DAIWA 103HSDF Modification

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

DAIWA 103HSDF Modification

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 am

This weekend I fell back in love with this reel. IT is a little awkward, a bit heavy and old But it is still a great functioning reel. I have an appreciation for engineering that stands the test of time. I used this reel HARD in its early days, even up until 4-5 years ago. So when I picked it up and threw it the first time, I was shocked to recall just how nice this reel still casts.

I have it paired with on a Tatula 76hf casting rod, I was throwing frogs. The only thing I wish was improved was depth of spool. I actually can cast to the spool loaded with 40lb power pro. It is just an incredible casting reel. So with my reborn appreciation for it, I want to modify it a bit.

As far as a mod goes, I want to replace the small stock handle with a longer swept handle. The current one is just too small and feels like i am winding a 4:1 ration reel even though it is a respectable 6.3:1. I also feel like the reel has a lot of power but it is minimized by the small handle.

If I am not mistaken i will need to change the handle, star drag and spool tension knob?

Any advise on handle Modifications/sources I can make to this reel? Keeping within an acceptable budget that is.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: DAIWA 103HSDF Modification

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:04 pm

I recently picked up a pair of TD-S' on the cheap, one with a TD-ITO spool, and the other with a Steez 103 spool. I've tore them both down, but only rebuilt the 5:1 crankin so far. Threw a TDZ 105 spool in it for spinnerbaits and it's been awesome. I think it palms better than my TDZ. I played around and added an old T3 drag star and 100mm handle. I need to upgrade the drag to carbontex though.