Balls, balls,balls... Ball bearings test

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Balls, balls,balls... Ball bearings test

Post by Cracker » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:30 am

Everyone knows what size do matters when we are talking about balls overall, especially in certain cases :D
In our case (baitcaster supertuning) it also matters, by using high quality balls we want our baitcasters become more sufficient, especially distance wise. What is a point to spend extra money with no achievement :?:
Some folks claim high quality SIC ball bearings increase casting distance, some folks deny it.
In order to find out the true and brought my tackle to my county American football field specially picking very calm day.
Beautiful spring morning in blooming Southern state of Georgia, March 12 2016, hot day with temperature exceeding 80F(26C)

As I wrote in "Daiwa Zillion TW SV" thread, I'm not gonna cast baits to claim 100 yards distances.
With low gear ratio reel I didn't really want to walk down the field, and spool back all that line.
The baits I used - common baits I use in bass fishing.

1. Heddon Zara Spook Jr. 11.4g
2. All Terrain skipping jig with Strike King craw trailer total weight 17.4g
3. Keitech tungsten 3/16Oz jig head and 4" grub total weight 8.2g

The tackle I have been using - G. Loomis NRX 893C rod and Daiwa Zillion TW SV 5.5 reel spooled with 60 yards Sunline Sniper 10lb fluorocarbon.

First thing I tried to figure out what was the best setting on the dial to throw specific bait, after throwing couple times just to make sure it is correct setting, and I'm getting about maximum distance, without spool line fluffing, I cast three-four times to put the data on the paper. Cast control setting on all tests been always the same - one click loose after the spool stops to wiggle. If the lure landed at 40.25 yard line I would counted as 40 yards, if 40.75 - 41 yards, 41.5 - 41.5 yards respectively.

Test A - First set of the test - I was using flushed stocked Daiwa balls oiled with ZPI F-Zero Extra-Long Cast Bearing Oil, free spool rotation approximately ~15 sec

1. Heddon Zara Spook 45,44,43 yards
2. Jig 36,37,35 yards
3. Keitech jighead with twister - 31,32,31 yards

Test B - Hedgehog SIC Air bearings flushed and lube free, free spool rotation about 30sec

1. Heddon Zara Spook 47,48,48 yards
2. Jig 41.5,40,41 yards
3. Keitech jighead with twister - 34,35,35 yards

DRY OR WET :D , I guess depends who you gonna ask.
Since it is another big argument about how to run SIC balls, lubed with extra fast oil or dry, I performed another test with applying a drop of oil applied on each ball.

Test C - Hedgehog SIC Air bearings flushed and oiled with ZPI F-Zero Extra-Long Cast Bearing Oil

1. Heddon Zara Spook 45,47,45 yards
2. Jig 37,36,37 yards
3. Keitech jighead with twister - 32,33,33 yards

And the funny part, actually the funniest, because the whole thing was just a fun.
Once in while the Chevy or Ford truck driving down on a county road would stop, driver window would rolled down and I could hear yell :D - Hey Y'all there ain't fish anymore.

At one point a parking at park's club house almost got full and couple gentlemen walked down the field curious what I'm doing. I guess you are not often see a guy with a tackle on a football field throwing some baits.

As I remember someone on our forum said most anglers don't know anything about high quality ball bearing and always use stock, I tried to explain what I'm doing refering some good known brands, and I'm not talking here about less known brands like YT Fusion, KTF, SPLW, etc I just mentioned ZPI, Hedgehog, Boca, guys didn't have a clue. One even said - you are crazy if you not fishing right at the lake when we have weather like that. Maybe I'm, but at least I know - balls do matter :D

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Balls, balls,balls... Ball bearings test

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks, Cracker, for sharing your test results with us.

It certainly looks like one can gain some distance over that reel's stock bearings with this upgrade.

Has anyone here used oil-free Hedgehog SIC Air bearings for a season, so as to be able to form an opinion as to wear and lasting smoothness?

