Taming my 100m spool

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Taming my 100m spool

Post by ogrich31 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:31 am

Looking to tame my 100m spool. It's sitting in a Zillion Type R.

Great spool, but things can get pretty wild at times. I've had a few trips at night where I don't stop my spool on time (before my lure hits the water), and there goes my line. I have my brakes set at 10/10, and my cast control is set so there's no noticeable side to side spool movement. During the day, things are fine because I can see my lure. I also have to feather the spool the entire time if I'm casting, which isn't a problem with me.

Would swapping out softer springs help? If so, what springs would work best?

What about a fixed inductor?

Thank you

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Taming my 100m spool

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:27 am

You could try a few things that are of minimial cost:

1. Try a different line if you are using flourocarbon
2. Don’t over spool the reel. Sometimes 2/3 or 3/4 is better than filling it 85-90 percent full
3. During the day light hours make a cast. Then peel off about a another half casts worth of line and put a small piece of tap there. That would prevent any further backlashes past that point

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:59 am

Are you sure the inductor is moving freely? While I did find the spool a little temperamental with the stock inductor, I currently use a Type R+ inductor and HLC spring and don't have to have the brakes anywhere near that high. Even stock, I didn't have the brakes above 6. Sounds like something isn't operating properly.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:12 am

I’m going to have to second Adam here, there’s something wrong with either the reel or the spool. I have that spool in both a TD Fuego and it’s original TDZ platform, and it will absolutely sling for me, pretty consistently, no thumbing during the middle of the cast, and with the brakes nowhere near 10. I’d check the magnets in the side plate first, make sure they’re aligned properly, and then make sure the inductor is operating correctly.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:42 am

Ditto, the 100M spool is among the most controlled spools I've ever used, no thumb at all until splashdown. I'll say to check the inner and outer magnet rings. At the highest setting, the grooves across the magnets should line up, and they should separate as you back off the mag dial. If that's not the case, then one of the magnet rings has come loose and probably needs realigned and epoxied back in place. Another possibility is the round rotor has popped loose from the plastic inductor base that's attached to the spool. I've seen both issues while servicing reels over the years.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks, I'll try some of those suggestions in a few days.

I'm using 20lb shooter on the 100m spool, but the line isn't the problem as all my reels with fluoro have shooter. I can do hard casts and skip with my td-z r spool and stiff fluoro.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:07 am

If your looking for something that won't backlash even with your eyes closed then you may want to look into a Tatula SV. It should be great for night fishing.