EVA Rod Handles

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
KooyaKey
Angler
Angler

EVA Rod Handles

Post by KooyaKey » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Hey guys! Anyone have any tips/tricks on cleaning/restoring dirty & worn out EVA handles? Can't seem to find anything on this. Thanks!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: EVA Rod Handles

Post by Slazmo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:51 pm

With some of these "vintage" rods of say 1980's etc with hyperlon foam grips I've been buying lately, that have become full of sweat, grease, fish blood and guts etc of the previous owners...

Warm bucket of Chemtech CT18 - you'd have an American alternative heavy duty truck wash and dilute that a little more than needed / says on the bottle into a bucket of near hot water...

I use a good quality scrubbing brush with stiff bristles and go to town on scrubbing it... I've managed excellent results without the need to put the rod on the lathe and remove any through sanding...

Scrub and dry and find areas that need doing and repeat. Just don't gouge the hyperlon / EVA with anything.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:56 pm

Dents can be lifted by pouring boiling water over it. This won't work for cuts or chunks missing. Im just talking compressed areas.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:56 pm
Dents can be lifted by pouring boiling water over it. This won't work for cuts or chunks missing. Im just talking compressed areas.
For real?

KooyaKey
Angler
Angler

Post by KooyaKey » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:22 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone! My only rod with EVA grips and it's bugging me to look at :lol: Gonna try the Chemtech & give the boiling water a go for sure.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:08 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
For real?
A guy I know in Japan told me about that one. It took a few tries, but it worked for one creased area on a swim bait rod I used to have. Not sure about hypalon, but it worked for me on standard EVA.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:26 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:08 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
For real?
A guy I know in Japan told me about that one. It took a few tries, but it worked for one creased area on a swim bait rod I used to have. Not sure about hypalon, but it worked for me on standard EVA.
Are we talking a minimal gentle pour, or a full on dunk?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:58 pm

I took a full ladle while it was boiling and poured it slowly over the handle at the crease, into the kitchen sink. Did it 3 or 4 times. I tried to keep it laying flat across the sink, to avoid getting it on the reel seat and the butt, because high temps can soften epoxy.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:05 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:58 pm
I took a full ladle while it was boiling and poured it slowly over the handle at the crease, into the kitchen sink. Did it 3 or 4 times. I tried to keep it laying flat across the sink, to avoid getting it on the reel seat and the butt, because high temps can soften epoxy.
I shall try