Who custom paints reels?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Who custom paints reels?

Post by Ish87 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Hi have a couples reels I want custom painted but I don’t know of any one who does. Do you guys know any one that does and could pass me the info?. Would highly appreciate it. I called the tackle trap and the guy who used to paint their reels doesn’t do it any more. Any info would help thank you In advance.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Who custom paints reels?

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 pm

I posted about this too a while ago but didn't get anywhere. I bought three CH100D7's from a buddy and replaced all the internals as they were fished really hard. Plan on keeping the reels for life and wanted the frames and side plates repainted. I think I'll take the advice from a previous post and get some automotive paint for touch up.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Who custom paints reels?

Post by Slazmo » Tue May 07, 2019 3:32 am

It's such a wonderful idea to get reels repaired and repainted but it's a buyer beware issue too...

Have seen quiet a few reels repainted with incorrect paints even when done by a "professional", the main issue is paint chips occurring too easily, and the surface coating of the aluminium alloy of the frame and side plate was removed and a primer applied or even not applied enough, which allows corrosion to get in too easily... What's the quality of the aforementioned paint and prep is hard to say but the reel feet would chip too easily and leave the exposed alloys to corrode when left on the rod especially - like a lot do down here, that's enough for me to say nope... I just touch up / blend and clear over the stock paint scratch / chip to barrier the area in question and paint.

There's a guy in Brazil Igor Zacchi on one of the social platforms - does amazingly neat work... If it was easy to get these reels I have in need of resto off to him I would (Calais DC, Curado D and a few others) to get near close enough to stock repaint jobs.

I myself just got a Chronarch D5, while not too bad, it wouldn't be too hard to get the exact or near enough paint touch up 30ml pot for many more touch ups in the future.

One of those paint chip pens would help for fine work https://www.carolescraftsuk.co.uk/product-p/490926.htm