Daiwa 34mm deep spool with a shallow inductor?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa 34mm deep spool with a shallow inductor?

Post by Houndfish » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:07 am

Hi,

I recently bought a Ringa SSS that has been converted to use 34mm Steeze spools. It came with an RCS 1012SV spool installed. My grand plan was to swap the 1012sv into a SV103 reel and take the stock spool from the SV103 and put it in the Ringa.

The issue I have hit is while the sv103 spool will fit in the Ringa, the inductor is far far longer then the one on the 1012sv spool and it prevents the spool from spinning freely.

Can anyone recommend a deep-ish 34mm spool with a short inductor? I want to use the Ringa for 1-3oz swimbaits/topwaters/wakes. I don't need a ton of line as I will be fishing small water and casting close to cover, but something that will hold 40-50y of 20-25lb mono or 50-60lb braid will be find.

Thanks

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa 34mm deep spool with a shallow inductor?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 am

Slp Rcs 1000 Deep (Orange) . Also the G1 1016 spool from a Steez SV TW. I believe you can also swap parts between spools, however performance would be guess work unless you find someone else who has done the same mod.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:28 am

As Mark recommended, the SV1000 Deep spool is the best option SV wise. As for other spools, the RCS1016 spool we sell should work flawlessly in that reel, or even the new ZPI PG spool.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 am

I had looked at the RCS1000, but the reel already has some purple parts and the rod I am eyeing has purple highlights and I am sad to say I think I am starting to care about that ;) But if it is the best choice I can get over it and just replace the purple parts.

I have not heard much about the RCS1016 other then it can be a little wild in some reels. As I am using this for heavier lures, does anyone know how it would work in a modified Ringa? I was excited to find a use for the stock sv103 spool, as it is too restricted for my taste in the sv103, but I thought it would be perfect for a big bait application.

I also suppose I could just track down the OG gearing and spool for the Ringa and reinstall them. I would not mind going back to the slower gearing.

EDIT: I jsut found this, the spool from the Steez A TW;
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/3764
It's got the capacity I am looking for and the inductor looks to be short enough. Does anyone have experience with it?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:19 am

Last evening I pulled the spool out of a Zillion TWS SV, spooled it with 25lb mono, and stuck it in the Ringa. On my current "swimbait" rod it was throwing a 1.5oz Storm shad around like a champ. With the breaks at half the reel is really east to control and the shape of it lets me get firm thumb pressure on the spool to control the cast, something that I struggled with when using the aforementioned Zillion for the same role.

I think I have convinced myself I don't need a deep spool for this application. The Zillion TWS SV spool, though shallow-ish, holds enough 25lb mono for my needs, I don't see myself making monster long casts with the big baits I want to use, so I think I am going to just keep using the Zillion SV spool until TT gets them back in stock, then I can pick one up to dedicate to the Ringa and sell the Zillion SV reel.

As an aside, I threw the RCS 1012SV spool into my SV103 and oh man, the difference between it and the stock spool is night and day. It was like every lure I tired cast as well on the 1012 as a lipless crank did on the stock spool. Everything is more effortless to cast, which makes short target casts and pitches a ton better. I was pitching a jig at the end of a dock that I normally struggle to accurately reach, with the 1012 my jig went sailing right under with so much less force, it was nuts. The spool is pretty wild compared to stock, but a little tightening of the tension knob calmed it down and I am sure as I get used to it I can back it off again.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 pm

1012SV is the s#it

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:34 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:1012SV is the s#it
Yes, it is really impressive so far. I feel like I am going to start heading down the road of spool inductor tinkering, now that I see what a huge change swapping spools can cause it's going to be hard to stop. I have a pair of SV105s that I use on a CR721 and a CR723, I would love to free up the spool for the 1 power rod and reign it in a little on the 3 power.