Cracker, did you have mono (or braid) backing under the fluorocarbon, or did 60 yards of 10 lb. Sniper fill the spool?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:37 pm

Bronzeye,

I didn't have any backing, and it didn't fill the spool. I usually cut 200 yard spool into 3 parts, this is why I spool around 66-67 yards of line. Daiwa saying you don't have to fill that SV spool all the way up.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:42 pm

I really appreciate the write up, and taking the time to do the field test. Very informative.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 pm

You should have been casting football head jigs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for sharing this with us. =D>

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:53 pm

I averaged your yards and converted to feet. I outlined the gains of the SIC bearings vs the stock bearings.
Stock spool
Heddon - 132ft
Jig - 108ft
Keitech - 94ft

SIC lubed
Heddon - 137ft (+5ft)
Jig - 109ft (+1ft)
Keitech - 97ft (+3ft)

SIC dry
Heddon - 144ft (+12ft)
Jig - 122.50ft (+14.50ft)
Keitech - 103ft (+9ft)

Some companies and people claim a 20% gain when using upgraded bearings vs stock bearings. Using your data, that is clearly not the case. Dry SIC bearings clearly cast the longest distance. Both stock and SIC lubed, the casting distance is very close.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:54 pm

njbasscat wrote:I averaged your yards and converted to feet. I outlined the gains of the SIC bearings vs the stock bearings.
Stock spool
Heddon - 132ft
Jig - 108ft
Keitech - 94ft

SIC lubed
Heddon - 137ft (+5ft)
Jig - 109ft (+1ft)
Keitech - 97ft (+3ft)

SIC dry
Heddon - 144ft (+12ft)
Jig - 122.50ft (+14.50ft)
Keitech - 103ft (+9ft)

Some companies and people claim a 20% gain when using upgraded bearings vs stock bearings. Using your data, that is clearly not the case. Dry SIC bearings clearly cast the longest distance. Both stock and SIC lubed, the casting distance is very close.
Since he didn't test the stock bearings dry, we don't have a true baseline. In appears SiC (these specific ones) give about a 3% gain with the same lube applied.

It seems likely the biggest gains would be with micro bearings and bfs baits on super light spools. With regular baits like in the test above, the gains are probably not even noticeable on the waterexcept maybe when shore fishing.

DaveJ

DaveJ

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:23 am

njbasscat wrote:
Thank you for that conversion. Yes, I red before some companies claim 20% gain, but we don't know the reel they been using (it probably was inexpensive one ), what kind of bearings (quality) and the condition of those bearings.
I would say Zillion's TW SV stock bearings are pretty good, but I don't mind to pay extra to get my reel a little better.
Last edited by Cracker on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote: Since he didn't test the stock bearings dry, we don't have a true baseline. In appears SiC (these specific ones) give about a 3% gain with the same lube applied.
It seems likely the biggest gains would be with micro bearings and bfs baits on super light spools. With regular baits like in the test above, the gains are probably not even noticeable on the waterexcept maybe when shore fishing.
DaveJ
I didn't perform a test with stock stainless steel bearings dry, because no one recommends to use them dry anyway.
I know BOCA told me you can run SIC bearings completely dry, however when I asked Hedgehog about it - they answered - no.
I don't know there is the true, Hedgehog might want to upsell own oil to everyone who orders bearings from them, but I will continue to run my SIC bearings lube dry.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:11 am

well done

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:30 am

Very interesting, well done. I'm surprised you got any improvement with lubed ceramics. I tried putting a tiny amount of yellow rocket fuel in my hedgehog ceramics in a BFS reel and it would barely cast at all, where dry it's noisy, but the performance is excellent.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:42 am

Would be interesting to see how the stock bearings perform with TSI 320/321 lube. Mine really fly in a Calais 1001A, Scorpion XT1000 and a Met 13 and have the advantage of being super quiet.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:42 am

Cracker wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote: Since he didn't test the stock bearings dry, we don't have a true baseline. In appears SiC (these specific ones) give about a 3% gain with the same lube applied.
DaveJ
I didn't perform a test with stock stainless steel bearings dry, because no one recommends to use them dry anyway.
I know BOCA told me you can run SIC bearings completely dry, however when I asked Hedgehog about it - they answered - no.
I don't know there is the true, Hedgehog might want to upsell own oil to everyone who orders bearings from them, but I will continue to run my SIC bearings lube dry.
I agree test how they will be used, Nice test Cracker

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:18 am

Sounds about right on the Heddon. I took the hooks off mine so distance is a little bit better at 150ft with no wind.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:31 am

As I've always said about casting distance. People who has never stepped on a football field just don't know how far 100 yards is. When I hear claims of 60-80 yards on typical bass lures I have to laugh. 35-50 yards is more like it. I've also said you'll probably gain 5 yards +/- 3 yards when adding aftermarket bearings. These test pretty much are what I was expecting. The main advantage is ease of cast and less effort.

Awesome testing, thanks for taking the time.