Anti-Reverse/Needle Bearing/Roller Bearing/Clutch, etc. etc.

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anti-Reverse/Needle Bearing/Roller Bearing/Clutch, etc. etc.

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed May 29, 2019 10:32 am

I might be diving a little too far into semantics for some, but I just wanted to air this out for the true reel nerds. After speaking with an application engineer today from NTN, I believe the correct term is One-way clutch, and not needle bearing as I read so many times on this website. The difference being a needle bearing would allow an axle to rotate both backwards and forwards, vs. a one-way clutch that only allows the axle(or drive shaft of a casting reel) to move in one direction. The only disclaimer I will add is that although the engineer I spoke to seemed very intelligent, I'm not sure if NTN's definitions are standardized across the entire industry, but it made sense to me.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anti-Reverse/Needle Bearing/Roller Bearing/Clutch, etc. etc.

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 29, 2019 1:45 pm

AR bearing/Anti Reverse Bearing, or Roller Clutch is what I call them.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu May 30, 2019 11:56 am

To me a needle bearing is a single piece of metal found inside the AR bearing or clutch or whatever floats your boat to call it.

It takes a number of needle bearings to make up the AR bearing or clutch or whatever name you wish to use to describe the overall part... but needle bearing is correct for the internal bearing itself which is referred to correctly by most from what I have read around here... I have yet to see anyone confuse the actual needle bearing itself with the overall accumulated group of assembled parts referred to by various names...

Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri May 31, 2019 1:25 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:32 am
... The difference being a needle bearing would allow an axle to rotate both backwards and forwards, vs. a one-way clutch that only allows the axle(or drive shaft of a casting reel) to move in one direction.
It is true a needle bearing would normally allow an axle to rotate in both directions if in a flat round retainer, but it is the retaining case shape that stops the rotation in one direction while allowing it to roll in the other direction.

In the following bearing, these inner needle bearings roll equally as well in either direction because the retaining case is flat in both directions the bearings would turn:

Now take a look at the difference in retaining case the needle bearings are held within... notice the case is NOT flat in both directions. It has a specific shape that allows movement- or the needle bearings to roll uninhibited in one direction, but will stop and catch the needle bearing if rotated in the opposite direction.

It is the retaining case that makes the difference, not the needle bearing. Both have needle bearings.

So let's try and clear up a slight misunderstanding... the AR bearing used in baitcast reels is a true anti-reverse bearing and can be called a clutch in how it is used, but in my opinion is not a clutch in and of itself. As I see it clutch bearings are switchable and found in some spinning reels- and can be switched into an anti-reverse mode, or switched out of it and into a true bearing mode rotating equally as well in both directions. One is a true AR bearing that can be used as a clutch, and the other is the AR clutch bearing with the difference being the switchable mode of operation.

The following is what I consider a true clutch bearing since it is switchable between modes of operation. The following is a Shimano spinning reel clutch AR bearing:

Guess it is a matter of perspective to some degree. And once upon a time, I thought time was constant... come to find out my head ages faster than my feet according to Einstein, Hilbert, and Grossman who combined developed the theory of relativity...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:24 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:25 pm

Guess it is a matter of perspective to some degree. And once upon a time, I thought time was constant... come to find out my head ages faster than my feet according to Einstein, Hilbert, and Grossman who combined developed the theory of relativity...
Then why do my feet smell like they're older than my head?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:35 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:24 am
ShimanoFan wrote:

Mine smell like Doritos. Man, I love me some Blazin Doritos. Mmmmmmmm.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:32 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:35 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:24 am
ShimanoFan wrote:

Mine smell like Doritos. Man, I love me some Blazin Doritos. Mmmmmmmm.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 am

One of the premier Japanese bearing companies goes by:

"Nomenclature 'Drawn Cup Roller Clutch'" as their preferred technical term engineers use when catalog sourcing. The term bearing is not used at all.

Another thing from the technical catalog says human hands should never touch these parts.

I just checked with a Chinese company who uses:

"Drawn cup needle roller clutch"

While the bozos over at Boca non-bearing warehouse of cheap chinese made bearings goes by:

"One Way Clutch Bearings"

***One of the main differences between brands is the torque transfer rating. Japanese usually take higher torque than cheaper chinese parts do.