Budget TDZ builds

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Budget TDZ builds

Post by garza7585 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:10 pm

Hey everyone, I have been out of the tuning/enthusiast world for quite some time. I was going through some of my things at my parents house and managed to find a bunch of old reels that I had retired a while back, mostly TDX's but I found 2 TDZ's in great condition that I want to start using again. They didn't have handles and I think I found the reason why. It seems as though the drive shaft threads are stripped, or the nuts are stripped. I tried putting on a Tatula handle and I can tighted the nut, but any pressure on the handle and it breaks loose.

I plan on tinkering with these reels, probably source new driveshafts and nuts. But was wondering if you guys can recommend some parts to revamp these reels? Mainly the handles and dragstars. If you were to do a budget build what parts would you put on?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Budget TDZ builds

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:55 pm

How much do you want to spend? About the cheapest you're going to get is an oem TDZ drag star and 90mm tatula handle for about $30 bucks total.

garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by garza7585 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:19 pm

I'll probably do a Zaion dragstar and a Tutala handle.

I gotta do 2 reels so I figured 50 bucks a reel to get em going and looking sweet is fair. Are there any good/value aftermarket options?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:33 pm

garza7585 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:19 pm

I gotta do 2 reels so I figured 50 bucks a reel to get em going and looking sweet is fair. Are there any good/value aftermarket options?
The sky is the limit man. If i were you I would take a look around and see what you like and dont like
things can get pretty expensive really quick BUT its all worth it in the end. I have 3 reel project going on at the same time
and one is the TDZ, I went for a ZPI spool but have settled on a blue emblem for now..
What spool are you looking to use in the reel? Are you going with the original or upgrade? IMHO it depends on what you want to do with the reel.
Id seconded the zion drag star but opt for a carbon handle personally or just keep the original handle and upgrade the knobs.
Certainly upgrade the drag system and at a minimum some boca orange seal bearings in the side plate and on the spool too
( I like to keep the bearings the same ).
There is a thread here that I look at from time to time to help me get my creative ideas squeezed out. Good Luck man
post pictures when your done..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:37 am

Driveshafts are a tough source for TD-Z's now. You're more than likely going to need to find someone to cut, drill, and tap them to accept a Steez bolt. It's an upgrade over the stock setup as well, much more durable. As for budget, theres nothing budget about a TD-Z build :lol: Drags need to be carbontex imo, stock is worthless. Gear swaps run around $50 if you need to do it. Spools can be stock for free or well over $100 for some of the more coveted ones. Enjoy it, they're a fun build.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by garza7585 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:46 pm

They are definately great and fun/comfortable to fish. The TDZ/Zillion platforms is still by far my favorite platform that Daiwa has released. The more I comb the internet for information and parts, the more I see that it will be a bit spendy, but worth it to dust off these beauties and put them back in the rotation.

I've guided on Lake St. Clair for the past 12 years, finally took a break from it, but I shelved all my nicer reels because customers would just beat up my stuff. I found 2 TDZ's that I totally forgot I had. I got 2 SS SV's and 2 Alphas SV's that i'm gonna pull out and start fishing again over my Tatulas. I love the Tatulas for guiding, they are a rugged reel that performs well. I'll have to clean up my old Zillions as well.

Thanks everyone for their input. I'll have to source driveshafts somehow before I can do anything.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Nothing about a TDZ is budget. :lol: Parts are rare, especially gear sets. Spools are most common as many will work. I managed to find a mint one from Japan, and then a fellow member was selling one that was mint shortly after. So, I grabbed that second one as its practically new, and I have a parts reel just in case. The one I use has a few red accented parts, and a Type R spool from a mint Type R I have in my display case. Carbon fiber handle that I picked up from a fellow member, and a PX Type R drag star. They are fun, and never ending mods are a plus. Have a blast with it, and dont worry about the money. You cant take it with you. :lol:
<")))><{

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 pm

what spool bearings would you suggest for weights 1/8 to 1/2 oz

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47 pm

johns wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 pm
what spool bearings would you suggest for weights 1/8 to 1/2 oz
The original hedgehog air ceramics
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 am

garza7585 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:19 pm

Did you do anything to the tdz's yet? I have a project tdz as well and looking for ideas.

I went with a tatula handle i had sitting around and zaion drag star to make it usable (bought without a handle) and I have two spools to try (steez 103 r+ and a 1000sv) but not sure what spool Im going to end up with when it's all said and done. I'd like a carbon fiber handle and different knobs but I want those for like 8 reels and always end up finding something else to buy.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 am

Dont know about the budget part, but here are my 2 TDZ'S.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 am
Dont know about the budget part, but here are my 2 TDZ'S.

I like the red, I've seen them with sky blue parts too and it looks pretty good.