TD-Z drag issue

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
breamtim
Angler
Angler

TD-Z drag issue

Post by breamtim » Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 am

Hi all
Having a bit of issues with my Daiwa TD-Z Ito and its drag. I'm new to reel upgrades and just upgraded the drag to Carbontex on the TD-Z. I re-assembled the reel, and now I have a problem where when the drag is tightened, the reel becomes stiff to wind. This stiffness increases as the drag is turned up, however is fine (normal to wind) on low drag settings. Does anyone know where I've gone wrong?

Thanks in advance, Tim

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TD-Z drag issue

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu May 23, 2019 5:58 am

Sounds to me like you have something internally not set correctly. Maybe something that is riding on the crankshaft.
<")))><{

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu May 23, 2019 6:10 am

Sounds to me like you have click leaf spring holder (looks like a cup) upside down. I bought a Fuego with this same issue. Reversed it to have the "cup" facing up and it's fine. If it is facing down, you are most likely having it dig into the rim and cause friction when reeling with the drag tightened. When it is loose, it backs off the rim of the side plate and there is no more friction. Really a simple fix if that is the issue. Hope this helps. Best wishes on the water.

It is part #86 here:

http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/a ... C_105H.pdf

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:55 pm

There's a tiny flat washer that sits right above the bearing resting on top of the AR bearing and below the clicking drag. If you don't have this washer, tightening down the drag will cause the reel to do what yours is doing. Worth looking into.