Roller clutch issues?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Roller clutch issues?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:11 am

No issues with failure, just ARBs getting dirty. A couple cycles through the Ultrasonic cleans them up quickly so that’s not a problem. I have never heard any reel tech ever recommend grease of any kind though. Haven’t tried everything out there, so there may be something that works and that’s great if you guys found it, but why make it more difficult than it needs to be? A simple shot of CorrosionX has been the best thing I’ve found to lube an ARB and provide adequate corrosion protection. Spray in the bearing, let drain for a few on a paper towel and reinstall. Super easy and no questions about if it’s going to slip. Alan Tani’s site has some great info on topics like this is you want to read through and learn something.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:11 am
No issues with failure, just ARBs getting dirty. A couple cycles through the Ultrasonic cleans them up quickly so that’s not a problem. I have never heard any reel tech ever recommend grease of any kind though. Haven’t tried everything out there, so there may be something that works and that’s great if you guys found it, but why make it more difficult than it needs to be? A simple shot of CorrosionX has been the best thing I’ve found to lube an ARB and provide adequate corrosion protection. Spray in the bearing, let drain for a few on a paper towel and reinstall. Super easy and no questions about if it’s going to slip. Alan Tani’s site has some great info on topics like this is you want to read through and learn something.
Funny you should mention this "process". That is almost verbatim precisely what I PM'd to a closed mind today:

"Sent: Fri May 17, 2019 1:18 am
Recipient: stubborn

To prevent corrosion, I use on my own reels, not shop repair reels, but only my personal reels, I use corrosion X lubricant. It has excellent lubrication qualities and above average corrosion and rust prevention.

Key is amount to use.

I generally apply liberally, and then use low air pressure to blow corrosion X around inside the ar bearing and blow out excess. I then wipe bearing down carefully and even run a paper towel into ar bearing and spin to get excess oil off needle bearings. I also use it on the sleeve, but only a vapor thin coating.

I have 25 year old reels like new today and corrosion X and proper lubrication and maintenance is key.

Avoid grease on AR bearings!"

Even after being nice and sending this suggestion tip in a private message, the closed mind still stubbornly clings to grease is best no matter what. And this type of 'use grease no matter what anyone else says' leads to this:

Yep! Another forum reel hits the shop packed with grease even though this particular AR bearing is clearly marked right on top NO GREASE! But some guy online said I should use grease! This person actually covered over where it said NO GREASE WITH GREASE!

Go figure.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Just because you PM'd me your recommendation doesn't mean squat, your ignoring and being ignorant to the fact that you've overlooked a large bit of information in all relevance... Just because it works for me in my particular situation doesn't mean I'm going forth and creating a cancer of misinformation through the forum - you'd be stupid to think that.

What your showing in your picture here is a spinning reel, and what led you to think that I use the 00 NLGI grease in these, clearly they run a different system for AR engagement and the springs are far weaker and the bearing cylinder don't do all that much other than lock no?

So getting back to why I use that grease, I use it sparingly in a Baitcaster or two that I use predominantly in SALT here in Australia because our salt environments are well pretty salty and the corrosion near enough instantaneous in most cases when used on kayaks due to heat and internal salt fogging processes. You can oil the bejesus out of some things and I have my preference of them, but unless your substitute it for a thicker 80/90w consistency a 00 grease will do without any qualms because the AR bearing of a Baitcaster will take the grease a whole lot better than a spinning reels AR in function.

So if you want to go around a forum and b*tch and moan about sending valid information to "Recipient: Stubborn", just keep in mind that information these days is free, regardless of its origin. You can send all the PM's you want; but mate your delivery is piss poor and questionable.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 am

After 25 years of forum efforts and taking abuse from people who simply want to argue over things that should be set in stone and taking abuse from people like you, you should expect a harsher delivery tone.

When people offer information, slamming them is the wrong approach, and then coming back saying you don't give a flying buck and don't care and will continue to do it your way or the highway earns the delivery you get. Keep that in mind.

And, it is because of people like you that keeps most pro's away from forums like this. People like you are the reason the major brands have declared U.S. forums as hopeless and a waste of time. Can't reach people who don't want to listen. And even after being told and shown NO GREASE, you stubbornly cling to it even now.

When a mechanic tells you that you should put oil in your engine instead of grease, you should be open minded enough to listen.

When a doctor tells you that you should cut back on sugar and red meat fats, you should be open enough to listen.

But for some reason when a reel tech tells you to use something else instead of grease, how do you respond? Yeah, we all know. We all can see and read why people like you run off other members and drive away the pro's. You respond with screw you, I don't care what you say, I'm going to use grease until I die. We get it.

A well managed forum would control the abuse more effectively.

