Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:Oops sorry I got pixy airy red lol, but I have Alphas SV105.
No worries!

I'm not sure how much line the Ray's Pixy spool holdsbut it came bff very much.
You would need a 32mm to 31mm spacer for that, and I'm not sure if anyone makes one that size. ZPI maybe but I'm not sure.
Thanks Adam.
I might do something wrong, I got only 70ft with both stock and Ray's spool casting Zoom Super Fluke Jr with 2/0 EWG hook. The rod is Majorcraft Go Emotion 652L/BF and both spool with #4 Izorline. It is better than my Alphas 105 and Aldebaran MG7(about 50 ft) but not to the point that I expected. I might need to clean spool bearing or upgrade to ABEC7. One thing I found that ray's air bearing is pretty loose on the shaft. After caught 1 fish the bearing become noisy when cast. I've seen ppl mentioned about this before, how do I fix this.
to fix the rays spool bearing, get a bearing sleeve from a zillion 1016sv spool (parts for the zillion spool can be ordered separately from PLAT) and add you bearing of choice , be it a bfs hedgehog bearing or other brand, done this with all my rays spools and made a difference to the noise.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:20 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Anyone have any idea when the Tatula CT spools, Zillion TWS, etc. might show back up on Aliexpress??? They have shown sold out for a month or so for me...
I have been trying to find a blue DIY spool for an Alphas or a Pixy for months now, I really hope they make some more.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Got MOMO yesterday. Spooled with 15lb Spiderwire smooth 8 braid (0,06mm). It took ~100m line, which is more than enough. Perfect fit with my TN Steez

Tested with plastics and weights:

3,2g lure threw 19m (62ft) (Yellow in pic)
4,6g weight threw 40m (131ft)
5,2g threw 26m (85ft) Brown
8,8g threw over 40m (>130ft) every cast (Light green on picture)

Spool is very stabile to cast. Just what i were looking for. I have Ray's studios BFS spool also, but this is better for sure.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:24 am

I just jumped into this thread and don't see a scale reading for the empty spool weight. What was it?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:58 am

^^Momo's Honeycomb spool weights 6.6 g with bearing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOMO-Studio-Ho ... 3244400054

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:03 am

jvelth74 wrote:^^Momo's Honeycomb spool weights 6.6 g with bearing.
And is pricey, but WOW!

Thanks for the info and link.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 am

Yep, it’s not cheap for a copy of Zonda spool. But obviously it’s not that simple to produce a product good enough. Because if that would be easy, then we would have Ebay full of a copies of copy-Zonda.

I have it, I’m happy with it. Yeah, it’s noisy but it casts extremely well lightweight lures. I casted 51 m of measured distance with 5 g weight. Finally it made my SV Zillion truly capable for perch jigging. Basicly all the jigs that I have before casted with spinning reel could now be casted by my Zillion.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 pm

jvelth74 wrote:Yep, it’s not cheap for a copy of Zonda spool. But obviously it’s not that simple to produce a product good enough. Because if that would be easy, then we would have Ebay full of a copies of copy-Zonda.

I have it, I’m happy with it. Yeah, it’s noisy but it casts extremely well lightweight lures. I casted 51 m of measured distance with 5 g weight. Finally it made my SV Zillion truly capable for perch jigging. Basicly all the jigs that I have before casted with spinning reel could now be casted by my Zillion.
5g is a lot, you dont need a 6.6g spool to cast that. A stock Pixy spool weighting in at 14.5g will cast that perfectly.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:34 am

The Ray's spools always ran about $10 more on Ebay than Aliexpress. That would make the Momo spools $70 spools on Aliexpress. $80 on Ebay for a Momo spool that is significantly lighter weight and more controlled is not a bad deal at all IMO. Yes, the same spool in Abu form was $50 all day long on Aliexpress but the addition of the inductor is an additional cost even though it is fixed inductor. The Abu spools had an aluminum ring pressed into the side of the spool. The Daiwa spools have an inductor that requires a lot more effort and precision to manufacture and install.

