Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Post by ShimanoFan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:04 pm

I see now where this thread came from... the hedgehog website where I find this:

Very useful to check and clean bearings completely!

Length : 82mm
Compatible inner diameter of bearing : 3mm・4mm・5mm・6mm・7mm

Bearing Check Tool
You can check the roughness and noise of bearing inside precisely by putting a bearing on the Bearing Check Tool and turning it round with a finger.
Although tweezers could be the substitute, accurate check may not be done by them because bearing may be distorted if it is put through tweezers.
Using the special "Check Tool" is much more reliable.

Bearing Check Tool
Roughness and noise indicate that the bearing has got some dust inside.
We recommend that you clean bearings by using a spray cleaner.
With the Bearing Check Tool, you can clean bearings very quickly and compleately because you can spray with a cleaner as making bearings get high speed rotation.

----------------------------

Hedgehog recommends spray! Go figure. Looks like to me they are recommending spray because that is what is needed to use to this tool and sell this tool. Soaking in a jar, and using a dental pick with air pressure won't sell this tool.

I use a dental pick for most baitcast reel bearings. They say tweezers is a substitute. I never used those either.

And then there is this "pro" model.

"Compatible inner diameter of bearing : 2mm・3mm・4mm・5mm・6mm・7mm・8mm・9mm "

Pro huh? Never seen one of these before either, but I kind of like it. However I just checked our shop's growing bearing cross reference list, and we need from 2mm to 13mm ID, not 9mm. We repair big reels with big bearings. Huge saltwater reels. So this tool won't cut it for those reels.

I use something different and a lot cheaper to purchase at skycraft a local store 15 minutes away, not Japan.

I also think it is funny as hell what they say about a rough noisy bearing above...

"Roughness and noise indicate that the bearing has got some dust inside."

LMAO! Those Japanese need to visit Florida sometime! Dust? Try rusted to a halt. Try sand. Try salt. Those are our usual culprits.

Dust is what makes a bearing rough and noisy? Funny as hell! And I am still trying to understand how some tweezers can distort bearings???

Bottom line, I had better stay off the hedgehog website.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:21 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:I see now where this thread came from... the hedgehog website where I find this..
From the original author (me) and from my original post, I am taking Karil's (K.T.F, Yukihiro Sawamur's) advice on how to clean and prepare a new bearing or a slightly used one.
He's kind of a big deal in the real tuning world...but we appriciate your insight.
I did buy one of those bearing holders, works like a charm.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
From the original author (me) and from my original post, I am taking Karil's (K.T.F, Yukihiro Sawamur's) advice on how to clean and prepare a new bearing or a slightly used one.
He's kind of a big deal in the real tuning world...but we appriciate your insight.
I did buy one of those bearing holders, works like a charm.
Also
The person widely considered to be the best reel tuner in the country(USA) recommends acetone, Ill take his recommendation.

The spray can and the RPM device is for a quick flush not a deep cleaning. An acetone soak and US cleaner is for that purpose.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:49 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:

The spray can and the RPM device is for a quick flush not a deep cleaning. An acetone soak and US cleaner is for that purpose.
I actually called around town to some RC shops for the RPM Device, no one had it available. It looks like a good system to use.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:23 pm

Here http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/tools ... g-blaster/

EBAY https://www.ebay.com/itm/RPM-R-C-Produc ... 1#viTabs_0

HobbyTown https://www.hobbytown.com/rpm-bearing-b ... 1170/p4502

If you have HobbyTown they should be able to order one for you.
Its rated 3mm to 19mm.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:06 am

ShimanoFan wrote:I see now where this thread came from... the hedgehog website where I find this:

Bearing Check Tool
You can check the roughness and noise of bearing inside precisely by putting a bearing on the Bearing Check Tool and turning it round with a finger.
Although tweezers could be the substitute, accurate check may not be done by them because bearing may be distorted if it is put through tweezers.

Bearing Check Tool
With the Bearing Check Tool, you can clean bearings very quickly and compleately because you can spray with a cleaner as making bearings get high speed rotation.

Hedgehog recommends spray! Go figure. Looks like to me they are recommending spray because that is what is needed to use to this tool and sell this tool. Soaking in a jar, and using a dental pick with air pressure won't sell this tool.

I use a dental pick for most baitcast reel bearings. They say tweezers is a substitute. I never used those either.

