Durability of TD-ITO Sideplates

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
steez_12
Angler
Angler

Durability of TD-ITO Sideplates

Post by steez_12 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:57 am

Hello,

I'm new here to the tackle tour forums. I've got a question regarding the durability of the side plates on the TD-ITO. I've got one that I would like to disassemble and clean. I was wondering if the side plates can be put in an ultrasonic cleaner. I've cleaned steez and megabass IS reels and never had an issue. Just thought I might ask before I start to clean the reel. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Durability of TD-ITO Sideplates

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu May 12, 2016 9:46 am

I would opt for a soft bristle brush and a dawn/warm water mix. That finish can be pretty delicate. It's worth the extra couple of minutes to me and my reel business.

steez_12
Angler
Angler

Post by steez_12 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 am

I figured I may have to treat my itos different when cleaning them. I thought I might ask as I've read the finish is delicate. I was definitely gonna use a soft bristle brush. Just wasn't sure about what cleaning solution to use. I'll give your suggestion a try.

Thanks

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Thu May 12, 2016 11:02 am

As posted above, light soap and warm water is safe, you could also wipe down with a microfiber towel, rubbing alcohol is safe too. never use any degreasers or harsh chemicals on ito sideplates. its also safe to brush the insides with warm soapy water and a sorft toothbrush.

steez_12
Angler
Angler

Post by steez_12 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:29 pm

triple_illusion wrote:As posted above, light soap and warm water is safe, you could also wipe down with a microfiber towel, rubbing alcohol is safe too. never use any degreasers or harsh chemicals on ito sideplates. its also safe to brush the insides with warm soapy water and a sorft toothbrush.
I appreciate the info. I was gonna use mineral spirits to brush them off, then put them in an ultrasonic with a solution of simple green. My gut feeling told me I should ask before I did this, and I'm glad I did. I know now what's the proper way to clean the reel without damaging it. On a side note, nice job with that ito you repainted. That reel looked really nice!

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Fri May 13, 2016 5:53 am

steez_12 wrote:
triple_illusion wrote:As posted above, light soap and warm water is safe, you could also wipe down with a microfiber towel, rubbing alcohol is safe too. never use any degreasers or harsh chemicals on ito sideplates. its also safe to brush the insides with warm soapy water and a sorft toothbrush.
I appreciate the info. I was gonna use mineral spirits to brush them off, then put them in an ultrasonic with a solution of simple green. My gut feeling told me I should ask before I did this, and I'm glad I did. I know now what's the proper way to clean the reel without damaging it. On a side note, nice job with that ito you repainted. That reel looked really nice!
Thanks man! I'm glad we could help you out, the ito is too sweet and needs lots of love lol!

Also, keep in mind that the factory clear coat on the ito sideplates isnt the strongest ever known to man, so brushing the painted/clear coated side isn't the best choice, it can be safe as long as your gentle, but isn't really needed. Microfiber or just a soft cotton towel with the warm water will suffice to clean it off. I would only use a soft toothbrush on the inside to remove grease if its present.

Post up some pics of your combo…