I tried to be nice to you and we can all see how that worked out. More abuse. There is an old saying... what you put out comes back on you. A Universal law.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat May 18, 2019 5:39 am

This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 am
I tried to be nice to you and we can all see how that worked out. More abuse. There is an old saying... what you put out comes back on you. A Universal law.
Im pretty sure this is advise to yourself. Your way of "telling" or "showing" is a bit off key, and you are set in "its this way or no way". You have to understand that people do things differently than you or your shop, and most of us on here arent your "forumrejects" that you like to consistently point out. Thats what really digs into some on here, as you practically degrade people on here, when you really dont know what you are dealing with. This isnt Bassresource, and you are treading on thin ice.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat May 18, 2019 5:52 am

True enough, but if you notice when I post I never say one word about other members. Never. I stay on topic until someone wants to make it personal and then I give it back to them. Simple as that.

This is where that proper management issue should come in.

I own and run my own forum now for 25 years and we do not have this type of problem on our forum. One of our first rules is no comments of any kind directed at other members. Not allowed. We hold that line strictly and it works.

Everyone knows what is expected of them and how to behave. Not so on fishing and tackle forums. More like WWF.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat May 18, 2019 6:01 am

You dont have to include a members name, they are already aware that you are indirectly referring to them. Then, on top of that, you post a PM to another member and include "stubborn" as the recipient. Lets get real brother, and lets get back on topic. I think you should stick to your own forum personally, as you have burned bridges in one already, and now you have managed to do the same here.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat May 18, 2019 6:38 am

We should have stayed on topic a long time ago. But keep in mind I am not the only one who "burns bridges". You should hear what some think of you some time if you care to hear. I get to hear it though. So just be aware I am not alone in not caring what some think... The main difference is they don't post it on forums, they joke about it in person on every fishing trip or visit to the shop or at ICAST.

We enjoy this forum and others for entertainment -we call infotainment at the shop and other. One tech will show the rest of the shop what some guy in South Africa or UK said and then pass it around the shop and everyone gets a laugh out of it, and then sometimes we will "group" respond, but the forum thinks it is just one person posting like it is today on my day off, while at other times more than one person is responding through one account.

So you can not always believe what is being posted is the result of one person sometimes with just black and white text on a screen.

I will repeat though... when I first post to a thread I do not say one word about any other members and do not make it personal. I will give it back when toxic words are directed my way. They should expect it. And I don't care about burning bridges because I never build any anyway. Not here for that.

Pushing the envelope is part of the "experience" and judging the results determine sometimes how dominoes fall. Can't wait to read the final report card on U.S. forum due diligence!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat May 18, 2019 6:53 am

So you admit that ShimanoFan is a "company" account, and not just a personal account. Got it. Now, please put the keyboard away. Do not post anymore and ruin this topic of discussion on bearings blowing apart on new reels. Thank you.
<")))><{

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat May 18, 2019 12:57 pm

If the site admins would introduce a "block user" function, then every one could make up their own mind as to what and who they believe. Would save members having to scroll through the same "I am gods gift to reel tuning" rubbish.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat May 18, 2019 2:03 pm

This is the way.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon May 20, 2019 12:28 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 am
[
Avoid grease on AR bearings!"

Even after being nice and sending this suggestion tip in a private message, the closed mind still stubbornly clings to grease is best no matter what. And this type of 'use grease no matter what anyone else says' leads to this:

Yep! Another forum reel hits the shop packed with grease even though this particular AR bearing is clearly marked right on top NO GREASE! But some guy online said I should use grease! This person actually covered over where it said NO GREASE WITH GREASE!

Go figure.
You continually point to one-way roller clutches and it is clear reading OP that this is referring to casting reels. Please read and comprehend posts by other users. No one is recommending globbing a pile of grease on stradic or sustain roller clutches. ](*,)

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:30 am

Man, everyone attacking the messenger while ignoring the message. I’m not here for the arguments or to start any at all, just trying to get some good ideas out there when questions like comes up, and hate to see the right info get lost in the arguments. Can not compare the grease vs. oil argument with levelwinds to this since a levelwind does not rely on friction to work correctly. Try some Corrosion X in the red can and be done with it. Easy to apply, and definitely a lot easier to clean than cleaning grease out of an ARB. I’ve also used TSI 321 which protected well but didn’t seem to last as long as Corrosion X.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 am

This Corrosion X that I hear about often on here, to me seems like a penetrant/liquid grease to me. I used to use something similar to that on my BMX bike chains, and it was like a waxy/silicone type spray stuff. I wonder what is the makeup of it.

Another thought: anyone try mixing a bit of grease and oil together to get a similar effect?
<")))><{