Steez Rattling

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez Rattling

Post by Tony9 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:00 pm

I just picked up my first OG Steez used. It cranks smooth and no weird noises. Today I took it apart to relube the gears and check the internals and after I put it together I noticed the gear side plate under the drag star is kind of loose and rattles. It is secured under the handle sideplate with 4 tabs but there is play in it. It doesn't seem normal. I don't remember it being like this when I first received the reel. Perhaps I didn't put it together correctly? Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez Rattling

Post by cortman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:07 pm

That piece is just pressed into the side plate, isn't it? Maybe a dab of superglue on the inside of the sideplate at each tab and hold it tight together until it sets?

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 pm

cortman wrote:That piece is just pressed into the side plate, isn't it? Maybe a dab of superglue on the inside of the sideplate at each tab and hold it tight together until it sets?
Yes it looks like it's pressed in and held with tabs. I was thinking the same with superglue or epoxy but wanted to see everyone's thoughts first. Thanks.

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:34 pm

If you remove the sideplate, use a small screwdriver to press the tabs against the frame. That should tighten it without having to glue it.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 am

DanD wrote:If you remove the sideplate, use a small screwdriver to press the tabs against the frame. That should tighten it without having to glue it.
I'll try that when I get the chance to open it up again. Thanks!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 am

DanD wrote:If you remove the sideplate, use a small screwdriver to press the tabs against the frame. That should tighten it without having to glue it.
This is a simple fix that I had to do to one of my Fuego's about a decade ago.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 am

instead of glue....use grease. as long as it stays down it will keep it from chattering often keeping parts like that in place

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:46 am

I opened up the Steez and was able to bend the tabs to the frame. Worked like a charm. No more rattling. Thanks everyone!