Turn down for what!?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Turn down for what!?

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:24 am

So I just picked up my first SV 103 and first off, I must say all the hype is true. Such a connected feel and smoothness I've only felt before in my Zillion Type R. Needless to say, I'm excited to start playing around with combinations of different spools. Before I bought the reel, I had purchased a SV 103 spool to use in other platforms, so now I have two. Well I figured I'd play around and see what kind of performance I could get from removing material from the inductor. I remembered reading here that someone (@rippin-lips) had tried the same modification, so I started out with what he did by taking off 40 thousandths.
20190926_163950.jpg
20190926_163950.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
20190926_165213.jpg
20190926_165213.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
So far, testing has yielded favorable results. I've thrown a variety of lures and am getting good distances. The real test will be when I install a R+ spring this week, so both spools will be exactly the same besides the inductor. Then I'll have a good measuring block and can go from there.

Off topic: Has anyone used a ZPI nrc M or PG spool in their SV 103? What have your experiences been like? Would you recommend one over the other? I'm ready to pull the trigger if people would return my PMs, haha.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Turn down for what!?

Post by Houndfish » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 am

That’s awesome, I wish I had been less of a turd when I was a kid and learned more machining from my granddad.

I have played with a PG spool in a sv103 but only for a bit of yard casting. I don’t have a strong opinion of it, it didn’t feel different enough from the RCS 1012sv or Zillion SV spools to make me want to buy a second PG.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:07 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 am
That’s awesome, I wish I had been less of a turd when I was a kid and learned more machining from my granddad.

I have played with a PG spool in a sv103 but only for a bit of yard casting. I don’t have a strong opinion of it, it didn’t feel different enough from the RCS 1012sv or Zillion SV spools to make me want to buy a second PG.
I was lucky enough to get hired by a manufacturing company a few years ago to build machines for them and then that has turned into design and machining work as well. I've learned so much.

So I guess it's safe to say the 1012sv and zillion sv spools are your favorites in the reel? I've wanted to pick up a zillion sv spool to try, but they seem to be pretty hard to find. There's one for about $90 now on Ebay. Does that spool shine in any other platforms?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 am

Imho the Zillion 1016sv and the RCS 1012sv are universally the “best” 34mm spools in they they both have worked well in every reel I have tried them in. The 1012sv is a bit more free and is my preferred for thiner lines or pitching. The Zillion SV spool is a great GP spool but they seem to sell out constantly. I bought two for $60 a few years ago and wish I had bought four of them.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 am
Imho the Zillion 1016sv and the RCS 1012sv are universally the “best” 34mm spools in they they both have worked well in every reel I have tried them in. The 1012sv is a bit more free and is my preferred for thiner lines or pitching. The Zillion SV spool is a great GP spool but they seem to sell out constantly. I bought two for $60 a few years ago and wish I had bought four of them.
Great info! Thanks.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 am

What a great post. I show this to the machinistmates I serve with
I have so much appreciation for the rate/ occupation. When you are in the middle of the ocean and need a part to fix a piece of equipment the MM’s are life savers. I have been trying to get them to work on my reels too \:D/ \:D/

You said you took off 40/1000ths but what was the initial length and how far are you planning to go?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:04 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 am
What a great post. I show this to the machinistmates I serve with
I have so much appreciation for the rate/ occupation. When you are in the middle of the ocean and need a part to fix a piece of equipment the MM’s are life savers. I have been trying to get them to work on my reels too \:D/ \:D/

You said you took off 40/1000ths but what was the initial length and how far are you planning to go?
Hey Jorrick, I too have such an admiration for machinists. It's almost unbelievable what the folks at my work can do. We had a woman who just retired after 30 years at the company who was phenomenal with a manual mill. Most run CNC's, so it's mostly programming but still insane to see the final product.

The initial length of the inductor was .293 if I recall correctly. I'm expecting a tackle trap order this week with a R+ spring, so once I install that I'll see how it performs. So far it's not wild or uncontrollable, so I think there will be room for material reduction if the spring doesn't open it up too much.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Good stuff indeed :big grin:

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:39 am

So I installed the R+ spring and have been tossing 5/16-1/2oz poppers at snakeheads for the past week or so and am really liking the results. I'm using a cheap Med Aird Coastal rod which is pretty whippy but I'm really liking it for treble baits. This spool really likes an underhand roll cast and doesn't like to be forced. Smooth casting with pretty good distance, brakes between 3 and 4 and side to side play just removed. I'm going to sell my other spool as this one performs better and no need for two :big grin: .

Edit: Also just picked up a NRC 001 PG Spool and have a Zillion SV on the way, so I'll have those to play with :even bigger grin:.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:10 am

Cool stuff =D>

I imagine that removal of material from the sv103 spool does great things to performance (in the sv103).

I have two SV103 in normal and xfast ratio.
I use NRC001 M and PG in both reels. The Ms typically with 10lb fluoro or braid for large trout and the PGs with 15-20lb mono for atlantic salmon. As the spools are used with different line, rods, and for different species with different lure weight I cannot really recommend one over the other. For my purposes, both the M and PG work great in SV103...