I bought my Zonda BFS spool for $80 used but the price on those has skyrocked to at almost 2X if you want one right now thanks to supply and demand. I would have a hard time buying a used Megabass BFS spool for Zonda let alone IS for what I payed for my Zonda spool. These Momo spools are the next best thing to what a used MB BFS spool would go for and are brand new. If I was in the market for another MB BFS spool and my options were $120+ shot at a used MB BFS for IS/Steez 103 best case scenario or one of these spools brand new all day long in my choice of color for $80 while being both 103 and T3/Ryoga 1016 compatible then I would probably opt for the Momo.

I have a hard time finding fault in them for $80 on Ebay honestly . I wish they were $50 and not $80 but the demand is low. They control the supply and there is no competition other than the Ray's spools but these are designed to cast even lighter and with more ease than the Ray's spools. The Ray's spools saturated the market but these spools appear to pick up where the Ray's leave off. We have guys glueing the inductor into the extended position on the Ray's spools to make them more like the the MB BFS spools and these spools offer that in stock form for $80.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/34mm-BFS-Honey ... %7Ciid%3A1

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:11 am

SSS wrote:5g is a lot, you dont need a 6.6g spool to cast that. A stock Pixy spool weighting in at 14.5g will cast that perfectly.
It depends on person and whole combination, but I don’t enjoy to cast with my Momo’s below than 4 g. But 5 g I can be cast over 50 meters which is more than enough.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:13 am

jvelth74 wrote:
SSS wrote:5g is a lot, you dont need a 6.6g spool to cast that. A stock Pixy spool weighting in at 14.5g will cast that perfectly.
It depends on person and whole combination, but I don’t enjoy to cast with my Momo’s below than 4 g. But 5 g I can be cast over 50 meters which is more than enough.
Can your rod load these weights?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:52 am

SSS wrote:Can your rod load these weights?
Yes

St.Croix Avid Series® Salmon & Steelhead AVC96MLF2: this is my longest casting ligh baitcasting rod. 5 g loads it fully in power casting. (This rod loads in power cast almost by it's own weight despite of lightness of it.)

Another ones:

St.Croix Mojo Bass MJC71MF2 (Plastics): This does not load fully, but anyway casts well 5 g. But is not as long casting as longer steelhead rod.

Daiwa Prorex PX742MFB-AS: Does not load with 5 g. And does not cast as good as St.Croix's. But this rod with very sensitive tip is better for small perches.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 am

I have the same St Croix Avid 9’6” and a 9’ Legend Elite also MLF2. They are great rods and can throw 5g. However, as SSS is implying, I am sure that you will be able to go down to 2-3 grams with the right rod (that is another rod :-)). The spool is obviously very important for throwing light lures, but I have been amazed with how big a difference the right rod makes. In general, the “right” setup is more important for baitcasting than for spinning tackle (when it cones to light lures). Get yourself a “true” BFS/trout rod and I am sure you will happy :-) This year I have used a Daiwa Wise Stream 62lb3, which has been great.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 pm

^ That's true. But I think I can 'cast' 2 grams ~20 m with this long and light Avid (maybe I must test that). But regardless of that I'm not sure is that a cast if lure flies 20 m :) It's less than 10x times length of rod. And with fly rod and line that lure can be cast 20 m as well :D

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Ok. I have trouble with 2 g with Avid, which simply does not load well with sub 5-7g lures. IMO many US rods are underrated - i.e. they work better with heavier lures than what the rod label says. For many EU and JP rods, the casting weight rating is more appropriate. To me, there is little joy (and some frustration) when fishing 2g lures with the Avid whereas I plainly love to throw the same 2g lures with the “right” rod. Note, I do not get a 2g lure further than 20 m - but it is just so much fun, fast, effortless, and addictive fishing.