Adding tension to Daiwa spool tension knobs?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Adding tension to Daiwa spool tension knobs?

Post by Houndfish » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:28 am

Hi,

I have a couple Pixies and Alphases that I run with no to minimal spool tension. The issue I have is that the knobs are very loose and I am constantly tightening or loosening them by accident during handling. I was thinking of adding thick grease to the threads but I am afraid of getting grit and sand embedded in it. I have tried using plumber tape on the threads but cutting and applying tiny slivers of tape is extremely frustrating and I have never managed to get it right.

Is there a way to add tension to them that I am not thinking of?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Adding tension to Daiwa spool tension knobs?

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:07 am

An o-ring. I had to add one in lieu of the ss sv washer kit when I added a HH tension knob to my SV103. Works like a charm. I work in fluidics and have an endless supply at work. I can send you some if you want to go that route.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:20 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:07 am
An o-ring. I had to add one in lieu of the ss sv washer kit when I added a HH tension knob to my SV103. Works like a charm. I work in fluidics and have an endless supply at work. I can send you some if you want to go that route.
Thanks for the offer! I have a big kit of o-rings that I bought for wacky rigging but it never occurred to me to use them for the knobs.

Where are you putting the o-ring?

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:57 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:20 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:07 am
Thanks for the offer! I have a big kit of o-rings that I bought for wacky rigging but it never occurred to me to use them for the knobs.

Where are you putting the o-ring?
Just at the base of the threads, tight to the reel. Since there are no clickies, it won't interfere with anything.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's going to be different with those caps, not sure it will work. That HH has a wide flange at the base with space for the clickies.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:14 am

If the o-ring is the right thickness, it should hold the cap in position the same as the smaller stock o-ring, right? That is, if you can find an o-ring with the right dimension to just touch the grooves where the clicker usually rests.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank for the info guys, I am going to dig out my o-ring kit and see what I can do.