Lower gear ratio for SS Air

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Lower gear ratio for SS Air

Post by NorCoMike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:02 am

Been doing research and looking into lowering the gear ratio on an SS Air. Can it be done? what gear set would fit? Im stepping into the BFS game and im not sure if the fast retrieve will be a good thing or a bad thing. What ration do you like for thowing 1/8th oz jerkbaits and cranks?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Lower gear ratio for SS Air

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:54 am

I have 6.3 gears in mine for the same reason, because I am tossing moving baits like tiny cranks, curlytail grubs and small spinners exclusively. I swapped gears from an SS SV103H. Any of the SS SV gears will fit.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 am

That's amazing! I have never played with baitcasters. Is it difficult to change gears in them? I will do some research but im sure there are write ups out there for this.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:24 am

Another question tackletrap doesn't seem to have anything besides 8.1 gear sets. Do you have a source to order other gear sets?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:13 am

Plat and Japan Tackle can both help. Email them and tell them what you need. Be sure to specify if it's a LH or RH reel. Both will source and price a gear set for you. Or you can do what I did....buy the other reel and swap gears. Sell the other one with the 8.1 gears. It will likely sell quickly, because the high speed reels are what people want now, and the 103H is gold trimmed. This matches a lot of rods, like the MB Destroyer models.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:47 am

Thank you! I knew it couldn't be just me that didn't want that fast ratio!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:30 am

I'm relatively certain that parts from an original Zillion will fit, but to be safe, call the guys at Tackle Trap and ask. They'll know for sure.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 am

NorCoMike wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 am
Is it difficult to change gears in them? I will do some research but im sure there are write ups out there for this.
If you have basic mechanical skills, a gear swap is fairly easy on most baitcasters. If you aren't comfortable, give Bryan a call at the Tackle Trap and they can do the work for you. They can also likely source the gear set for you, if you call and tell them what you want/need.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:04 am

Sent an email to Tackle trap to see what they say but haven't heard from them yet. Plat did email back already and wants to know what part numbers i want. From looking at the diagram i need 57 which is the pinion and 81 which is the main gear. When you do a gear change is there anything else that needs to be swapped or is it just those two parts?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:22 am

NorCoMike wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:04 am
Sent an email to Tackle trap to see what they say but haven't heard from them yet. Plat did email back already and wants to know what part numbers i want. From looking at the diagram i need 57 which is the pinion and 81 which is the main gear. When you do a gear change is there anything else that needs to be swapped or is it just those two parts?
Just those 2 parts are all you need. The existing drag washer and top pressure plate can be reused.

NorCoMike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NorCoMike » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks again! going to let them know and see if they can get them ordered for me! Since I'm asking you so many questions do you have an opinion on the drag clicker mod?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm

NorCoMike wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:53 am
Thanks again! going to let them know and see if they can get them ordered for me! Since I'm asking you so many questions do you have an opinion on the drag clicker mod?
I like the drag clicker feature that comes stock on the Steez CT. It seems beneficial on a finesse reel with light line and low drag settings. Never tried Oleg's clicker conversion, but the general consensus here is that it works as advertised.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:46 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm
NorCoMike wrote:
I like the drag clicker feature that comes stock on the Steez CT. It seems beneficial on a finesse reel with light line and low drag settings. Never tried Oleg's clicker conversion, but the general consensus here is that it works as advertised.
Can you explain your liking of a drag clicker? We fish a bit differently down here but cant see a need

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:01 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:46 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
NorCoMike wrote:
Can you explain your liking of a drag clicker? We fish a bit differently down here but cant see a need
When fishing light line, you can tell when the drag is slipping and equate that to how much pressure you are putting on the fish. It's like fishing an ultralight spinning setup, knowing when to ease up and when to put pressure.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:01 pm
Sore Thumb wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:46 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
NorCoMike wrote:
When fishing light line, you can tell when the drag is slipping and equate that to how much pressure you are putting on the fish. It's like fishing an ultralight spinning setup, knowing when to ease up and when to put pressure.
Thanks for the reply. I usually use my thumb for that. Might give it a go