OG Zillion Gear Swap

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

OG Zillion Gear Swap

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:29 am

I have a Megabass IP68 that I would like to swap the gears with the 8.0 that TT has on their website. How difficult is this to do on my own? Is there a tutorial online that is available?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: OG Zillion Gear Swap

Post by iabass8 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:43 pm

Take the side plate off, pull the main gear and pinion out. Grease the new set and put it in place. Put the drag stack on and close the reel up. Super easy and doesn't take more than a couple minutes.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 am

It's a little different in that it (the 8.0 gear set) uses a non-standard drag stack... well not non-standard, but different than the typical Daiwa no 1 drag type setup, it's a pixy style setup. But the process is the the same, just follow the instuctions in the kit when putting together the drag stack, you'll just have one less washer than what you removed. I'd also suggest putting in the high speed levelwind at the same time since you'll have the reel apart.

Changing the levelwind is a bit more complicated, but not hard. Here's a link to a nice guide to taking down and cleaning a Daiwa which should help too...

https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/201 ... ion-100sh/

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:53 am

78Staff wrote:It's a little different in that it (the 8.0 gear set) uses a non-standard drag stack... well not non-standard, but different than the typical Daiwa no 1 drag type setup, it's a pixy style setup. But the process is the the same, just follow the instuctions in the kit when putting together the drag stack, you'll just have one less washer than what you removed. I'd also suggest putting in the high speed levelwind at the same time since you'll have the reel apart.

Changing the levelwind is a bit more complicated, but not hard. Here's a link to a nice guide to taking down and cleaning a Daiwa which should help too...

One major warning with the high speed levelwind, it eats pawls and levelwind shafts.
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:38 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
One major warning with the high speed levelwind, it eats pawls and levelwind shafts.
One thing about that: Don't reel while setting the hook. A lot of people do that without thinking about it
and it can be a tough habit to break, but it will lead to the premature failure of both your pawl and worm
gear, and as you might imagine the effect is more pronounced in faster levelwind systems.

Take up slack then set the hook. Doing so should improve your hook-up ratio.
This is the way.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55 am

78Staff wrote:It's a little different in that it (the 8.0 gear set) uses a non-standard drag stack... well not non-standard, but different than the typical Daiwa no 1 drag type setup, it's a pixy style setup. But the process is the the same, just follow the instuctions in the kit when putting together the drag stack, you'll just have one less washer than what you removed. I'd also suggest putting in the high speed levelwind at the same time since you'll have the reel apart.

I was wondering why the Carbontex was included with the gears on the TT website. I ordered it yesterday, hopefully it comes by the weekend so I can work on it.