Loose drive shaft on Tatula

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Loose drive shaft on Tatula

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:28 pm

I have 4 Tatula reels that have been fished hard for several years and notice a definite thumping when i shake the reel. Also quite apparent when I pull on the drag star. I believe this is due to the drive shaft having excessive axial movement.
Possibly the bearing under the shaft is worn?
I am very comfortable taking them apart and have much practice!
Is there a way to eliminate this?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Loose drive shaft on Tatula

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:20 pm

I get this sometimes on new reels and even more in older used reels. I usually take a piece of plastic (shim), cut to near the diameter of the end of the shaft and add to the bottom of the pocket, normally where the felt washer is. Sometimes you have try a few different thicknesses to get it just right but that always works for me.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 pm

Well I solved the problem by selling all of them. Time to upgrade! Will definitely get the new Elite when it comes out but debating on either an Antares or More Than for now.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 pm

The new Elite arrived and has a very pronounced rattle. Anyone try changing out the bearing under the drive shaft?