TDZ 103HL maintenance question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

TDZ 103HL maintenance question

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:31 am

Happy New year to all.

I was putting in a carbontex drag set into a newly acquired Tdz 103HL.

After taking the reel apart and putting it back together, when the drag is tightened down, it becomes harder to turn the handle. ](*,)

It seems that the drag star touches the silver handle side plate piece, that houses the drive shaft.

I checked and know that I have all the correct pieces and washers from #86-95. And it doesn't look like I am missing any pieces
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schemati ... play_media

Has anyone experienced this or have any input? It would be much appreciated. Thanks!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TDZ 103HL maintenance question

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:18 pm

[-o<

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:55 pm

:cry:

smokindrags
Angler
Angler

Post by smokindrags » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:43 pm

It does sound odd.
Not owning a tdz I couldnt say.
You say you have checked all your parts are there,
the only thing I can think of is that the carbontex are thinner then the orig washers.
Which you have lost height in the stack.
Oh just had a thought.
Are your cupped washers apposing each other as if there the same way you will lose height under the drag star.
Hope this helps.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Let me look at those cupped washers again. Thanks!

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:32 pm

I am no expert with Daiwa but do know something about the problem you describe.

Check to see that the Gear Shift Collar (83) protrudes past the Roller Clutch (85). If the roller clutch bearing has pressure directly on it, and not the collar, the handle will be harder to turn when the star drag is tightened.

Just a thought. Use it or lose it !

Good luck.

Terry.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:44 am

Good call Zimbass. I just had this very issue.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:41 am

Zimbass wrote:I am no expert with Daiwa but do know something about the problem you describe.

Check to see that the Gear Shift Collar (83) protrudes past the Roller Clutch (85). If the roller clutch bearing has pressure directly on it, and not the collar, the handle will be harder to turn when the star drag is tightened.

Just a thought. Use it or lose it !

Good luck.

Terry.
Thanks I will take a look tonight.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:49 am

Big thanks to Zimbass. I was looking at washers the whole time, but totally neglected to look at all my bearings. I bought this reel online, and just realized that it never came with Ball bearing G #86, which rides on top of the gear shift color.

I should of realized this, because when I first received the reel, I noticed that the drag star when tightened down, was very close to the side plate.

Thanks for all the help! Now to source the ball bearing. Does anyone know what the dimensions on this bearing is?

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am

zodiak311 wrote:Big thanks to Zimbass. I was looking at washers the whole time, but totally neglected to look at all my bearings. I bought this reel online, and just realized that it never came with Ball bearing G #86, which rides on top of the gear shift color.

I should of realized this, because when I first received the reel, I noticed that the drag star when tightened down, was very close to the side plate.

Thanks for all the help! Now to source the ball bearing. Does anyone know what the dimensions on this bearing is?
Anyone know the dimensions? Thanks

MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MisterQ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:40 am

zodiak311 wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:Big thanks to Zimbass. I was looking at washers the whole time, but totally neglected to look at all my bearings. I bought this reel online, and just realized that it never came with Ball bearing G #86, which rides on top of the gear shift color.

It's a 8 x 12 x 2.5 mm open bearing
If you have any trouble finding it, a shielded bearing 8 x 12 x 3.5 mm should works well

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:38 pm

MisterQ wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:

It's a 8 x 12 x 2.5 mm open bearing
If you have any trouble finding it, a shielded bearing 8 x 12 x 3.5 mm should works well
Thanks!