with the star drag? I'd like a confirmation on the Pixy, tho. Have anyone tried the star drag on a Pixy (the older models. the red/silver/orange/yellow if it makes any difference)?.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:05 am

If it is a clicking drag star, it will only work on the PX-R and The Alphas S V models. The only way for it to work on the old Pixy and Alphas models is to do a clicking star conversion with the kit from The Tackle Trap.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:12 am

silversix wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I've noticed the polishing part. Could you please post the pictures of your Alphas SV with the star drag? I'd like a confirmation on the Pixy, tho. Have anyone tried the star drag on a Pixy (the older models. the red/silver/orange/yellow if it makes any difference)?.
Pics as requested

New satin finish on the DIY spools for those interested.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:19 am

LowRange wrote:
silversix wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Pics as requested

New satin finish on the DIY spools for those interested.

thanks, looks great. the non polished spool looks better in my opinion.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:18 am

The carbon star only works on a reel with a clicking drag star. It won't work on any of the original Pixy or Alphas reels, unless it has been modified to accept a clicking star. It does fit the PX-R and Alphas SV.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:00 am

You couldn't just throw some spring washers in to make up for the lack of a clinker? The threading is the same and the 'problem' is really just a clearance issue, is it not?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:04 am

Abu Revo carbon drag stars are out. Red and black only for now. Waiting on a Sky blue star to pop into existence for my Abu Gen 3 IB 'Deez 'build.

I've sold my soul for sky blue parts as of late.

EDIT: a link might be useful
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 41935.html

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:44 am

LowRange wrote:You couldn't just throw some spring washers in to make up for the lack of a clinker? The threading is the same and the 'problem' is really just a clearance issue, is it not?
It 's a 3-fold problem. As you mentioned, there is a clearance issue on the bottom side. But when you space it up with a washer, there isn't enough thread on the shaft to accommodate the thickness of the threaded part of the star. What you end up with is a drag that is tight and won't back off, due to the location of the handle-stop grooves milled into the shaft. Last thing is the stock c.c.cap will interfere with the collar of the carbon drag star, due to the larger outer diameter of that collar vs the stock star. The work-around for that was already addressed by Daiwa with the acorn-style c.c. cap on the px-r and the alphas sv.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:13 am

Thanks for the info in the spool tension cap. If the Alphas/Pixy is fitted with a factory clicker then the DIY carbon star is plug and play. If not then you're looking at acquiring a tension cap with a beveled edge to clear the enlarged star as well as the clicker mechanism itself.

For those interested I pulled the #20 J-Braid off the fixed inductor 103 DIY because I was having manageability issues and switched to #10 green Nanofill. WOW. I can throw an 1/8 jighead with nothing on it 90 feet with the mag dial set to 4.5. Mag dial on max still provides good distance but is immune to head winds. Skip-ability isn't quite what I hoped. It's doable but not thumb free like the SV spools. I suspect that the paper thin inductors on the DIY spools don't allow for as aggressive a breaking profile as the SV spool provide.

Knot strength of the green Nanofill seemed much better than what I remember from the white colored stuff I tried a few years ago. Anyone try Gliss on a DIY spool yet?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:20 am

I have 18# gliss on a stock Pixy spool(in an alphas type f with spacers) and I like it a lot . With the mag dial on 10, I can toss a weightless 4" slider worm on a #2 light-wire hook about 65 ft. That's on a Volkey 682L with no thumb except at the end. I will be acquiring a DIY Pixy spool in the near future (no hole spool, if available). If there is even a slight gain in distance over what I got with the stock spool/Gliss combo, I will be well-pleased. I cant speak for the durability of the line, but the castability has certainly got my attention. It is insanely slick and quiet through the guides.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:39 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:I have 18# gliss on a stock Pixy spool(in an alphas type f with spacers) and I like it a lot . With the mag dial on 10, I can toss a weightless 4" slider worm on a #2 light-wire hook about 65 ft. That's on a Volkey 682L with no thumb except at the end. I will be acquiring a DIY Pixy spool in the near future (no hole spool, if available). If there is even a slight gain in distance over what I got with the stock spool/Gliss combo, I will be well-pleased. I cant speak for the durability of the line, but the castability has certainly got my attention. It is insanely slick and quiet through the guides.

When you order your DIY Pixy spool and you leave a message to the seller indicating that you want a spool without holes, I would suggest using phrases like (NO HOLES) rather than (without holes). I ordered my TD Zillion spool without holes and got one with holes. I suspect that "without" is a confusing word to non native English speakers.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:37 am

I decided to play with the Pixy Type R and DIY spool on the Teton tossing a 3.5 gram spoon and I'm impressed. Nearly every cast spooled the thing of it's #10 nanofill. High setting on the mag dial really brought the hammer down to slow the spool while lower mag settings allow for long bomb thumb free spooling casts at high RPM. I wish the spool was a little better balanced because it does buzz at high RPM. I was so emboldened by the spool's performance I backed the brakes all the way off and blew up the spool.

This spool is the prefect balance of distance and control in BFS form. I have no doubt this spool will skip thumb free at high mag dial and then empty itself of all of its line on a long bomb cast with low mag dial.