Frame Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Frame Bearings

Post by e_bassfisher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:02 am

mark poulson wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:
tim3716 wrote:What do you guys use to lubricate frame bearings? Oil? Grease? Both?
thin grease. i believe that oil will evacuate easily from the frame bearings and dilute and/or even wash away grease. i would never consider oil for lubricating frame bearings
What are you calling frame bearings? I'm confused (again)!
upper and lower pinion bearings, upper and lower drive shaft bearings, worm shaft bearings, ect. i do use a medium viscosity oil for handle knob bearings

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:23 am

e_bassfisher wrote: thin grease. i believe that oil will evacuate easily from the frame bearings and dilute and/or even wash away grease. i would never consider oil for lubricating frame bearings

upper and lower pinion bearings, upper and lower drive shaft bearings, worm shaft bearings, ect. i do use a medium viscosity oil for handle knob bearings
Thanks for sharing your process.

Out of curiosity ... what do you use to lubricate the worm shaft itself ?

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:24 am

I Think a frame bearing is any bearing in the reel that is not a spool or knob bearing. They rest in the frame of the reel. The bearing under the main shaft, the bearing or bearings for the pinion gear, these are the main bearings referenced in this thread.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:07 am

lifeofRiley wrote:I Think a frame bearing is any bearing in the reel that is not a spool or knob bearing. They rest in the frame of the reel. The bearing under the main shaft, the bearing or bearings for the pinion gear, these are the main bearings referenced in this thread.
Thanks for 'splainen it to me, Lucy!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:25 am

jpd0144 wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote: thin grease. i believe that oil will evacuate easily from the frame bearings and dilute and/or even wash away grease. i would never consider oil for lubricating frame bearings

Grease for me. Seems to last longer and offers more particulate protection. The only one I would consider oiling is a non-disengaging levelwind.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:56 am

e_bassfisher wrote:
tim3716 wrote:What do you guys use to lubricate frame bearings? Oil? Grease? Both?
thin grease. i believe that oil will evacuate easily from the frame bearings and dilute and/or even wash away grease. i would never consider oil for lubricating frame bearings
What brand of thin grease do you recommend?

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:01 am

Pinion bearing, drive shaft bearing and maybe worm gear bearing on some reels. None of my Shimanos have worm gear bearings.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:16 am

I've always heard and followed the "oil on bearings, grease on gears" saying. Seems to have worked out so far, but it's way to early to know for certain I guess.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:43 pm

jpd0144 wrote:

yes, always! for synched line guide reels, i use a very light viscosity grease, or a medium viscosity oil

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:35 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:

yes, always! for synched line guide reels, i use a very light viscosity grease, or a medium viscosity oil
e bassfisher: which light viscosity grease brand do you recommend for frame bearings?