Pro huh? Never seen one of these before either, but I kind of like it. However I just checked our shop's growing bearing cross reference list, and we need from 2mm to 13mm ID, not 9mm. We repair big reels with big bearings. Huge saltwater reels. So this tool won't cut it for those reels.

I use something different and a lot cheaper to purchase at skycraft a local store 15 minutes away, not Japan.

I also think it is funny as hell what they say about a rough noisy bearing above...

LMAO! Those Japanese need to visit Florida sometime! Dust? Try rusted to a halt. Try sand. Try salt. Those are our usual culprits.

Dust is what makes a bearing rough and noisy? Funny as hell! And I am still trying to understand how some tweezers can distort bearings???

You seem to be forgetting that this is not a "mom and pops" repair the local "whatever" website. :lol: These are real tuners, real enthusiasts, hard core modifiers. You are like a kid with a Honda Civic going to a car meet full of old big block muscle cars. Its a different world here, and to most people that either repair or tune their own reels, or the people that are able to bypass all the "crap" that people have destroyed, and focus on working on quality stuff. Im just saying. And yes, I have the Hedgehog bearing tool, and it works wonderfully. Its a good staple in my assortment of "tools" that I use to clean/tune/modify many of peoples reels.
<")))><{

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:17 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
ShimanoFan wrote:I see now where this thread came from... the hedgehog website where I find this:

Bearing Check Tool

Bearing Check Tool

You seem to be forgetting that this is not a "mom and pops" repair the local "whatever" website. :lol: These are real tuners, real enthusiasts, hard core modifiers. You are like a kid with a Honda Civic going to a car meet full of old big block muscle cars. Its a different world here, and to most people that either repair or tune their own reels, or the people that are able to bypass all the "crap" that people have destroyed, and focus on working on quality stuff. Im just saying. And yes, I have the Hedgehog bearing tool, and it works wonderfully. Its a good staple in my assortment of "tools" that I use to clean/tune/modify many of peoples reels.
Leave it to the guy with the LgMouth to state it in such an eloquently meaningful fashion. =D>

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:00 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

Bearing Check Tool

Bearing Check Tool

Leave it to the guy with the LgMouth to state it in such an eloquently meaningful fashion. =D>
Hey, I just tell it like it is. If they cant handle it, well...so be it. :lol:
<")))><{

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
The HawgTech ceramic hybrids use a nylon cage.
Thank you for the info, I’ll add them to my list. Really handy to have info like this when working on reels.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:54 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Your colorful description is funny as hell! :lol:

We love muscle car "forum reels". Its all we've been repairing lately. A half dozen in the last 2 days.

Here is one... and this guy actually admitted to us he got his DIY at home on the kitchen table advice from an online forum!

Take a look at this muscle car:

Time to whip out the acetone spray and go to town on this one! It might take a couple of cans to get this clean!

The kitchen table DIY'r took the reel all apart and shoved as much red grease into the AR bearing he could shove in there. Never mind it says right on the bearing from Shimano "NO GREASE" that he covered over with grease!

The Shimano bearing clearly is marked right on top in huge capital letters NO GREASE! And yet this bearing was glued up with it shoved in there. He might as well have shoved bubble gum in there. Same results.

But he read about how to do this online. Everyone else is doing it in muscle car forums! Major fail at home. So off to the shops they send them one after another...

He used so much grease and oil it was oozing out of the reel. Sound familiar?

This is the result of some online forum suggestions and advice- but not from this site for this particular fail.

My purpose for posting anything on a forum like this one is help prevent nonsense like this and save some the trouble and expense. And I have saved a few from making mistakes like this one. Even the OP actually considered what was said and avoided acetone. Score another one for those of us trying to offer positive contributions to forums with only one purpose to help.

Avoiding costly mistakes is my only motivation to posting.

So if any of you go back up to the top here to my first comment in this thread it is clearly written to help someone avoid a mistake, and they did, so I am glad. I then took it further into issues that others should be concerned about as well. I wish he had avoided the spray all together, but if my posts can maybe prevent others from following forum suggestions that can possibly go wrong, then I am satisfied.

But hey, we do greatly appreciate all the "forum reels" we service daily! So thanks!

BTW, I drive a Shimano Toyota! Not a GlobeRide Honda!

I keep my comments focused on rods and reels, not other members.

