Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Post by Cracker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:30 am

Daiwa makes similar product.

Spray for cleaning ball bearings

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Cracker wrote:Daiwa makes similar product.

Spray for cleaning ball bearings

By god the blasphemy for these companies providing Aerosols....

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:46 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:No sir. Not at all. Mineral spirits is my own personal choice for soaking bearings. I use it at home and the shop. And it is not the only product we use for this. We have others... but not acetone.

What Shimano recommended in the email was different, and may surprise you, but if you want that info please contact Shimano for it. It is not a commonly discussed product around here or any forum. I don't think I have ever seen what Shimano said recommended by anyone else anywhere ever. Shimano says one thing, everyone else says something different.

All I was looking for was the answer on acetone use. A yes or, a no.

I took this a step further than Daiwa and Shimano. Lews, Abu, Quantum, Zebco, Penn, Okuma, and several others are being asked the same question so this issue can be settled once and for all time. I don't expect any of the brands to come back to me with an approval for it or, even a recommendation for it. And if this proves to be the case from the major brands, then logically and reasonably it should be considered above and beyond non-brand recommendations found outside of the corporations.

I am also asking this same question from a couple of the large bearing companies as well.

Acetone should be banned in my opinion.

It is not a product "reel experts" should be recommending if the brand who made the reel says no.

Something like this should not even be an issue among forum members.

This discussion should be a benefit to all of us, not a detriment. Surely we all want to use the right products on our investments rather than anything that might cause harm to the products or, our health.
So it's ok for you to use something different from what is recommended but not others. You are the type that it's your way and ban any other way
Gotcha. I'll continue use of acetone and recommend it in every post
that has relevance.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:06 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote: So it's ok for you to use something different from what is recommended but not others. You are the type that it's your way and ban any other way
that has relevance.
That's not what I said. I said I have to use what the shop tells us to that is allowed *AND* recommended by Shimano concerning solvents and lubricants.

What Shimano recommends for you may be different than what Shimano does with shops.

My lubes at home are not banned products like the one you seem to love touting here. I can use various lubes on my own personal reels that don't damage parts or the reels. Acetone is another story.

Here is what Tokugawa said to me:

"What you experienced here was the devotion to technical accuracy that TT holds dear. There is a lot of misinformation, marketing hype and even plain untruths in this industry and we work to counter that. Sometimes too vigorously. Consider that a lot of our members routinely spend $1000 on a rod/reel combo. They deserve the most accurate information possible."

And then there is your response above: " I'll continue use of acetone and recommend it in every post
that has relevance."

And Shimano says no.

So who' side is TT on anyway? I am seeing a conflict of claims and statements not being corrected. Tokugawa should "counter" this type of thing if Shimano says no. No means no.

It is easy to see what side of the aisle you are on. This forum should not be hostile nor combative over rods and reel discussion.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:21 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote: So it's ok for you to use something different from what is recommended but not others. You are the type that it's your way and ban any other way
that has relevance.
That's not what I said. I said I have to use what the shop tells us to that is allowed by Shimano. Concerning solvents and lubricants.

What Shimano recommends for you may be different than what Shimano does with shops.

My lubes at home are not banned products like the one you seem to love touting here. I can use various lubes on my own personal reels that don't damage parts or the reels. Acetone is another story.

Here is what Tokugawa said to me:

"There is a lot of misinformation, marketing hype and even plain untruths in this industry and we work to counter that. Sometimes too vigorously. Consider that a lot of our members routinely spend $1000 on a rod/reel combo. They deserve the most accurate information possible."

And then there is your response above: " I'll continue use of acetone and recommend it in every post
that has relevance."

And Shimano says no.

So who' side is TT on anyway? I am seeing a conflict of claims and statements not being corrected. Tokugawa should "counter" this type of thing if Shimano says no. No means no. And TT should adhere to the brands they support and support what the brands want for their reels. Simple as that. Shame to see things like this allowed to go un-countered by the site admin.

It is easy to see what side of the aisle you are on.
You absolutely stated you use mineral spirits and that is different from what shimano recommends. So you want to use what you chose on your own time but dont want others to have that choice. Acetone is not banned in my house so its use is my choice a very good choice for the purpose.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:26 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote: You absolutely stated you use mineral spirits and that is different from what shimano recommends. So you want to use what you chose on your own time but dont want others to have that choice. Acetone is not banned in my house so its use is my choice a very good choice for the purpose.
Shimano did not recommend a solvent to me. It was an oil.

