Drive and pinion gear rough under load ...is there a way to RESTORE?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
r61
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Drive and pinion gear rough under load ...is there a way to RESTORE?

Post by r61 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:48 am

Hello,

I think I know the answer....but brass gears , is there anything you can do to make them smooth again aside from clean and relube

Thanks everyone

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Drive and pinion gear rough under load ...is there a way to RESTORE?

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:20 am

Some times it's not the gears. Could be the ar clutch and sleeve...could be the handle shaft bearing....could even be the handle bearings or bushings that make it feel like it's coming from the gears.
can also be debris in the worm where it meets the bushings or bearings on either side.
I often find that the case with saltwater reels

r61
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by r61 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:31 am

I agree , but in this case I swapped the gears out from another reel and vice versa, it's totally the gears even though they look mint...

Thanks for the response though that is useful information.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:49 am

Yeah I had a reel that became very geary/noisy from using the reel to free snags with 30 pound braid :oops: :doh: Sent it to a "pro reel cleaner" with note saying to clean it and put new gears in if needed. Got the reel back still geary/noisy plus not completely put back together missing a clip. So bought clip from hobbyshop I bought the gear set from The Tackle Trap replaced them myself now smooth/silent as day one :big grin:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:56 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Yeah I had a reel that became very geary/noisy from using the reel to free snags with 30 pound braid :oops: :doh:
Stretching metals...

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnredd11 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:21 pm

I used a spray lubricant calld solid film. I forms a graphite looking layer and it helped a little. Reel was a okuma komodo. The smaller sized one. I sprayed main and pinon gear teeth faces. Prep work is key to durability with that stuff

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Running tungsten and MOS2 over them and annealing it into the gear face will help but if you've deformed the metal bad enough its over.

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnredd11 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:13 am

I am a aircraft mechanic and we use the solid film i mentioned on the parts that attach main rotor blades to the aircraft. We use it to prevent wear on the parts. All of the wear is subjected to the solid film not the steel. The parts are subjected to massive amounts of stress and load. I used it to take up the gear slop in my reel. Its helped some but it wasnt the smothest reel ever in the first place

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Johnredd11 wrote:I used a spray lubricant calld solid film. I forms a graphite looking layer and it helped a little. Reel was a okuma komodo. The smaller sized one. I sprayed main and pinon gear teeth faces. Prep work is key to durability with that stuff
I have several reels for which the gears are no longer made, so I'm really interested in preserving their gears, and, hopefully, restoring some of the rough ones.
Where can I find solid film, and what is the prep work that's involved?

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnredd11 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:37 pm

I get mine from work but if you google solid film lubricant it is a white can with the name brand of sandstrom. Just make sure all parts are extremly clean. Do not touch the parts with your hands after you clean them. The can has to be shook very very well. After every pass of the film make sure to shake the can. If you dont the stuff that comes out will make it not adhear very well. After the parts are done drying you can test to make sure they adhered well by trying to scrub them off with a soft brush and alcohol. Ive only done one gearset with it so far so im not sure as to the durability of it yet. I hope to take the reel out this weekend and slow roll some big spinnerbaits so after that i will take apart the reel and see how it held up and i will let you know.

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnredd11 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:40 pm

I used simple green and a non lint cloth to clean and dry the parts. I also dryed the gears in a hotbox (not required but i didnt have 12 hours to spare).

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Johnredd11 wrote:I get mine from work but if you google solid film lubricant it is a white can with the name brand of sandstrom. Just make sure all parts are extremly clean. Do not touch the parts with your hands after you clean them. The can has to be shook very very well. After every pass of the film make sure to shake the can. If you dont the stuff that comes out will make it not adhear very well. After the parts are done drying you can test to make sure they adhered well by trying to scrub them off with a soft brush and alcohol. Ive only done one gearset with it so far so im not sure as to the durability of it yet. I hope to take the reel out this weekend and slow roll some big spinnerbaits so after that i will take apart the reel and see how it held up and i will let you know.
Thanks for the info. I look forward to your report after you've fished that reel.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:49 am

May be a basic idea, Shimano recommends their ACT 2/drag grease on gears that have worn to smooth them out. Especially micro gears.

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnredd11 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Im happy to say that the solid film has held up well. I just wish i had paid as much attention when i sprayed my main gear as when i had sprayed my pinion gear( i did the pinion four times because i wasnt happy with it). I didnt shake it as much when i sprayed my main gear and it shows. Not much but you can tell. But my pinion gear looks great. It is now a glossy gray color exactly like it should be. I have no doubt that it will be a long time before i have to touch up my pinion gear but i will probly redo the main gear and make sure the spray mixes well( the stuff settles in the can very fast). If i was smart enough to post a picture i would show you. It makes your gears look like a glossy graphite color after the film is smoothed down.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Johnredd11 wrote:Im happy to say that the solid film has held up well. I just wish i had paid as much attention when i sprayed my main gear as when i had sprayed my pinion gear( i did the pinion four times because i wasnt happy with it). I didnt shake it as much when i sprayed my main gear and it shows. Not much but you can tell. But my pinion gear looks great. It is now a glossy gray color exactly like it should be. I have no doubt that it will be a long time before i have to touch up my pinion gear but i will probly redo the main gear and make sure the spray mixes well( the stuff settles in the can very fast). If i was smart enough to post a picture i would show you. It makes your gears look like a glossy graphite color after the film is smoothed down.
Did the gear feel smoother when you were cranking the spinnerbait back?
Did you notice any wear at all?
Do you use gear grease as well, or just the solid film alone?
So many questions, so little time! ;)