Alphabrake - New Kind of Braking?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Alphabrake - New Kind of Braking?

Post by surge » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Now that the zero bearings buzz has quieted down, it seems that from the country of the legendary Ambassadeurs there is a new kind of braking on the way.

It's called the Alphabrake and the idea is to emit braking force only when the bait is not pulling the line. And there's no DC - it's purely mechanical. The prototype reel is called Genesis and will be presented at the fishing tackle show in Sweden in a week.

It's being developed by a company of father and son called Svivlo and they have a few short videos on FB and YouTube as well.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alphabrake - New Kind of Braking?

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:35 pm

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Will be made in China by an OEM company that makes your crappy Piscifun and the rest. Even if the braking system is good (and that's a bit IF), its still gonna have Chinese tolerances, paint job and feel. So unless its made by Daiwa/Shimano and Abu to a lesser extent, there's no hope.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:31 pm

SSS wrote:Will be made in China by an OEM company that makes your crappy Piscifun and the rest. Even if the braking system is good (and that's a bit IF), its still gonna have Chinese tolerances, paint job and feel. So unless its made by Daiwa/Shimano and Abu to a lesser extent, there's no hope.
I am not a big fan of hype, have never been on the hooray for Concept Z wagon, and will certainly not say hooray for alphabrake (yet). But I also think that it is premature to say that a Swedish engineered product, which await an early life on Kickstarter, is bound to be a crappy made in China OEM product.
After all, the guy has put the thing in his (by the looks of it) well used Swedish made Ambassadeur.
Let us wait and see.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 pm

I don't think I can take this many revolutionary revolutions in such a short period of time.
First the super bushings......and now a backlash free reel......what's next
Taking Big ball bearings and putting bushings in em....hey wait..we can call them Ball bushingZ :) ( i call dibs on that revolution)

Their big claim is no backlashses.....

have they been fishing under a rock the past decade? Pretty much every reel out there can be cast thumb free.....It all depends on the brake setting.

Weird one piece chin design.......guessing its all plastic as otherwise it's be $$$$$...and it has those awfully cheezy Chinese manufactured oem knobs you can buy on ebay for next to nothin.

http://www.fiskejournalen.se/wp-content ... ivlo-2.jpg
http://www.fiskejournalen.se/wp-content ... vivlo2.jpg

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm

I don't think that frame material and cost of knobs are important for a prototype. I wouldn't use expensive materials and Livre handle either just to test and show a new braking concept.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:55 am

Isn't Abu the one that had the round reel with the flippy flapper thingy a decade or more ago that was supposed to be backlash proof? It was somewhat backlash proof, trouble was it wouldn't cast very far at all. I think it lasted a year or so.......

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by diehardbassfishing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:59 am

Yea, Abu produced an anti-backlash reel. Designated as 5600AB. The fishing line was threaded through a spring loaded leaver (flap). When line went slack during cast (backlash potential) the released load on the line would allow the leaver to raise, applying a friction brake to the spool. It was a market failure. Even if the system worked well, this "outboard" form of cast control wouldn't be accepted well by the market.

If this new "inboard" (proper) anti-backlash system works as advertised, it could be very successful. Will be interesting to see how far this goes. Will any major manufacturers actually employ a 3rd party device into their reels? If not, maybe a reel company that isn't one of the top 3 selling manufactures, will buy in and boost their business!

"I'll give up my Magforce when you pry it from my wet, fish smelling hands"

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:05 pm

I wish them well. If it is a great idea, hooray for them. If not, at least they gave it a shot.

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by diehardbassfishing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:52 pm

I think it's fantastic!

My quote with "pry Magforce out of my hands" is intended for laughs. But I do appreciate and use this magnetic system to the max. I also have DC reels, and have enjoyed learning about and casting with this type of control.

I'm anxious to see how this new design unfolds into a product, and see for myself how it works.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 pm

diehardbassfishing wrote:I think it's fantastic!

My quote with "pry Magforce out of my hands" is intended for laughs. But I do appreciate and use this magnetic system to the max. I also have DC reels, and have enjoyed learning about and casting with this type of control.

I'm anxious to see how this new design unfolds into a product, and see for myself how it works.
That is a funny line. :lol:

I'm probably too old to learn not to use my thumb, but I am fascinated by new ideas, so I agree, let's see how this new design unfolds.

diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by diehardbassfishing » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 am

Translated Swedish article on Alphabrake:

"My father is a watchmaker, and with his knowledge of motion and fine mechanics, he managed to come up with a sensible solution that we are really pleased with and that became the foundation of our throwing brake Alphabrake. In the simplest form it consists only of a moving part and the brake is activated only when the pull ends pulling the line. It gives longer rolling, significantly better control and, in addition, reduces the risk of lint racking, "says Patrik."

"Patrik and some of the experts who help with the development of the new spider roll you can meet at the Sportfiskemässan in Stockholm, 16-18 March. In addition, Svivlo will run a number of test days in the spring to get feedback from other anglers."

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 am

diehardbassfishing wrote:Translated Swedish article on Alphabrake:

"My father is a watchmaker, and with his knowledge of motion and fine mechanics, he managed to come up with a sensible solution that we are really pleased with and that became the foundation of our throwing brake Alphabrake. In the simplest form it consists only of a moving part and the brake is activated only when the pull ends pulling the line. It gives longer rolling, significantly better control and, in addition, reduces the risk of lint racking, "says Patrik."

"Patrik and some of the experts who help with the development of the new spider roll you can meet at the Sportfiskemässan in Stockholm, 16-18 March. In addition, Svivlo will run a number of test days in the spring to get feedback from other anglers."
A new reel & brake system designed by a watchmaker...
I must admit, I do like the sound of that. I'm now officially intrigued :-k
If his background is watchmaking, for me atleast, that gives it more credibility.

I do echo the reservations expressed by others about it being made in China. That would likely be a deal breaker for me. However if these are hand made in Sweden, by a watchmaker... where do I sign up? :D

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 am

Perhaps some of the reel techs on here(Ian, pikeroad, scoobydoo, etc) and more technically inclined guys could reach out to him and offer help or feedback. I'm sure he'd really appreciate that.
Id like to think that we as fishing/reel junkies would rally around someone like this.
Who knows, with the right feedback & encouragement he could be the next Robert Koelewyn/Van Staal.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:03 pm

My guess is that it this system is like a reverse centrifugal brake. When the spool isn't spinning fast there is tension on the spool or brake area. When the spool starts to spin, the pins fly out and AREN'T touching the brake raceway and this let's a free cast fly. Then as the spool slows and the lure stops pulling out line the pins retract and start making friction again, thereby slowing the spool and preventing a backlash.

I got bored and drew something up like that one time, I always try and invent something in the hopes that it would get me a job with a company or put me in a much better financial situation. My idea had a brake that hit on both sides of the pins, to keep the spool from going too fast or too slow though.