Only here to help. Not bash others.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:03 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:Even the OP actually considered what was said and avoided acetone. Score another one for those of us trying to offer positive contributions to forums with only one purpose to help.
OP here. Just for the record, I never considered using acetone, I never mentioned the word acetone. I was looking for an aerosal similar to WAKOS..just sayin'

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 pm

That's cool. I was hoping you would avoid spray all together.

I hope my suggestion to avoid acetone is read by a wider audience. This forum has nearly 12,000 members and a person does not have to be a member here to read posts and comments, so what is posted here affects people and reels far beyond this website and forum.

Just trying to offer good suggestions is all. Glad you avoided acetone for whatever reason.

I hope next time you will try avoiding the spray.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Acetone doesn't destroy all plastics. Acetone is even stored in some plastic containers. My ZPI bearings have been soaked in acetone for 10 hours straight at times the cages aren't effected. They get soaked 2-3 times a year no issues. I am not a lucky person far from it. Its not been luck that my ZPI's are still in good shape its that acetone doesn't harm them.
It's the same as people saying zman trds can't be dipped in jj's magic. I bet they haven't tried.
Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 pm

As I said... Russian Roulette! Hit or miss. Take your chance!

Thousands do!

https://education.seattlepi.com/effects ... -3771.html

Effects of Acetone on Plastic

Acetone, a powerful solvent, can dissolve not only fingernail polish, but some plastics.

Written by Vincent Summers

Acetone, also called dimethylketone or propanone, chemical formula (CH₃)₂C=O, is a commonly used, relatively inexpensive solvent. A solvent is a medium not intended to react with a chemical, but to dissolve it so that the dissolved chemical -- the solute -- can be put to some practical use. Solvents often come into contact with plastics. How a plastic interacts with a solvent is a matter of serious concern. Damage needs to be avoided.

There are all kinds of plastics. If a particular plastic bears a close enough similarity to acetone, the acetone will dissolve or at least affect its surface, softening, smearing or even dissolving the plastic. Other plastics, dissimilar to acetone, will remain unaffected by the solvent. One challenge in choice of solvent is when a substance needs dissolving off a plastic surface."

Why take the chance if it is easily avoidable? Simple logic really.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:35 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Your colorful description is funny as hell! :lol:

We love muscle car "forum reels". Its all we've been repairing lately. A half dozen in the last 2 days.

Here is one... and this guy actually admitted to us he got his DIY at home on the kitchen table advice from an online forum!

Take a look at this muscle car:

Time to whip out the acetone spray and go to town on this one! It might take a couple of cans to get this clean!

The kitchen table DIY'r took the reel all apart and shoved as much red grease into the AR bearing he could shove in there. Never mind it says right on the bearing from Shimano "NO GREASE" that he covered over with grease!

The Shimano bearing clearly is marked right on top in huge capital letters NO GREASE! And yet this bearing was glued up with it shoved in there. He might as well have shoved bubble gum in there. Same results.

But he read about how to do this online. Everyone else is doing it in muscle car forums! Major fail at home. So off to the shops they send them one after another...

He used so much grease and oil it was oozing out of the reel. Sound familiar?

This is the result of some online forum suggestions and advice- but not from this site for this particular fail.

My purpose for posting anything on a forum like this one is help prevent nonsense like this and save some the trouble and expense. And I have saved a few from making mistakes like this one. Even the OP actually considered what was said and avoided acetone. Score another one for those of us trying to offer positive contributions to forums with only one purpose to help.

Avoiding costly mistakes is my only motivation to posting.

So if any of you go back up to the top here to my first comment in this thread it is clearly written to help someone avoid a mistake, and they did, so I am glad. I then took it further into issues that others should be concerned about as well. I wish he had avoided the spray all together, but if my posts can maybe prevent others from following forum suggestions that can possibly go wrong, then I am satisfied.

But hey, we do greatly appreciate all the "forum reels" we service daily! So thanks!

BTW, I drive a Shimano Toyota! Not a GlobeRide Honda!

I keep my comments focused on rods and reels, not other members.

Only here to help. Not bash others.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but probably wont see reels from true "enthusiasts" on here. Thanks for coming to yet another forum to rant about your "warranty shop" and how much better they are than us "kitchen table repair guys". :lol: I hope they pay you for every post you make over here. :doh: You should try Bassresource, they are all just like you over there. :big grin:
<")))><{