Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
swoffer
Angler
Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by swoffer » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:35 am

Hi newbie here looking to see if I can upgrade my own T3 MX 1016. Please be a little understanding if the questions seem basic. I have been trying to learn as much as I can.

1. So I will need to buy a Ray's Studio spool compatible with T3 on aliexpress like this one. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 98716.html. Has anyone tried dropping this yet?

2. Does this spool come with bearings or no?

3. Should I be buying new bearings for the Ray's Studio spool and fix it up?

4. Should I be buying a pin remover kit or something like that? Or this Ray's Studio spool that I should be buying from Aliexpress is just a direct drop in to the T3 without the need for modification?

5. I have seen some websites that said the replacement spool should be ordered with a different set of bearings, apparently 1050 instead as the T3's default is 1130. Not sure if this is true or necessary.

Thanks!

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:38 am

Pictures of "shimano" spool for scorpion 1001, placed by member of fisherman's society in social web:

Owners impression:
Spool for scorpion xt1001 from Ming. High quality, brakes works, it goes without weights. It works with 2 gr and above.
Link to buy: http://ali.pub/xvwqb

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:05 pm

swoffer wrote:Hi newbie here looking to see if I can upgrade my own T3 MX 1016. Please be a little understanding if the questions seem basic. I have been trying to learn as much as I can.

1. So I will need to buy a Ray's Studio spool compatible with T3 on aliexpress like this one. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 98716.html. Has anyone tried dropping this yet?

2. Does this spool come with bearings or no?

3. Should I be buying new bearings for the Ray's Studio spool and fix it up?

4. Should I be buying a pin remover kit or something like that? Or this Ray's Studio spool that I should be buying from Aliexpress is just a direct drop in to the T3 without the need for modification?

5. I have seen some websites that said the replacement spool should be ordered with a different set of bearings, apparently 1050 instead as the T3's default is 1130. Not sure if this is true or necessary.

Thanks!
1-yes
2- yes. it includes a micro ceramic BB. they're pretty good, but loud.
3- you can buy better bearings if you want to. Hedgehog/ZPI has the best ones in my opinion. not sure on the bearing size needed for the Ray's Studio spool, tho. Some1 else should clarify on the size needed.
4- you don't need to modify anything unless you want to replace the stock Ray's Studio spool bearing to something higher end. Then a spool pin remover will be the preferred option (you can do it with pliers but a pin remover is better)
5- you won't need to replace anything on the spool. Its a direct drop into a T3 without needing to do anything.

swoffer
Angler
Angler

Post by swoffer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:02 am

awesome. thanks!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:13 am

Alphas DIY spool is back. Satin finish, new porting pattern, matt black inductor and a different bearing. Interesting.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 02817.html

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:21 pm

looks much better than the previous ones

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:36 am

ABU SPOOL ABU SPOOLS ABU SPOOLS ABU SPOOLS ABU SPOOLS ABU SPOOLS ABU SPOOLS

DIY ABU REVO LT LT6 AE74 DEEZ6 CUSTOM HONEYCOMB FISHING REEL SPOOL 7.65g
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.3Oq81Q

DIY ABU REVO SX-HS BLACK6 CUSTOM HONEYCOMB FISHING REEL SPOOL 9.82g

DIY ABU BLACK MAX3 SILVER MAX3 PMAX3 ORRA2 CUSTOM HONEYCOMB FISHING REEL SPOOL 9.5g

DIY ABU BLACK MAX2 SILVER MAX2 PMAX2 CUSTOM HONEYCOMB FISHING REEL SPOOL 13.6g
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-ABU ... 61c2&tpp=1

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Seems like a lot of problems with these spools. Are there any, of similar abilities, that have less problems. Dont want to spend money on a spool that is this fragile. TIA.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:03 pm

The spools aren't fragile at all, but the glue used to attach the plastic piece to the inductor seems to be questionable. The machine work and metal quality is exceptional imo. Similar spools that might not have the glue problem cost like 3x as much. I'm handy, so I prefer to save $80 and reglue if necessary.

DaveJ

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:42 pm

I picked one of these up for my PX68 and the reel will now cast lower weights than my rod will load without a lot of force. With a lot of force it will throw a true 1/8oz lure as far as the combo used to be able to throw a 1/4oz one, which was it's old comfortable lower limi. I do worry about the durability a bit, but for $50 rather than $150, I am willing to roll the dice a bit.

I will say the spool bearing pin is super loose, I didn't even need a tool to remove it when I stuck a Air BFS bearing on it. I assume the pin is pretty well captured when the spool is in the reel? Or is this something I should be worried about?

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:57 am

Houndfish wrote:I picked one of these up for my PX68 and the reel will now cast lower weights than my rod will load without a lot of force. With a lot of force it will throw a true 1/8oz lure as far as the combo used to be able to throw a 1/4oz one, which was it's old comfortable lower limi. I do worry about the durability a bit, but for $50 rather than $150, I am willing to roll the dice a bit.

I will say the spool bearing pin is super loose, I didn't even need a tool to remove it when I stuck a Air BFS bearing on it. I assume the pin is pretty well captured when the spool is in the reel? Or is this something I should be worried about?
I noticed this as well, the spool pin is actually tapered. The only thing that really holds it in place is the textured part of the pin. Could be an issue in the long run if the pin gets loose over time, and comes out when the reel is disengaged.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:59 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:I picked one of these up for my PX68 and the reel will now cast lower weights than my rod will load without a lot of force. With a lot of force it will throw a true 1/8oz lure as far as the combo used to be able to throw a 1/4oz one, which was it's old comfortable lower limi. I do worry about the durability a bit, but for $50 rather than $150, I am willing to roll the dice a bit.

I noticed this as well, the spool pin is actually tapered. The only thing that really holds it in place is the textured part of the pin. Could be an issue in the long run if the pin gets loose over time, and comes out when the reel is disengaged.
Would a drop of loctite fix that?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:52 am

zodiak311 wrote: I noticed this as well, the spool pin is actually tapered. The only thing that really holds it in place is the textured part of the pin. Could be an issue in the long run if the pin gets loose over time, and comes out when the reel is disengaged.
I don't know enough about the inner workings of the reel, but how far out of the "slot" does the pin move during use? I had thought to try and get a measurement of the hole and try to find a slightly larger pin, but my cheap calipers were not giving me a consistent reading to find the hole size.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 am

It doesn't move at all, I was just saying that it could happen over time if the pin is removed multiple times, it could get looser over time.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.