Tackle Trap/Pike Road Reel Service

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tackle Trap/Pike Road Reel Service

Post by bassmaster_flex » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:34 am

So here’s the short version. I sent a Daiwa Luvias 2004 for a basic clean and lube. Called twice to confirm if they could work on it. Was told yes twice. The reel was in great condition since I hardly used it. I was told the turnaround time was 2 weeks. That’s fine. Sent it out. They received it on March 30th. After 7 weeks I received the reel back with black scuff marks in places and a rattling noise coming from inside the reel when I shook it. Ok. Sent an email stating the situation, no response. Sent an email to the store, finally got a response. Sent it back to get it fixed. Two weeks later (June 19th) sent an email requesting an update. Was told a spring came out of place and the ordered part “was set to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday.” That would mean the part would get there by June 23rd at the latest. That’s fine with me. Requested an update on July 3rd, no response. Called the store on July 11th. No help from the first gentleman. Finally talked to the person who worked on the reel. The part that was supposedly ordered and set to arrive in June was never ordered. That part was just received the day before on July 10th. Guess what? The reel was magically finished and shipping out to me that day. Received the reel on July 13th. Removed the spool and saw black marks on the inside. There was a big gouge on the inside nut.
So basically 3 months before I got a working reel back. Supposedly when I requested an update, somebody tried to reply but “didn’t know why my messages are not arriving to you.” It’s funny because I got the other 16 or so messages they had sent. Given the condition of the reel when I got it back, the time it took and the lack of communication, somebody dropped the ball big time. Felt like I was getting the runaround. Never again will I send my reels there. I'm very glad I don't send my casting reels there. I'm somewhat curious as to what you would do if this happened to your Steez or Stella, or a Metanium, or a limited edition reel? How would you handle it? I've been patient during all of this, almost too patient I think. I've been polite in my communications. Given a Luvias isn't all that expensive of a reel, but it's still my reel that I use and enjoy. It’s too bad because they’ve always had good customer service there. Here are some photos.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tackle Trap/Pike Road Reel Service

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:17 am

Ouch, that sucks, Im sure Gary will make it right. Thats my greatest fear of sending out a reel, that it will come back with scratches and scuffs that I didnt do. You know how OCD some of us are about our tackle.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:19 am

I will gladly give my side of the story here as well...

Mr. Lee did call, 2 times to confirm that we would indeed work on said reel. At the time of his first phone call I was 2 to 3 weeks out on reel work. This changes on a daily basis as more reels come in, and as stated on the web page. So indeed by the time the 2 reels arrived to us, we were more than 4 weeks out. Mr. Lee's reels were cleaned and lubed within a few days of the 4 week turn around time, at which time a phone call was placed to the number provided, to notify him of completed work and to arrange payment for services. Now as stated all contact had been through email to this point. Arranging payment is a personal matter to me and should be handled via conversation, not email.

As for the scuff marks you claim I put on the reel, your email sent to Tackle Trap states they were there after you received the reel back the second time, not the first as you have stated here. The paint on these reels is thin, but where the marks are, there is no tool that contacts that surface. Only a soft scrub brush. The gouge in the nut, I can not explain, as I use wrenches on reels, and that surely looks like pliers were used on it. You did send an email stating there was a problem with the reel, and I told you after you sent an email to Tackle Trap, that I missed it and apologized for doing so. I asked you to send the reel back and I would go through it free of charge. You at this point agreed, and sent the reel back in. Upon reception of the reel, I worked it into the rotation to see what the issue was. After a process of elimination, I narrowed it down to the bail arm spring and spring pocket in the rotor as the source of the noise. Being that this is a JDM reel, parts had to be sourced from Japan. I ordered the part from Plat on the 13th. Parts typically arrive from Plat within a week and a half to two weeks. So when I sent you the reply email, stating the expected date, that would have been within the normal time frame. The part did not arrive upon the expected date. I have no control over this, and communication with Plat is hit or miss at best. Your part arrived on July 10th as stated. And I did not install it the second it arrived. I worked your reel back into rotation. As for you stating it was not ordered, I am not sure where you drew that conclusion.

Now, onto the email situation. I replied to every email you sent in as timely a manner as possible. Your email on July 3rd was received and read as I was spending family time for the 4th. It was replied to on Wednesday the 5th. I am no email guru, so why you didn't receive my reply, or replies is outside of my realm of knowledge. As for you stating you were polite, that is incorrect. The day you called both myself and the other person who originally answered both stated how rude you were. We however understood your frustration and let it go. Your reel was never mistreated. All frames, side plates, gears are hand washed. all other parts, including bearings are cleaned with an ultrasonic. To state that we mistreated your reel is incorrect. We handle every reel as if it were a Monoblock. Be it a Quantum PT or a Megabass Monoblock, all reels are handled with the same care. A soft mat is used under the reels during break down and assembly, soft cloth lined boxes to store them, and paper towels to dry everything.

Kao Lee, I am sorry you feel as if you were wronged, but I have tried to make this right from the first time you expressed displeasure with the work performed, including eating the part and shipping from Japan.

-Bryan Lambert

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:17 am

Thank you for your reply Bryan. I appreciate it.

