What Tool set is everyone using for reel maintenance?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What Tool set is everyone using for reel maintenance?

Post by chreim20 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Looking to buy a quality tool set for working on my reels. The one I have right now is okay, but I'd like to have a better quality set. What are you guys using or any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: What Tool set is everyone using for reel maintenance?

Post by Teal101 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Hedgehog bearing remover, Wiha Drivers, tweezers, and a RCS handle nut wrench.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Wiha 26199 driver set, SLP Works spool bearing remover II, HH bearing tool, 8 and 10mm socket, wife's eye brow teezers, ulrasonic cleaner and various microfiber towels and containers.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Wihas are good, I have Bahco which are also great in my mind. HHS bearing removal tool, tweezers set from Amazon, X-acto knife, cheap Stanley adjustable wrench, pair of needle-nose pliers. And an ultrasonic cleaner- those things are fantastic!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Very early on in the piece, I tried looking around for "proper" servicing tools... Go to any in shop reel service cave and you'll mainly see tools dragged out of a steel tool box. The local store I see often tools I wouldn't even carry within my property boundaries - proper shagged and abused tools all proper f***ed and they service customer reels with those...

Well after amounting stuff I honestly can't say that buying the best of anything really amounts to a awesome job, the tools user is what amounts to any outcome and any tool when used properly and within reason will do that job set out and will last X time; look after those tools and they'll look after you and the next job.

So what I've amounted is such, and not limited to - there is stuff I've most likely forgotten about...

14+ different screw drivers (tip profiles and shaft lengths) - all vanadium tipped for the hard work, the others for more precise work some down to 0000 Phillips drive.
A very handy screw driver bit holder and Kinchrome security bit set (for those bastard reels with Torx drive screws), for those manufacturers that think it's necessary :lol: :roll:
Punches of varying sizes
Kinchrome pick set,
Leverage blade set - widget tool
4" Fuller (Japanese wrench)
Stainless steel & nylon pallet knives
Stanley micro socket set
Through shank / bolt mini socket set
Japanese sewing needles!!!
Handle knob garnish plug remover
Mini handle bearing pick
Mini jewellers hammer (brass & nylon ended)
Clover bent tip tweezers (invaluable investment!)
Swear jar (mainly for parts suppliers)
Neodymium magnet (for testing metals - and laughing at some)
Bent, straight and flat nickel chrome vanadium pliers
Magnifying glass
HH spool bearing pin remover (on its last legs finally - POS)
Dremel 3000 - with all the cool kids bits
Mini propane blow torch
Digital vernier callipers
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for corresponding, ordering parts, forums and absolutely loaded with schematics.

Stainless steel micro mesh baskets for parts washing, including a pigs hair brush which has been employed for the last 5 years cleaning reels faithfully.
With a ultra sonic cleaner I used to use a lot of but found elbow grease more reliable and detailed - than having good parts jostling around and cavitation at work.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:52 pm

You guys are awesome, thanks for the information, it has helped so much! I'll report back on what I decided to get. Thanks again! If anyone else wants to chime in, please do so!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:32 am

Teal101 wrote:Hedgehog bearing remover, Wiha Drivers, tweezers, and a RCS handle nut wrench.
X2 except various other wrenches (from shimano and abu etc)

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:35 am

Oh - and optional - also consider a camera and video recorder if you have not opened the reel before. And a see-through plastic bag in which to hold the reel when removing c-rings (if you do not have spares).

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:05 am

This fluorescent magnifying lamp from Harbor Freight is a steal @ $40. Mine is about 5 years old now and has performed flawlessly, still has the original bulb in it. Every workbench should have one.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Teal101 wrote:Hedgehog bearing remover, Wiha Drivers, tweezers, and a RCS handle nut wrench.
X2!!

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 pm

So where is everyone getting their RCS handle nut wrench? Can someone post a pic or a link? Thanks.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 pm

cadman wrote:So where is everyone getting their RCS handle nut wrench? Can someone post a pic or a link? Thanks.
That kind of a tool is called a nut runner, but with a deeper socket, because a lot of handle nuts have finished ends that you have to get past to engage the hex portion. Figure out which size you need by trying different ratchet sockets on the handle nut, and then find them online.
I use a deep socket on a square drive socket driver from an old ratchet set I have owned for years. If the socket is too deep, just wad up some masking tape, and fill the bottom of the socket, so the nut protrudes slightly from the socket, and it won't fall out as easily.
I really like how it makes aligning and starting the handle nuts so much easier.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:06 pm

If you don't want to risk marring the finish on the nut, use a 1 mm larger socket (if the nut requires a 10 mm, use an 11 mm) and use a glasses cleaning cloth or painters tape over the nut to take up the difference.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:15 pm

cadman wrote:So where is everyone getting their RCS handle nut wrench? Can someone post a pic or a link? Thanks.
They come with new RCS handles.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:17 pm

uljersey wrote:If you don't want to risk marring the finish on the nut, use a 1 mm larger socket (if the nut requires a 10 mm, use an 11 mm) and use a glasses cleaning cloth or painters tape over the nut to take up the difference.
Smart idea!