Best Grease for Aluminum Gears

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Best Grease for Aluminum Gears

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:17 am

What is the best grease you have found for aluminum gears used in saltwater? Looking for something that will stay put and protect the gears over months of hard fishing. I may be asking for to much, but it’s worth a try.

Used Penn Blue in the past and it worked really well, but something went wrong one time and it got hard and caked up inside and was nearly impossible to remove. I now use CorrosionX grease which has worked great on brass but not so much with aluminum. Seems to not stay on the gears as well as others.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Best Grease for Aluminum Gears

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:45 am

Yamaha blue lower-unit grease stays put very well, and 1 tube will last for yrs. It's what I use on any sw reels that I service. If the Penn grease caked up, it's likely that salty water got in. Most greases will react like that if exposed to a significant amount of salts.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best Grease for Aluminum Gears

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:30 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:45 am
Yamaha blue lower-unit grease stays put very well, and 1 tube will last for yrs. It's what I use on any sw reels that I service. If the Penn grease caked up, it's likely that salty water got in. Most greases will react like that if exposed to a significant amount of salts.
Thanks Tim, was leaning towards the Yamaha. No idea what I haven’t tried it before now. I can say for a fact that my reels have a little water intrusion, so that makes sense with the Penn blue because of its makeup, especially since all I did was wade fish back then.