Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:11 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:28 am
There is also this silly thing. It is a spool from one of the many cheap BFS reels on the site. This one has an air brake like mechanism in the spool. If the DIY spools were to incorporate this then you could have SV like spools for Abu and other linear magbrake reels.
That style mag control dates back 15+ yrs. The old BPS Rick Clunn signature series reels had this same mechanism back in '04.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:11 pm
LowRange wrote:
There is also this silly thing. It is a spool from one of the many cheap BFS reels on the site. This one has an air brake like mechanism in the spool. If the DIY spools were to incorporate this then you could have SV like spools for Abu and other linear magbrake reels.
That style mag control dates back 15+ yrs. The old BPS Rick Clunn signature series reels had this same mechanism back in '04.
An SV like ramp? That is what is in that spool. The flat inductor is held in place with a spring and rotates outward on a ramp like Daiwa Air Brake. The old Rick Clun BPS reels were Doyo dual brake if I remember correctly.

Skip to 9:50 to see flat inductor operation.
https://youtu.be/thw7pVLKrrs

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:21 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:27 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:
An SV like ramp? That is what is in that spool. The flat inductor is held in place with a spring and rotates outward on a ramp like Daiwa Air Brake. The old Rick Clun BPS reels were Doyo dual brake if I remember correctly.

Yes, that's virtually identical to the old BPS reel's operation. I instantly thought of that brake when the SV rotors were introduced. There truly is nothing new under the sun. Those reels were from before any reel had a dual brake system. They were a weird matte purple color and came out about the same time as the original Johnny Morris Signature Series reels were first introduced; they were even the same basic frame. I serviced a few of those reels for a buddy way back when, which is why I remember it so vividly.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:46 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:21 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:27 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Yes, that's virtually identical to the old BPS reel's operation. I instantly thought of that brake when the SV rotors were introduced. There truly is nothing new under the sun. Those reels were from before any reel had a dual brake system. They were a weird matte purple color and came out about the same time as the original Johnny Morris Signature Series reels were first introduced; they were even the same basic frame. I serviced a few of those reels for a buddy way back when, which is why I remember it so vividly.
I had no idea. Neat. Were those the fake Daiwa TD-X looking Silstar made BPS reels?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:56 pm

No, pretty sure that they were Doyo reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:40 pm

fishinblack wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:16 am
Does anybody now any aftermarkt spools for the Daiwa Pixy, Presso, PX68 platform?
I know the PX-68 Finesse Special spool and the DIY from Aliexpress: www.aliexpress.com/item/32827786438.html

I'm aiming for something a bit lighter and a bit more shallow, with the <6g spools from RORO and MOMO in mind...
Thanks for your help! ;)
There is the Presso spool too. I don't have any info on how it casts. It is fixed inductor and meant for the old presso rods. Ichiban has one for sale. It might be too heavy though at 11 grams.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Wed May 06, 2020 4:38 am

RORO shallow spool with FIXED inductor.

just want to give some input about this spool, I bought 34mm MOMO shallow spool with fixed inductor as it's lighter compare to ray's studio I have. I've tried and cast this spool using reel: t3mx, zillion sv tw, millionaire 103 BCS, steez 103h & td-z 105h.

result:
spool work fine with T3MX, zillion sv tw, millionaire 103 BCS & zillion sv tw
birdnest occurred with steez 103h & TD-Z 105h even though brake setting at max.

all reel setup for tension cap are slightly loose. I believe it's due to inductor being very short and resulting of very weak magnet braking.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 06, 2020 9:44 am

wandyhee wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:38 am
RORO shallow spool with FIXED inductor.

just want to give some input about this spool, I bought 34mm MOMO shallow spool with fixed inductor as it's lighter compare to ray's studio I have. I've tried and cast this spool using reel: t3mx, zillion sv tw, millionaire 103 BCS, steez 103h & td-z 105h.

result:
spool work fine with T3MX, zillion sv tw, millionaire 103 BCS & zillion sv tw
birdnest occurred with steez 103h & TD-Z 105h even though brake setting at max.

all reel setup for tension cap are slightly loose. I believe it's due to inductor being very short and resulting of very weak magnet braking.
If memory serves me correctly the 1016 and the old 103 sized spool are almost identical in dimensions except the 1016 spools are one mm longer in the spool shaft. This typically is not an issue for 103 reels running 1016 spools because they can just back off the spool tension.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you need to remove a shim from under the palming side spool bearing to shift the inductor into the magnetic field. Maybe even add another to the spool tension side. When the the spool is in a 103 reel does it appear centered?

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Fri May 08, 2020 10:55 pm

in pictures below,
BLUE: Ray's Studio old old version
BLACK: RORO shallow spool

Tension cap set to almost zero movement on all reels. Ray's Studio spool are much centered compare to RORO spool which offset toward side plate.
Last edited by wandyhee on Sat May 09, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri May 08, 2020 11:09 pm

Does anyone know if they're making diy star drag for the pixy (without the clicker)?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 09, 2020 2:55 pm

wandyhee wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:55 pm
in pictures below,
BLUE: Ray's Studio old old version
BLACK: RORO shallow spool

Tension cap set to almost zero movement on all reels. Ray's Studio spool are much centered compare to RORO spool which offset toward side plate.
Strange the Roro looks like it is actually sitting closer to the magnets. Not sure on this one. It looks rbe opposite of what I would expect to see based on the behavior

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Sun May 10, 2020 4:57 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Strange the Roro looks like it is actually sitting closer to the magnets. Not sure on this one. It looks rbe opposite of what I would expect to see based on the behavior
I didn't notice this before until you asked, so I guess Ray's Studio is better than RORO spool in term of fitment in Daiwa reel

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:27 am

Roro Amo spool seems to work pretty well in the Morethan PE TW, at least in limited casting with a 1/2 oz casting plug in no wind conditions (not the most challenging). Have to test it out a bit more.

Last edited by y2k88 on Fri May 15, 2020 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 15, 2020 4:00 am

y2k88 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:27 am
Roro seems to work pretty well in the Morethan PE TW, at least in limited casting with a 1/2 oz casting plug in no wind conditions (not the most challenging). Have to test it out a bit more.

Is that an Amo spool? It sort of looks like a $50 ZPI NRC001 M spool. Do you have any experience with the ZPI spools to compare? I have an Amo on the way.
Last edited by LowRange on Fri May 15, 2020 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:02 am

Sorry, yeah I meant Amo. No experience with a ZPI.