TSI 321 on centrifugal brake drums?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

TSI 321 on centrifugal brake drums?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:41 am

Anyone use it for this? Yall keep talking about its adhearing properties. Some even using it on the levelwind, so what say you on the brake drums/pipes?
<")))><{

Impreza619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: TSI 321 on centrifugal brake drums?

Post by Impreza619 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:43 pm

I would keep the drums clean and dry. wouldnt want dirt to get stuck on the tsi and potentially gum up the brakes.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Impreza619 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:43 pm
I would keep the drums clean and dry. wouldnt want dirt to get stuck on the tsi and potentially gum up the brakes.
I've always kept a swipe of oil on them,and swipe clean before adding oil. The tabs and shafts on the spool get cleaned as well, annually.
<")))><{

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:05 am

Works good, to good in some cases. VBS brake ring, no issues at all. Very slick and makes the spool faster, but those brakes were so controlled it worked out fine to gain some distance. SVS brake pipe, I usually just keep clean and dry. Used TSI on one and the reel was uncontrollable. Had to turn brakes way up and lost distance. Been running them clean and dry since without issue. If you do try it, don’t soak it. Very, very light coat and wipe off as much as possible.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:05 am
Works good, to good in some cases. VBS brake ring, no issues at all. Very slick and makes the spool faster, but those brakes were so controlled it worked out fine to gain some distance. SVS brake pipe, I usually just keep clean and dry. Used TSI on one and the reel was uncontrollable. Had to turn brakes way up and lost distance. Been running them clean and dry since without issue. If you do try it, don’t soak it. Very, very light coat and wipe off as much as possible.
My main concern is the "I" platform Shimanos. The first gen SVS Inf brakes will make horrendous noise if the pipe is dry. I use a thin oil now, and a very small amount. I was thinking if the TSI sticks better, it may last longer, and with a smaller amount?
<")))><{

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:52 am

Could you post a photo? I am curious to know what area(s) you are speaking of regarding oiling? I have a bunch of VBS reels and one Curado 50 is noisy on the cast

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:52 am
Could you post a photo? I am curious to know what area(s) you are speaking of regarding oiling? I have a bunch of VBS reels and one Curado 50 is noisy on the cast
If you take the palm plate off, you see the brass ring that the brake tabs will touch when they extend out? Thats what Im talking about. On the SVS Inf brakes, its a conical pipe in the middle. I cant post pics on TT, I suck at computers. :lol:
<")))><{

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks for the reply LMB 8-)

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:50 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 am

My main concern is the "I" platform Shimanos. The first gen SVS Inf brakes will make horrendous noise if the pipe is dry. I use a thin oil now, and a very small amount. I was thinking if the TSI sticks better, it may last longer, and with a smaller amount?
Definitely remember that issue popping up. Yeah you should be fine with the way you have been doing it. Should last longer than normal oil for sure. Dirt and grime doesn’t really stick to it either, so that may help in longevity.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:08 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:50 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 am

Definitely remember that issue popping up. Yeah you should be fine with the way you have been doing it. Should last longer than normal oil for sure. Dirt and grime doesn’t really stick to it either, so that may help in longevity.
Ok. That's what I was thinking, but wanted a response with someone who has a little more knowledge in that lubricant than I did. Didnt want to cause a "overkill" issue. Lol.
<")))><{