If you want to use acetone at home that is fine, but why would you recommend a product others might try and wind up ruining parts or, a reel with it? Why would you recommend that? I don't get it.

But hey, that's on you. Not me. I gave it my best shot.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:39 pm

ShimanoFan wrote: I gave it my best shot.
You give up too easily...More Cow Bell next time.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
ShimanoFan wrote: I gave it my best shot.
You give up too easily...More Cow Bell next time.
I'm getting old!

I can't believe I will qualify for some senior citizen discounts next year! Ugh! :crying:

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:17 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote: You absolutely stated you use mineral spirits and that is different from what shimano recommends. So you want to use what you chose on your own time but dont want others to have that choice. Acetone is not banned in my house so its use is my choice a very good choice for the purpose.
Shimano did not recommend a solvent to me. It was an oil.

If you want to use acetone at home that is fine, but why would you recommend a product others might try and wind up ruining parts or, a reel with it? Why would you recommend that? I don't get it.

But hey, that's on you. Not me. I gave it my best shot.
You also discounted others way of cleaning that didnt match the way you clean. Another instance of in your mind your way is the only way to do it.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:22 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:And Shimano says no.

So who' side is TT on anyway? I am seeing a conflict of claims and statements not being corrected. Tokugawa should "counter" this type of thing if Shimano says no. No means no.
A company's recommendation for product X is not the same thing as saying only product X will work. Can we can agree on this, bearing in mind that you use a variety of lubricants and solvents?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:55 pm

By law auto makers can't deny warranty coverage for not using their proprietary fluids as long as the fluids used meet the specifications outlined by the auto maker and are maintained as per published guidelines. Shimano, or any other reel maker for that matter, can't arbitrarily deny coverage unless they publicly make available clear cut guidelines for lube requirements for their products. Any third rate strip mall lawyer would pick that apart in 5 minutes.

I have the papers for every reel I own, I don't recall ever seeing lube specs clearly defined anywhere, even on those tiny bottles of oil that used to come with them.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:56 pm

You guys cant seriously be trying to talk sense with him, its pointless. The only reason he comes to these forums is to push free advertising for his "warranty shop". I cant believe the TT superiors havent seen through this yet! Cal, how long will it take for ya to realize this ridiculousness?! Many of us on another site are particularly sick of this goob, and now you guys are being swarmed with his nonsense. Sorry, I just tell it like it is...
<")))><{

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:35 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:You guys cant seriously be trying to talk sense with him, its pointless. The only reason he comes to these forums is to push free advertising for his "warranty shop". I cant believe the TT superiors havent seen through this yet! Cal, how long will it take for ya to realize this ridiculousness?! Many of us on another site are particularly sick of this goob, and now you guys are being swarmed with his nonsense. Sorry, I just tell it like it is...
Ive been trolling him along got nothing better to do. Been on vacation since Dec 7th dont go back til Jan 7th cant fish here so let me have some fun. The best part got him to waste his time foolishly emailing companies about something I dont care about what they have to say. All the while proving him to be a hypocrite.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:52 pm

According to Shimano, they recommend Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. This is from their own reel maintenance page. There does seem to be a variety of grades.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:According to Shimano, they recommend Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. This is from their own reel maintenance page. There does seem to be a variety of grades.
Shimano only recommends using Isopropyl alcohol on the outside of the reel. There is no recommendation for use on bearings or inside of the reel once the side plate is removed:

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shi ... 0Reels.pdf

Remove spool assembly. Clean any
visible dirt and debris from exterior
of reel with cotton swabs or
toothbrush and isopropyl rubbing
alcohol. Dirt, debris, salt or sand
leads to wear and tear.

They do this because they want end users to be able find an easily available substance to clean a reel's outside with it.

It is also interesting to note on the maintenance page that Shimano calls for just one grease- their drag grease and then goes on to say in the heavy maintenance section on page 2 to grease other places in the reel, but they do not specify a second grease which leads one to conclude that using drag grease is what they are referring to in the manual:

Lubricants: Shimano® Bantam™ Oil (BNT1445), Shimano® Drag Grease (A-DRA1/4)

Clean and oil levelwind system.
Grease may also be used for high
usage reels to further prevent wear
and tear or corrosion.

No mention of aerosols either.