TSI 321 on main gear

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

TSI 321 on main gear

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:14 pm

I have a new brass/aluminum gear set coming for one of my reels., and I'd like to make them last as long as I can.
Will using TSI 321 on a new main and pinion gear set increase their working life?
Can regular gear grease be used on them after the new gears have been coated with TSI 321"

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TSI 321 on main gear

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 pm

For me a good coat of grease, and clean the reel properly when needed and you shouldnt have to worry about ever changing a gear set.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:13 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:For me a good coat of grease, and clean the reel properly when needed and you shouldnt have to worry about ever changing a gear set.
I do that. I service all my reels that get used at least twice a year.
But I still get a "geary" feel in one particular reel, after a while. I have fished that reel hard, and it may just be tired. Hahaha

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:34 pm

I would not use TSI on the gears. Grease is for gears, oil for bearings. Grease will not stick to the gears at all if TSI is applied first. Just stick with grease.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:45 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:I would not use TSI on the gears. Grease is for gears, oil for bearings. Grease will not stick to the gears at all if TSI is applied first. Just stick with grease.
Thanks for the heads up!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:52 am

WS2 powder and grease mix. It's what I run on my Alderbaran and other brass alloy gearset's.

Otherwise dry blast the gearset teeth with that via a mini air brush or sand blaster and coat the gears like that or manually, via an open reel and "puff" it onto the gears and work it in like that.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 am

Slazmo wrote:WS2 powder and grease mix. It's what I run on my Alderbaran and other brass alloy gearset's.

Otherwise dry blast the gearset teeth with that via a mini air brush or sand blaster and coat the gears like that or manually, via an open reel and "puff" it onto the gears and work it in like that.
I'm not familiar with WS2 powder. What is it?
I've been using Cal's Reel and Drag Grease.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:34 am

mark poulson wrote:I'm not familiar with WS2 powder. What is it?
Tungsten Disulfide sometimes referred to as WS2 is dry/solid lubricant powder and is one of the most lubricious substance in world. You can mix the WS2 powder with wet lubricants such as oil, grease & other synthetic lubricants or it can be coated by spraying (at 120 psi) the substrate with dry (& cool) pneumatic air or burnished onto the surface. It does not require any binders and spraying can be done at normal room temperature. Coated film will be 0.5 micron thick.

I use it on spool bearings after cleaning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaRoov7SfYY

I have applied dry and with a solvent.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:47 am

DougL58 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:I'm not familiar with WS2 powder. What is it?
Tungsten Disulfide sometimes referred to as WS2 is dry/solid lubricant powder and is one of the most lubricious substance in world. You can mix the WS2 powder with wet lubricants such as oil, grease & other synthetic lubricants or it can be coated by spraying (at 120 psi) the substrate with dry (& cool) pneumatic air or burnished onto the surface. It does not require any binders and spraying can be done at normal room temperature. Coated film will be 0.5 micron thick.

I use it on spool bearings after cleaning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaRoov7SfYY

I have applied dry and with a solvent.
Thanks.