Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by silversix » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:36 am

any idea if he has the matte colored spools for the pixy platform? not a big fan of the glossy colored ones.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:11 am

silversix wrote:any idea if he has the matte colored spools for the pixy platform? not a big fan of the glossy colored ones.
No, not yet. I ordered my Pixy spool and TD Zillion spool at the same time. Both spools came in the improved plastic spool containers, but the TD Zillion spool came in a container marked TD Zillion Spool and the Pixy came in a container with generic markings. The TD Zillion spool was satin and the Pixy spool was polished.

The trend here is towards non polished spools in the new container. Non polished 103 and T3 spools have been out for a while. The Tatula debuted in polished form, disappeared for a while and reappeared in non polished from recently. The Alphas spools have sold out in polished form and have not resurfaced in non-polished finish since.

I own:

polished Alphas red

polished 103 black with fixed inductor

polished red Pixy

non polished TD Zillion gold

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:18 pm

alright thanks. gotta wait until available then.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:03 pm

LowRange wrote: When you order your DIY Pixy spool and you leave a message to the seller indicating that you want a spool without holes, I would suggest using phrases like (NO HOLES) rather than (without holes). I ordered my TD Zillion spool without holes and got one with holes.

Why did you order a spool without holes? :thinking: It´s a little heavier and more difficult to tie the line to.
Or am I missing something? Thinking about buying a spool for my OG Zillion, too :D

Josh

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:03 am

Obviously, not sure about the others, but I bought a spool without holes for my Zillion mostly because I'm actually going to try it out with braid for frog duty and in my mind the solid spool is going to A) help with longer casts - more inertia and B) be a little stronger??? We'll see.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:26 am

Josh-G wrote:
LowRange wrote: When you order your DIY Pixy spool and you leave a message to the seller indicating that you want a spool without holes, I would suggest using phrases like (NO HOLES) rather than (without holes). I ordered my TD Zillion spool without holes and got one with holes.

Why did you order a spool without holes? :thinking: It´s a little heavier and more difficult to tie the line to.
Or am I missing something? Thinking about buying a spool for my OG Zillion, too :D

Josh
My TD Zillion DIY spool went into an IP68 that sees use on a Tatula Megatop and FX-711X4 Seven Eleven. The spools without holes are stronger than the spools with holes and when I went to order the TD Zillion spool I had some fantasy about using the DIY spool on the Seven Eleven pitching with heavy fluorocarbon.

I don't know exactly how much stronger a no holes spool is but if they are like the Daiwa spools then there should be a significant difference. For example the Daiwa air spools aren't recommended to be used with braided line or to throw baits over a half ounce yet on an SV spool braid and heavy baits are of no concern.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:12 am

Thanks guys, but I don´t think that a weight difference of 0,5 gramm between holes and no holes will have a significant effect on casting distance.
You might be right regarding stability. But what should happen? You think the spool might get crushed? Only if you pull against something VERY heavy or if you try to rip out a stuck bait using the reel. But even in that case I´d be more worried about the thin spool axis if it´s thin like on the DIY Alphas spool.
LowRange wrote:For example the Daiwa air spools aren't recommended to be used with braided line or to throw baits over a half ounce yet on an SV spool braid and heavy baits are of no concern.

I have an Alphas Air and I use ist with 7lb PE. I haven´t seen any warnings on the box regarding not using braid. Maybe it was in japanese and I didn´t get it ;) But it works perfectly.

I use my OG Zillion for throwing 100gr Jerks. Do you think the DIY is capable of doing that more than once? :big grin:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:47 am

The Alphas Air spool may be an exception to the Daiwa air spool restriction due to its lack of holes. I believe the cause for concern here is the holes on, what I call the bulkhead, of the spool where it attaches to the shaft. A locked down drag and some pulling force can shear the spokes created by the holes and destroy the spool. The no braid warning is probably there because they're covering their rear ends in the event someone gets a spool stoppage mid cast from a backlash while throwing a heaver weight bait with drag locked down. I use braid all the time on my DIY spools with holes but I have my drag set correctly and never exceed 1/4 ounce total package weight with any of the combos with DIY spool in them. The TD Zillion spool was the only spool I planned to to BFS and power techniques with which is why requested a no holes spool.

EDIT:

Here's a Haibo Smart spool that has been annihilated by using the spool to pull on a stuck bait.

Link to forum topic the image is sourced from: http://cast-fishing.ru/forum/multiplika ... ge-10.html (use google translate if you can't read slav runes)

link to a blog speaking about Daiwa's restrictions in regards to the Air spool in the T3 Air and SS Air.

http://lurerstyle.blogspot.com/2014/04/ ... er-on.html

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:39 am

LowRange wrote:I believe the cause for concern here is the holes on, what I call the bulkhead, of the spool where it attaches to the shaft. A locked down drag and some pulling force can shear the spokes created by the holes and destroy the spool.
Thanks a lot. I never paid attention to that part of the spool. That´s definetely the weak part. I just looked at a couple of my Alphas spools and saw that those "spokes" on the Air spool are even a tiny little bit thinner than the ones on the DIY. They´re actually scary thin :-k

Well, are the DIY spools without holes solid where they join the axis? If so, that´s the way I´ll go from now on ;)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:07 am

I don't own a no holes Daiwa spool and the only pic I can find of a no holes spool that shows the area in question, does indeed have holes. It's a Shimano DIY spool but I imagine a Daiwa TD Zillion spool is no different.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:38 am

My DIY Zillion spool does have porting on the inside section that attaches to the spool shaft. It is more robust than the same area on my DIY Pixy spool. The DIY Pixy spool gets pretty thin in that area. That being said, it looks like there is no difference between that area on a ported Zillion vs non-ported.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:09 am

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:59 am

I went fishing with one of the original blue tdz spools today. Worked great for the first half hour then after a bad backlash when I tried to throw a senko way too hard suddenly I had no mag braking. Sure enough the inductor turns all the way around now. The plastic piece that attaches to the inductor isn't holding it any longer. I put some super glue around it this evening. Hopefully it will hold this time.

DaveJ

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: IlliniDawg01

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:06 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:I went fishing with one of the original blue tdz spools today. Worked great for the first half hour then after a bad backlash when I tried to throw a senko way too hard suddenly I had no mag braking. Sure enough the inductor turns all the way around now. The plastic piece that attaches to the inductor isn't holding it any longer. I put some super glue around it this evening. Hopefully it will hold this time.

DaveJ
That's what I'm afraid of with using it in my Zillion for frogging [-o< ....I guess we'll see. Definitely keeping the stock spool just in case.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:33 pm

It seems like it's inevitable that after some use the inductor will detach from the air brake mechanism with these spools. It can always be epoxied back on with some Devcon but that will require the removal of the retainer clip and spring. I'll leave the disassembly and reasembly of the air brake to the pros when this happens to my spools. I would almost certainly damage the thin inductor trying to remove the snap ring.