The work performed was fine, aside from the marks and the gouge on the nut. I understand there are tons of other customers who send their reels in for service. That is why when given a 2-week turnaround time, I assume tack on another couple weeks for delivery and whatever situation that might come up, a month is totally a reasonable time.

The scuff marks on the outside were there when I received the reel back the first time. As stated in my email to you after I received the reel, I never removed the spool therefore I never saw the marks on the inside. I never removed the spool because I knew it could come down to this situation right here. So, I left it intact. I took the reel out of the box, took pictures of the black marks on the outside, took a video of the rattling noise and it was packaged right back up and sent. The black marks on the inside were noticed when I received the reel back the second time.

The part that had to be ordered from Japan. Understandable. It's a JDM reel. Parts have to come from Japan. When the part did not arrive upon the expected date, a simple email stating so would have gone a long way. Just as you stated, the part has to come from Japan and it will take longer than expected. Perfectly acceptable. As a customer, when I am told a date, I'm expecting that date. If it doesn't happen by that date, then an email stating a new expected date doesn't hurt.

I am also not sure about the email situation. I received most of the replies from you no problem. I didn't receive the ones I felt were the more important ones. It's not a problem on the receiving end. This might be a good opportunity to investigate why some of your outgoing mail isn't being sent so it doesn't happen again to another customer.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:42 am

The boys over there are top notch, and I know Bryan gets swamped with work and its hard to keep track of everything. I run a very busy automotive shop, and sometimes forget about parts that were supposed to be here, and they dont show up on time. Customers tell me all the time to call them later and let them know if the car will be done at the given time I expect it to be, and I always tell them its better they call me for an update around that time because I will forget (and I tell them I will, because...well...I will. :lol: )

I had an instance where I had ordered a rod from them, and the shipping company had damaged the tube, but the rod looked fine. I immediately called them to ask for their opinion. Brian told me to just refuse the rod, and he will send me another one. The next day I got another rod.

There are always gonna be mix ups in business, especially one where you got one guy that is always busy. Im shocked he even had enough time to type out that response. :lol: They will always try and do the right thing, but can not satisfy every taste bud. As the ole saying goes, you get more with honey than if you start tossing chit.
<")))><{

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 pm

I work on reels , I can tell you those scuffs were done by a amateur. Like Bryan said , somebody beat that reel up with a pair of pliers. That's not gonna happen with somebody that works on reels everyday.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:44 am

I am sorry about your experience. A few months ago I sent a few reels to Bryan at the TackleTrap to service for me including some JDM reels. In our email exchanges he was always prompt to reply (within a day or less) and answered all my questions and concerns. Mainly that he was familiar with the reels I was sending in and that the reels would be handled in a way that they would not come back with signs of wear or mishandling like I had from a previous reel tech with a website and such. Bryan confirmed everything is treated like a museum piece and like his own. I got the reels sent off to him and I had them back in a few weeks. I checked over every reel and inspected them when I got them back. Not a mark on any of them and inside they were everything I hoped for. Great casting and smooth. My first transaction with PikeRoadReelService was great and I will gladly be sending a few more reels Bryans way as I need them serviced. =D>

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:57 pm

I'm very surprised reading this as my experiences with Bryan servicing one of my reels and answering questions about others and numerous transactions with Gary, have all been outstanding. I won't hesitate to do business with both in the hopefully near future. Dan

Ufcbassr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ufcbassr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 pm

After seeing this I won't send my reels to Tackle Trap.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Ufcbassr wrote:After seeing this I won't send my reels to Tackle Trap.

I'm sure they will be devastated to hear this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 pm

I have never sent a reel into be serviced by the Tackle Trap but I have heard wonderful things about Bryan and his reel tuning . Their service is top notch and this is not normal to hear about this type of situation from them. Sorry to hear about your reel , I'm sure it will be handled by them very professionally .

Love the Tackle Trap !!

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:26 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:There are always gonna be mix ups in business, especially one where you got one guy that is always busy. Im shocked he even had enough time to type out that response. :lol: They will always try and do the right thing, but can not satisfy every taste bud. As the ole saying goes, you get more with honey than if you start tossing chit.
Absolutely!

I cant stand it when i see threads like this. Airing your grievances with someone or business is never good thing.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:26 pm

We see complaints about service on TT ever now and again and don't have a problem with them. I look at my experiences with the vendor and past post about the vendor. I highly comment TTT based on this.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Zimbass wrote:
Ufcbassr wrote:After seeing this I won't send my reels to Tackle Trap.

I'm sure they will be devastated to hear this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:42 pm

I've never worked directly with Bryan, because every reel of mine he has worked on or is currently working on was arranged by Gary. But I will say, his work is nothing short of incredible in my opinion. Every single thing I have had him do from just swapping a handle to full on supertunes have been flawless. I have trusted him with with many of my reels including a mint TD-Z, Monoblock Ito Gambler, NIB Zonda Green Illusion, Metallic Black Personal Order, Steez SV TW, and he's currently working on my NIB 09 Aldebaran MG7, & NIB TD-Ito. And I'm sure those won't be the last reels of mine he works on! All of the guys at Tackle Trap are stand up guys and every single interaction I have had with them has been nothing short of first class. I'm a customer for life.