Boca A7 Orange Seals?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Boca A7 Orange Seals?

Post by Craigthor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:34 am

With an incoming reel I’m looking for a set of bearings that will cast from 3-7g mostly targeting the 5g range. Looking for smooth start up and loading. I was looking at the HH AirBFS but they are OOS for the bearings I’d need. Opinions on the Boca A7 Orange Seals? I’ll likely buy their Pin Pliers at the same time if they will work.

They also have their Ceramic Hybrids also, tuning and bearing swaps are a new thing to me so not having tested before not sure which way to go.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Boca A7 Orange Seals?

Post by bronzefly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 am

I recommend the ZPI spool bearings over the BOCA A7's. I also recommend the Hedgehog Studio bearing remover tool over the BOCA.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 am

bronzefly wrote:I recommend the ZPI spool bearings over the BOCA A7's. I also recommend the Hedgehog Studio bearing remover tool over the BOCA.
Link for the ZPI’s by any chance, this would be for an Abu Morrum so 3x10x4 and 4x10x4 IRC. I’ll probably still play with some Bocas as I will have 3 spools to play with so I can learn how different spools/ bearings perform.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 am

Craigthor wrote:With an incoming reel I’m looking for a set of bearings that will cast from 3-7g mostly targeting the 5g range. Looking for smooth start up and loading. I was looking at the HH AirBFS but they are OOS for the bearings I’d need. Opinions on the Boca A7 Orange Seals? I’ll likely buy their Pin Pliers at the same time if they will work.

They also have their Ceramic Hybrids also, tuning and bearing swaps are a new thing to me so not having tested before not sure which way to go.
The direction you were going with the AIR BFS is your best bet in my opinion. Those are Stainless Steel Micro Bearing, you will get a better startup, lower spool inertia and better spool control than a larger bearing. SLP Works also makes a micro SS bearing, both are great. The SS will be much quieter as well.
I will ward you away from both the HH Pin Remover (I've got a thread with pretzel pics somewhere). Find a Fusion XT or the round SLP Works version, hands down more sturdy than a HH Bearing Pin remover. Can't speak for the Boca Pin Pliers.
I have the ZPI's in several of my reels and they are outstanding, but I still prefer a micro SS for 3-7 grams.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks I will research if I can find SLP Micros in the needed size.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Craigthor wrote:Thanks I will research if I can find SLP Micros in the needed size.
I meant to mention IXA as well. They also make a well regarded SS Micro Bearing. You will find those in the same spot you will find the KTF offerings. When you arrive at that destination there is plenty of information regarding BFS, Bearings, Spools, Rods ect...A great read.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Craigthor wrote:Thanks I will research if I can find SLP Micros in the needed size.
I meant to mention IXA as well. They also make a well regarded SS Micro Bearing. You will find those in the same spot you will find the KTF offerings. When you arrive at that destination there is plenty of information regarding BFS, Bearings, Spools, Rods ect...A great read.
Guess I need to break out the laptop for some power searching.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Craigthor wrote:
bronzefly wrote:I recommend the ZPI spool bearings over the BOCA A7's. I also recommend the Hedgehog Studio bearing remover tool over the BOCA.
Link for the ZPI’s by any chance, this would be for an Abu Morrum so 3x10x4 and 4x10x4 IRC. I’ll probably still play with some Bocas as I will have 3 spools to play with so I can learn how different spools/ bearings perform.
Ah, I was unaware of the sizes you needed. I can't help you with ZPI in that 4x10x4. Give BOCA a whirl, they make a good bearing and the HH AIR BFS are fantastic finesse oriented bearings.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:59 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Craigthor wrote:
Ah, I was unaware of the sizes you needed. I can't help you with ZPI in that 4x10x4. Give BOCA a whirl, they make a good bearing and the HH AIR BFS are fantastic finesse oriented bearings.
Thanks, yeah I have an odd sized bearing. I did figure out where to get some IXA that are the right size seems the ‘12 Aldebaran BFS uses 3 bearings but 2 of them are the right size. I’ve also emailed HH about when the 1040 AirBFS will be back in stock.

Figure I’ll start with the Bocas as I’m not ready to place another order from Japan jsut yet.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Just wanted to update that I got my Boca A7 Orange Seals today and installed them on the 2mm shallow spool and holy cow what a difference over the HH ZR bearings. HH was kind enough to round up the parts so I will have a set of AirBFS bearings arriving at some point to test out as well and if they are better then these this reel will cast even more amazing. Off topic I also got a few other parts arriving as well.